Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm

I haven't finished reading it yet. So far it has lasted 10 days. :D
I limit myself to 50 pages max a day, and often re-read good bits before moving on.

I regard at it as a box of finest Belgian chocolates, a bottle of really expensive wine, or making love to a beautiful woman. :roll: pass the vomit bag!
I can't simply "wham-bam-thank-you-mam" it. It can't be rushed, every little bit must be savoured. :lol:

I loved the crab bucket analogy but my favourite line to date is when Vetinari was talking about the evil inherent in nature, with mother and child otters eating mother and child salmon,

"If there is any kind of supreme being (I told myself), it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

I just love TP's atheism!" I certainly feel morally superior to any non-existent, bearded, old guy floating around on a cloud somewhere.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:40 am

poohcarrot wrote:"If there is any kind of supreme being (I told myself), it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

I noticed this too (not surprisingly). Loved it! I will in fact use it at the first opportunity.

...making love to a beautiful woman.

That takes you 10 days? :shock: Are you Sting?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Tubby not so bright but cuddly little yellow bear... ? Sting...? :twisted:

Nah! Pass the chocolate! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Dotsie wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:"If there is any kind of supreme being (I told myself), it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

I noticed this too (not surprisingly). Loved it! I will in fact use it at the first opportunity.

...making love to a beautiful woman.

I was referring to a prolonged length of time certain things take to maximixe ones utils of a specific enjoyable experience. Obviously nobody is going to take 10 days to drink a bottle of wine, eat a box of chocs or make love to a beautiful woman. (In respect to the latter, I have been known to take up to all of 2.5 minutes on a good day) :lol:

Sting?
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:05 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:...making love to a beautiful woman.

I was referring to a prolonged length of time certain things take to maximixe ones utils of a specific enjoyable experience. Obviously nobody is going to take 10 days to drink a bottle of wine, eat a box of chocs or make love to a beautiful woman. (In respect to the latter, I have been known to take up to all of 2.5 minutes on a good day) :lol:

Sting?

Definitely not Sting then, although I believe he's on record as saying his ventures into tantric sex for 10 hours (allegedly), includes begging, wining and dining, possibly chocolates, and salacious talk which doesn't leave an awful lot of time for 'it', what with driving to and from restaurants and possibly dropping off babysitters - but obviously a leetle more than 2.5 minutes... :wink:

Personally I'm all for short and sweet as I much prefer a good book at bedtime, or a cup of cocoa. Very easily pleased me and as Pooh says, ekeing out small pleasures is most rewarding :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 pm

"eke"

Dats der bunny!

I'm an eker. I'm ekeing. :lol:
poohcarrot

Favourite line

Postby CJDobs » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:32 pm

I loved the possessed whistle and I paraphrase:

"ANY BOY WHOSE NOT BROUGHT HIS KIT WILL PLAY IN HIS PANTS"

Glenda deserves another book too, she was a star.
CJDobs

Postby chris.ph » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:09 pm

how does that saying go pooh "as long as i enjoy myself who cares"

2.5minutes my god ive had a fag and rolled over and been asleep for a minute by then :lol: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:15 pm

mroobalooba wrote:One of my favourite parts of the book was when we're first introduced to Nutt and meanwhile the wizards are running around shouting and attempting to catch Rincewind...pure genius and utterly bonkers :D

"Aho!! The Megapode!!" Yes, that was fantastic.

Dotsie wrote:Without a doubt, my favourite line is when Nutt tries to compliment Glenda:

"You are very kind," he beamed, "and a very handsome lady with your two enormous chests that indicate bountifulness and fecundity--"

Bless! :lol:

Glenda is wonderful, she grows and grows and learns and Anybody who can MAKE good piecrust is Tits in my book.

One of the good quotes is:

"Glenda sat down and started to read. A lifetime of what even she would call bad romantic novels suddenly bore fruit. It read as though someone had turn on the poetry tap and then absent-mindedly gone on holiday."

The fact that she Knew it had been written by Mr. Nutt was amazing on it's own lol. :lol:

The next is, "Glenda thought, I used to be able to read you like a book--one with big colourful pages and not many words. And now I can't. What's happening? You're agreeing with me and I ought to feel smug about it, but I don't. I feel bad about it, and I don't know why, and it hurts." *that is sort of about you pooh*

Rincewind is just soooo funny. " 'I would like permission to fetch a note from my mother, sir' Ridcully sighed. 'rincewind, you once informed me, to my everlasting puzzlement, that you never knew your mother because she ran away before you were born. Distinctly remember writing it down in my diary. Would you like another try?' 'Permission to go and find my mother?' " Personally, I love Rincewind.

Other than that, oh about 2/3's of the book and the other 1/3 too.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby B.B.Shrooms » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 pm

mroobalooba wrote:One of my favourite parts of the book was when we're first introduced to Nutt and meanwhile the wizards are running around shouting and attempting to catch Rincewind...pure genius and utterly bonkers :D

Yeah, easily the best part of the book for me as well!
B.B.Shrooms

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:09 am

Reading it for the second time, I laughed out loud at the "My Fair Lady" joke. Missed it the first time! :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:44 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Reading it for the second time, I laughed out loud at the "My Fair Lady" joke. Missed it the first time! :lol:
Me too! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:26 am

I know I remember that there was a my fair lady joke, I just can't remember what it was. Gah!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:09 am

Top of page 49 :D
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 am

Dat's der bunny :lol:
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books