Audio Books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 am

Most of the Books are on the UK site ARE in Unabridged format BUT not all.......

Night Watch

The Wee Free Men

Only in Abridged formats......... NO THANKS! :shock:

And at the moment Unseen only in Abridged to......... No good.

Sorry but I don't see the point in getting Half a Book...

And Tony Robinson is a terrible reader... :(

In my opinion...
mspanners

Postby windle poons » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:56 pm

The Amazing Maurice is also only the abridged version read by tony robinson even if its listed as unabridged I submitted a complaining review of it but for some reason it never got put on the site
Bob
windle poons

Postby mspanners » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:34 am

You are quite right Windle Pons, I have tried to download Maurice and although it is in my Library as Book 1 of 2 of the UNABRIDGED Book it downloads the ABRIDGED version...............

I am getting totally *issed off with the UK site. I have sent them yet another message requesting where the UNABRIDGED version that is said to be in my Library and am awaiting a response.

I also mentioned to them that I am considering contacting the Advertising Standards Agency about their misleading 'Complete Terry Pratchett Collection' banner on their site.

I do not hold out much hope that they will fix problems with site and not much hope they will get the UNABRIDGED Night Watch,Maurice or Wee Free Men (or for that matter Unseen) any time soon.

I will use my Two credits this month then cancel my subs.

Advice to anyone else considering using these people is don't.

Shop around and you could find these titles on the net.
mspanners

Postby mspanners » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Update refunded Maurice so now have an extra credit.. not that it is any use as Night Watch, The Wee Free Men and Unseen are only in abridged format......... :(

POOT.
mspanners

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:00 am

mspanners wrote:You are quite right Windle Pons, I have tried to download Maurice and although it is in my Library as Book 1 of 2 of the UNABRIDGED Book it downloads the ABRIDGED version...............

I am getting totally *issed off with the UK site. I have sent them yet another message requesting where the UNABRIDGED version that is said to be in my Library and am awaiting a response.

I also mentioned to them that I am considering contacting the Advertising Standards Agency about their misleading 'Complete Terry Pratchett Collection' banner on their site.

I do not hold out much hope that they will fix problems with site and not much hope they will get the UNABRIDGED Night Watch,Maurice or Wee Free Men (or for that matter Unseen) any time soon.

I will use my Two credits this month then cancel my subs.

Advice to anyone else considering using these people is don't.

Shop around and you could find these titles on the net.

I think audible.co.uk is terrible is this respect.

What possible justification have they for holding release of these unabridged titles?

I really want to purchase a copy of Unseen Academicals (Unabridged) but here in the UK there doesn't seem any way I can nor is there likely to be anytime soon judging by the fact you cant get a lot of his other recent books in unabridged format.

It's totally senseless, I dont see the point of abridged audiobooks.

I will probably go the illegal path & download it on a torrent & so Terry Pratchett, HarperCollins & Audible will all miss out on my custom.

I'm loathe to do this but if I cant purchase it legally?

EDIT

Got it via rapidshare download, sorry Harper audio & Audible but you fucked up!
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Good For You!! I am so sorry I could not help, but audio books aren't my gig yet, me eyebulbs will have to get much worse. Heck, now that I have started back therapy and all these other doctors, I feel like I have gone from 0mph to 200mph every fisking day lately, and will be for the next 4 months at least according to the therapist. you have to in order to get any REAL good from it. I want to DANCE again. Shake, Shake, Shake,... Shake, Shake, Shake,.. Shake your Booty, Shake your Booty! :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby mspanners » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:12 pm

It is tempting to use a P2P but I feel it is ripping Terry off, He put in the effort to write the Books so should get the profits from them.

But I can see where you are coming from and I find it annoying that the Audio Book is available else where.

Here for example.

http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Academical ... 0061868299

Why the delay in the UK?

Just found out the UK release date for the Unabridged version Read by S Briggs is out on Dec 1st.......... nearly 6 Months after the US release!
mspanners

Postby Cheery » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 pm

I've just got a question about audiobooks and I'd be grateful if anyone could answer quickly (it's for a present): Are there any unabridged MP3 downloads for Discworld audiobooks around?

Thing is: I'd like to get an audiobook for a friend of mine and after all the trouble I've had with mine (it took them almost five months to get here) I would be relieved to find a easier (and shorter) way.

I know it's a bit late for this sort of stuff now, since Christmas is two days away, but I've just found out that my friend's a great discworld and audiobook fan (yes, I've found out very early :roll: :lol: ). It would be the perfect present. (and she doesn't expect it at all. She thinks I'm going to get her a card and a box of chocs :lol: )
Cheery

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:06 am

Cheery yes Isis only do unabridged mp3's but quite expensive.

http://www.isis-publishing.co.uk/

And A Amazon company called audible do both but check to see who is doing the reading on them.

http://www.audible.co.uk/aduk/site/index.j
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:52 am

audible didn't work the last time, but I'll try again. If that doesn't work I'll go to isis, I think.
Thanks so much, Dug! You just saved my life :D

EDIT: But it was audible germany the last time, so it should work now. Thanks again!
Cheery

Postby bogieman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I just bought Unseen academical's from iTunes and it worked fine and is now on my ipod an is BRILLIANT so far :D
bogieman

Postby raisindot » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Cheery wrote:I've just got a question about audiobooks and I'd be grateful if anyone could answer quickly (it's for a present): Are there any unabridged MP3 downloads for Discworld audiobooks around?

In the U.S., I use Audible.com to get downloads of my fav DW books. I only get the unabridged versions. I download them directly into Itunes, but you can get them as non-player-specific audio files as well. The only caveat may be that Audibles links a file with a specific account to prevent one from sending the file to many people. Not so sure about this.

Taking advantage of Audible's "free trial offers" that allow you free downloads for trying it out, I'm currently listening to "Thief of Time" and have "Carpe Jugulum" (both of which have eonly recently become available on Audible.com) and "Unseen Academicals" on tap.

Audible also offers a new supposedly better sounding audio format. I've downloaded both the "regular" and "better" sounding files for it (the latter are twice as large, filesizewise).

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby Cheery » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks for the info! I got her "the fith elephant" (her fav book) from audible now, the sound's pretty good.
Thank you so much for your help! :D
Cheery

Postby raisindot » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Cheery wrote:Thanks for the info! I got her "the fith elephant" (her fav book) from audible now, the sound's pretty good.
Thank you so much for your help! :D

Oh, TFE is both my first Audible download and my favorite (well, Thud is perhaps my favorite). When you start listening to these things you then develop a penchant for favorite readers. Personally, I prefer Stephen Briggs (who does almost everything from "TFE" on), whose voicings are nearly always spot on. Others prefer Nigel Planer and the other reaers. All a matter of personal preference.

The only things I don't like about the Audible files are that they are pretty large, so on my 16gig iPod Nano (already filled with other stuff) I can't keep more than one or two of the files on it at the same time. And, although the single files are split into "books," it isn't easy getting back to a specific part. If you don't hold down the iPod forward or backward button when trying to "scroll" through it you end up at the previous or next chapter. This can be very frustrating. Still, it's easy to manage than uploading all this stuff from 10 CDs.

Enjoy!

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby N1v3n » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I have Colour of Magic; Light Fantastic; and Thief of Time. I've borrowed many others from the library.
Perfect for in the car or long train journeys, or even chilling with a cold one and catching some rays 8)

- not for the rest of the week though :(
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books