How do you feel today? 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: How do you feel today? 5

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am

:shock:

edit and by that shocked look I mean wow and thank goodness that no one was hurt
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby cheery_j. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 am

Yes, you probably should have. :D

Glad you're okay and proud you're a hero.

(Sorry, I don't get that pony stuff and hope this is not seen as a faux pas in the pony community, but I thought a superhero pony would be appropriate...)
cheery_j.

Postby wicked woman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:13 am

Well done raptorn
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 am

As above.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Dotsie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am

Shocker! :shock: Glad no one was hurt. Doesn't the building have building fire alarms, so you don't need to warn people yourselves?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 am

Well done indeed! And I'm so glad that no one was hurt.

A friend of ours in Green Bay, Wisconsin was driving home a few years ago and was passed by several fire trucks. As she got closer she realised that her apartment complex was on fire. She lost almost everything, including one of her cats - the other she managed to rescue by sneaking past the firemen and going into her apartment.

Al she had left was the clothes she was wearing, her car and a slightly singed and smoky cat. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 am

Glad no one was hurt Raptor. :D I had to go into a building that was on fire once (mostly smoke but little flame) and know from experience that it's not something I would want to do again. were your lungs ok afterwards, because even a little smoke inhalation can be very unpleasant?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Holy moly, Raptor! That's some scary stuff! Glad that no one was hurt and that your apartment wasn't (hopefully) too affected.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm

grabbed a couple pics now that its light out.

you can see where the flames were outside the door. little above head height. why we couldn't get any closer.

not a hero or anything, i didn't save anyone and it wasn't just me. just, did something. did the job that was in front of me as it were.

the alarms didn't go off on my side of the building, and half of them didn't go off on that side. (i think one of them was near there so could have gotten fried. plus the fire burning the ceiling of the hallway like that knocked out the lights in the hallway for the entire building. so who knows what other wires were running through there.) eitherway its no guarantee it would be heard. I know more then anyone about being a heavy sleeper. just wanted to be sure in anycase. at the time we didn't know if it would spread.

All the smoke was going up and out on the side I was on (the right side of the pics) so didn't breath in too much. plus i didn't get right in front of the door as I didn't know if anything would blow out at me. so I came in at an angle. the hallway the pics were taken in was filled though, and its still strong.

Tony, yeah, I couldn't imagine losing everything. especially my cats.

Cheery, yeah I didn't think of it till after, when I was walking through the grass back to my side of the building and stepped on burs/jaggers :lol: and cute pic. I dunno if its the hair or the skin color but that looks kinda like Christopher Reeve :D

Raisin, nah, i'm on the same floor, but opposite side so I'm fine.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Well done Raptor and I'm glad nobody was hurt :shock:

Still feeling a bit tired and sad over Xena (had that no sleep at all Wednesday night and very little since) but I had some goodish news at the weekend over my benefits. Like a lot of people on Incapacity Benefit which will stop at the end of this month, I was being re-assessed by Dept of Work and Pensions and they've decided that I'm eligible to continue receiving contribution-based ESA benefits rather than going back onto Job Seekers as I'm not fit enough to work.

There was an element of the Lord giveth and taketh away to this as I received a £19 increase to my IB in February and when I go onto ESA next month it'll be - yeah you guessed it, £19 less than I was getting on IB for 2 months. Not really a problem as we're managing OK on the old rate but really isn't this typical of the government with cutting back all over. At least I qualified for ESA and won't be nagged into regular assessments on my unemployability as I only need to go to Job Centre interviews on a voluntary basis or if my circumstances change for the better at some point which isn't likely now I'm properly diagnosed with COPD so no more worrying about jumping through benefit agency hoops anymore :roll: :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby cheery_j. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:55 pm

raptornx01 wrote:not a hero or anything, i didn't save anyone and it wasn't just me. just, did something. did the job that was in front of me as it were.

To me everyone who grabs a fire extinguisher or does first aid instead of taking pictures and getting in the way of the professionals is a hero.

a slightly singed and smoky cat.

A colleague of mine is a volunteer fire fighter and he once told me about a fire, where they rescued a budgie at the last possible moment. He did a great impression of a sooty, hot, coughing budgie! :mrgreen:
cheery_j.

Postby chillicamper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:41 am

Sorry to hear about both of your losses Antiq and Jan :cry: :cry:

Glad you were ok with the fire, Rap - scary stuff.

Today I'm nervous - it's MOT day for the camper - I know if it fails I can fix it, but I can't help getting nervous. With any newer car I've owed I could not care less, and if they failed I just fixed them (or paid the bill to fix them if I couldn't). But I don't like people prodding and poking José. :roll:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 am

A brave thing and a stupid thing, trying to fight a fire, getting everyone out that you can was the right thing, but you should get out and stay out till the Fire brigade tell you that it's ok to go back in :o
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:04 am

Alanz wrote:A brave thing and a stupid thing, trying to fight a fire, getting everyone out that you can was the right thing, but you should get out and stay out till the Fire brigade tell you that it's ok to go back in :o

I don't agree with you there, Alanz. I think it's perfectly normal and commendable to try and do what you can, while not putting yourself at risk. Most fire safety notices in the workplace suggest that you try and fight the fire if possible.

You wouldn't leave someone who was injured without trying to help while you waited for an ambulance to arrive.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 am

That's good that you got renewed Jan. least they let you have that much. :D

Cheery, thanks.

Chilli, good luck with Jose. :)

Alan and Tony, I don't entirely disagree. There would always be risks doing that but I couldn't stand by and do nothing. Once Fire rescue got there we stepped back though. My Grandfather was a fireman at one time so I know enough to get out of the way. :)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum