32%
The only rational form of healing
No votes
I don't really know enough about homoeopathy to give an informed opinion
8%

Total votes : 25

Re: Homoeopathy

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 am

raptornx01 wrote:ooooh, it must REALLY irk you then when doctors recommend Acupuncture as a viable treatment for certain ailments. :lol:

It amazes and saddens me deeply,when people that at least should have a decent brain,don't use it for whatever reasons(actively conning or mistakenly 'believing'),that's very true. :cry:
And i agree that it does do harm to promote these fairytales as actual medicinal practices,which they are certainly not,so i will always take a firm stand against these fraudulent practices.
I have walked away(more like ran from) from a vet who promoted sticking needles in pets and would do the same with anyone in the human side of medicine.

As Granny Weatherwax would rightly observe,it's all just headology! ;)
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:15 am

Mycroft Vimes wrote:It amazes and saddens me deeply,when people that at least should have a decent brain,don't use it for whatever reasons(actively conning or mistakenly 'believing'),that's very true.

Or they just happen to believe the studies done that have shown positive results.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Which would those be?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:40 pm

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Antiq » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Wow, The vote is interesting :lol:
I chose completely bogus, but with some small reservations. I do think there are homeopathic remedies which are somewhat helpful in a very mild way, but I think it's more likely their placebo effect is what can be significant. Placebos can't be underrated. I have tried various remedies from time to time, being very dubious of their likely effect. Most made no difference, a few were mildly helpful. I don't think it's any harm to try them if you have VERY MINOR ailments. Ginger tea does soothe the stomach, for instance, and licorice will help constipation, and so forth, but I would certainly choose "normal" medication for anything more than the most minor problem. Having said that, almost all medication has it's drawbacks and risks and side-effects. I try to stay away from any of it as much as possible, but no, bottles of fresh air and grass?......i do believe 95% of it is rubbish.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks raptornx.

Antiq:
Ginger Tea and Liquorice may be fine, but they're not homoeopathic, so I don't really follow.

ChristianBecker

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 pm

It would help if you defined what you see as homeopathy rather than referring to a Wikipedia page which the reader then defines for themselves.

The medical profession is well known for avoiding layman's terms so my translation of wiki is as follows;

Some guy from the past decided that disease was all in the mind, therefore the cure was all in the mind but to be convincing, 'medicines' were made up (Sugar water) and that's how we get the placebo effect.

I admit I got bored of reading it after that as its all a load of faeces.

Homeopathy is an alternative therapy (so is not taking anything at all) and a lot of people see it as an all encompassing thing which includes ye olde home remedies, massage, and even the 100% successful made from natural snake oil salesmen healing crystals. :D
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Bickaxe wrote:It would help if you defined what you see as homeopathy rather than referring to a Wikipedia page which the reader then defines for themselves.

Bickaxe wrote:It would help if you defined what you see as homeopathy...
Homeopathy is an alternative therapy ... and a lot of people see it as an all encompassing thing which includes ye olde home remedies, massage, and even the 100% successful made from natural snake oil salesmen healing crystals. :D

Right, forgot about the Dunning-Kruger-effect. How could people who think they know about something (like homoeopathy) know they don't really know. :D

ChristianBecker

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Bickaxe wrote:Homeopathy is an alternative therapy (so is not taking anything at all) and a lot of people see it as an all encompassing thing which includes ye olde home remedies, massage, and even the 100% successful made from natural snake oil salesmen healing crystals. :D

You're right there is a lot of confusion over the term, but it is not synonymous with 'alternative medicine'; it refers to a specific practise. The word itself has two Greek roots. 'Homious' meaning 'of the same kind' and 'pathy' meaning 'suffering, disease'. Putting them together, its meant to convey 'treatment of disease by use of a similar substance'. The word was coined by a Samuel Hanhemann in 1824, its inventor.

Here's the dictionary definition.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Wouldn't massage be legitimately considered physical therapy (assuming it's done by a massage therapist) and not alternative treatment?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm not a Reiki expert, but I think it's just about laying on hands to transfer energy. So some bloke strokes you for half an hour - very nice I'm sure, but probably not therapeutic ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 pm

I had a woman do that to me once, by the end if it I was very happy and if it falls under alternative therapy then I'll happily pay for more :icon-twisted:
Fiendish til the en-
Bickaxe

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 am

Bickaxe wrote:I had a woman do that to me once, by the end if it I was very happy and if it falls under alternative therapy then I'll happily pay for more :icon-twisted:

Just the once was it? ;)

I was a bit the worse for wear at a festival and stumbled into a reiki tent. Don't really remember what happened but ever since the smell of patchouli oil makes me want to give all my money to the nearest hippie.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:22 am

:lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bickaxe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:51 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:
Bickaxe wrote:I had a woman do that to me once, by the end if it I was very happy and if it falls under alternative therapy then I'll happily pay for more :icon-twisted:

Just the once was it? ;) .

:whistle:
Fiendish til the en-
Bickaxe

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum