Brisbane Broken Drummers?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:17 am

Are you planning on another one of these meet ups? :D

Make sure you let Jason know about it for the Discworld Monthly.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 am

Quatermass wrote:
Penfold wrote:I agree that the Daleks (and possibly the Cybermen) could do with a rest. Maybe they could bring back some of the older villains such as the Sea Devils (maybe a chance of a Lovecraftian homage there), or the Ice Warriors. :D

What about an ad-hoc poll as to which adversary we would like to make a comeback?

Well, I would have said the Silurians, but they came back in one of the better stories last series. I say...the Ice Warriors, the Great Intelligence (along with the Yeti), the Draconians (who are mentioned, but not seen in The Pandorica Opens, though the new Silurians look a bit too much like them), the Weed Creatures...hell, I could name a dozen or more Doctor Who monsters who deserve a comeback, never mind one-shot villains like the Celestial Toymaker, Omega (who is rumoured to be the ultimate villain of this series) and Fenric.

I SO agree. Bring back the old evil villians!

If you haven't watched any of the new series then you are SO missing out people. TOtally new feel to the show. Sotry lines are so much better in a full series.... and how could you possibly NOT watch a Neil Gaiman written episode? :shock:

I MUCH prefer the new Dr Who to the old.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Kittycat1977 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 am

For some strange reason this year they are splitting the series in half and the last episode of this half is tomorrow :cry: .

I have read some of the reviews and spoilers though and it looks fab, although it does end on a cliffhanger and I don't think the rest of the series runs until September-ish.
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Never mind Del, when it restarts in the Autumn maybe Australia won't have to wait a week for the episodes. :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:04 pm

:cry: Nah. I believe they put it back a week so that we can access it earlier on thieir net service. Having Dr Who on the net service makes the viewing numbers explode like they wouldn't otherwise. Barmen!!!!! (or something like that)
deldaisy

Re: Brisbane Broken Drummers?

Postby Whytelyon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Ok - so the Brisbane chapter of the Broken Drummers is 4 people & they've had 1 meeting?
Hmmm... Is there another meet in the planning?
Whytelyon

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Whytelyon wrote:Ok - so the Brisbane chapter of the Broken Drummers is 4 people & they've had 1 meeting?
Hmmm... Is there another meet in the planning?

I reread this thread and it seems that's pretty much the case. :? Panda's Thumb, who was trying to organise the events, hasn't posted on her in a while. Deldaisy frequently does (under a different username), and I suspect she'll be able to give you more info when she's here next.
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:43 pm

WELCOME WHYTELYON! Go on over to the Welcome thread so we can all say hi properly.

A meet up? Ohhh I love a good meet up. PandasThumb hasnt been on since forever. (maybe we scared her away :oops: ) She was luverly! There is really only me and Q in the Brissy area now on the forum and he's not really even IN Brissy. And if only two turn up its more like a blind date than a meeting of the Brissy Broken Drummers hey! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony wrote:Deldaisy frequently does (under a different username),

That be me!

Ohhhhh.. I sound all mysterious and spylike and that with an alias! :geek:

But dont let this deter you....... post away and join in the fun that is this forum.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Molokov » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 am

Del, Whytelyon, if you do manage to get a Brisbane Discworld fan group up and running again, please let us know about it so that this page can be updated: http://ausdwcon.org/pages/fanclubs

There are quite active groups that meet fairly frequently in Sydney, Melbourne/Geelong, Adelaide and Perth, and it seems like Brisbane is the only major Australian city that seems to not have much fan activity, although there's definitely some Queenslanders who've been along to Discworld Conventions.

[NOTE: I know of one big fan in Canberra, and two in Hobart, who are also regular conventioneers, but they don't seem to have enough interested people within those cities to have regular gatherings]
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Del » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 am

Hi Molokov. .. will do.

Maybe we Queenslanders are too laid back to do the club thang. :lol:

It would be good though. I know HEAPS of people while like TP... my oldest daughter is a HUGE.. but not on here. We go to the BAT (Brisbane Arts Theatre) for DW plays and they come out of the woodwork then. Hmmmm.... I should ask if on nights they have DW plays they put up a notice about the forum..... TP himself came one night.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby MsUlaWil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 am

Hello,
I'm new to all things Pratchett and would love to meet up with other Brisbanites who share an interest in discworld related stuff. I've also tried to contact the drummers with no luck, have searched facebook and Meetup and not found any official groups (though there are about 20 people on the wait list on meetup). I would be interested in starting something if there is enough interest eg a Meetup group. Do any of you know if anything has developed/changed recently?

p.s
we are talking about Bris in QLd right? :-)
MsUlaWil

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am

Welcome to the site, MsUlaWil! :D

Yes, Brisbane Qld. As mentioned, I think they only had one meeting. But there are other Brisbanians here who might be interested in getting something going. :) Del certainly may be up for it. She doesn't post so often these days, but she's still a regular.
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:03 am

Oh that's right.

Poor thing on her first foray into the forum, and you threaten her with Del.

;) :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Molokov » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 am

Having met Ula at Nullus Anxietas 4, she is a very enthusiastic fan, and you others in Brissy definitely should get together and try and get a core group going. Perhaps if you pick a place, date and time for your initial meetup (at a pub somewhere is usually good) then advertise it via Discworld Monthly and Wossname you might find other Brisvegans who are willing to join you for something social :D
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum