A Name Fit for a Pope

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: A Name Fit for a Pope

Postby =Tamar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 am

St.Francis wasn't so saintly before he got religion.
There really was a female pope, of a sort; during one of the times when there were several competing popes, one convent elected their abbess as their very own pope. She was executed later by the male pope that won the war, but she was crowned and addressed as pope for a while.
=Tamar

Postby chillicamper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 am

Well.......upset that they didn't use another of my name suggestions.......Pope Pourri :roll:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Will of Lancre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am

Or my favourite: Pope Innocent until proved Guilty. :D

Chilli - one of the best Private Eye cartoons ever is of a man in a bowler hat and orange sash demonstrating outside Culpeper's the Herbalists with a placard reading "No Pot-pourri". :mrgreen:
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby chillicamper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 am

Will of Lancre wrote:Or my favourite: Pope Innocent until proved Guilty. :D

Chilli - one of the best Private Eye cartoons ever is of a man in a bowler hat and orange sash demonstrating outside Culpeper's the Herbalists with a placard reading "No Pot-pourri". :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

Here's one suggested by my kids - Pope Ermon (pokemon :roll: ). I'm glad I'm raising them correctly :lol:
chillicamper

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am

Tonyblack wrote:They were fond of throwing people out of windows in Prague. :lol:

Well, as the tourism slogan goes - 'You don't know Prague until you've been thrown through one of our finest windows.'

Or am I getting mixed up with Glasgow again?
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 am

You know what I said when I heard that the latest Pope had taken the name of Francis?

I snarked, "He must be a sissy." :lol:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am

That belongs in the jokes thread :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 am

raptornx01 wrote:That belongs in the jokes thread :lol:

Why? Everyone else is making Pope-jokes. :roll:

BTW, since when did Ponies work at Aperture Science? :think:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:10 am

GabeN gave them special work visas because he's a huge brony. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:18 am

Can we call him Frank?

As in, 'Yo Frank, Bless this!'

I like it.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:Can we call him Frank?

We can, and some of us already do. :D
KnightOfFewWords

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 am

raisindot wrote:Let's not call him anything. Let's just ignore him.

I tried to ignore the whole thing, I was watching a quiz show but when the white smoke went out they cancelled every program on every channel to show it... the only channel not showing the pope was the one that has been constantly showing reruns of Walker Texas Ranger for 20 years... so I watched the pope...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 am

Someone mention Chuck Norris?

Hot news from the Vatican...white smoke appears. Chuck Norris has been elected Pope! All ye of faith, welcome Pope Charles deNoir-iz Kikyorectumis.

Chuck Norris made the pope question his own sexuality.

Chuck Norris once was playing a friendly game of golf with the pope. When Chuck shanked a ball into the bunker he began cursing. The pope said, “I will pray for you my son.” Norris proceeded to roundhouse kick him to the face stating that no one prays for Chuck Norris besides Chuck Norris, then he stole his wallet.

Chuck Norris, the Pope and Jesus are all out in the middle of a lake on a small boat. Jesus says he will walk on the water across to the small island on the middle of the lake. So Jesus steps out of the boat and manages to reach the island without getting a single drop of water on him. Chuck Norris says he wants to have a shot so he steps out of the boat. He too, makes it across to the small island. Next the Pope decides to have a shot. He steps out of the boat but immediately falls in the water. On the island, Jesus says to Chuck Norris, "Do you think we should have told him about the stepping stones?" to which Chuck replies, "What stepping stones?"
raptornx01

Postby chillicamper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 am

It was interesting hearing another perspective on the new Pope from an Argentine lady who was very unhappy to hear she had an Argentinian Pope.

She was shocked to hear he was Pope. She said that when the military rulers of Argentina were 'disappearing' thousands of people who protested against them, the Catholic church did nothing. In fact in many cases they protected the regime. Many of her friends are the 'lost generation' - they disappeared and were never found.

It's said this 'humble' guy cares for the people, yet he did not speak out against what the military were doing. Worse still she said it was known that he actually blessed the planes that took off with thousands of bodies of 'the disappeared' to be dumped in rivers.

I have a feeling we might hear more stories about the pope in forthcoming years. :think:
chillicamper

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 pm

raptornx01 wrote:GabeN gave them special work visas because he's a huge brony. :lol:

I guess GlaDOS likes ponies and birds more than she likes people or fellow AIs... :think:

chillicamper wrote:It was interesting hearing another perspective on the new Pope from an Argentine lady who was very unhappy to hear she had an Argentinian Pope.

She was shocked to hear he was Pope. She said that when the military rulers of Argentina were 'disappearing' thousands of people who protested against them, the Catholic church did nothing. In fact in many cases they protected the regime. Many of her friends are the 'lost generation' - they disappeared and were never found.

It's said this 'humble' guy cares for the people, yet he did not speak out against what the military were doing. Worse still she said it was known that he actually blessed the planes that took off with thousands of bodies of 'the disappeared' to be dumped in rivers.

I have a feeling we might hear more stories about the pope in forthcoming years. :think:

Well, what can you do? Have Popes ever been impeached from outside the Catholic Church? I doubt it. They protect their own, like any cloistered organisation, and often at the expense of true justice. And they can claim to have God to justify it. Heh. Reminds me about what Dylan Moran said about religions and imaginary friends...

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum