The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Postby Quatermass » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am

Oh...my...god. I am but two chapters away from finishing my current draft of that book I mentioned. This draft, while rough around the edges, will be to my satisfaction. :shock: 75K words. A bit of a comedown compared to the 140K of the original version, but this version is a lot better, a lot less clunky, more streamlined, and I want to write the sequels! :D
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 pm

:clap: keeping yourself motivated is half the battle! :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Sounds good :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Quatermass » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 am

Finished! :dance:

This calls for celebratory music!

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby michelanCello » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Can we have a sneak-peak? :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:20 am

michelanCello wrote:Can we have a sneak-peak? :D

No. Sorry. I have a thing about posting examples of my work online. So please don't ask, because my refusal may offend.

Actually, I started a new novel today. It was, albeit distantly, derived from one I attempted to do for the TP Prize. I've taken the main character and part of the setting, but that's it.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby michelanCello » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:57 pm

No offence taken, I understand :)
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Only two and a half weeks to go... :|

The anxiety is killing me...

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 pm

:angry-chillpill: Full empathy in this antipodes for you Q - at least we'll know whether or not we have another 3 months of nail biting by April Fools, or can just puddle off to recover in the time-honoured way... :angry-banghead:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote::angry-chillpill: Full empathy in this antipodes for you Q - at least we'll know whether or not we have another 3 months of nail biting by April Fools, or can just puddle off to recover in the time-honoured way... :angry-banghead:

Two months. I think that the actual winner(s) announcement is at the end of May.

But yeah. At the moment, the well of my creativity has dried up, and the only thing that gives me pleasure at the moment is playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. And I had...what, three books being worked on? Those have gone down the crapper PFQ. I don't even have the motivation to do revisions on that book I completed... :|

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 am

Yeah you're right - 31st of May for the finalists :shifty: Still - at least Spring'll be springing well and truly by the end of the month. The sun's out here today and the daffodils are looking lovely :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:03 pm

I know it's a load of hokum but this is my homepage stars today :lol:

Russell Grant for Cancer wrote:A chance to publish a piece of written work is coming your way. Take this opportunity to outline a novel, write a short story, or craft the opening scene of a screenplay. Keep your feelers out for someone who has connections to a media corporation. This contact will be invaluable. It never hurts to know someone in your desired industry. If you have had difficulty collecting a debt, file some legal papers. The threat of a lawsuit may be enough to get it paid.

Nothing doing on the debt front though :roll:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:44 am

Heh.

Hey, JVQ, did you find it difficult to write within the confines of the contest? I have to confess that I did for two reasons: the need for realism, and the minimum word limit of 80K words. The former precluded my using a number of ideas, and the latter stymied more than one idea that did get through.

And then, when I came to read Apocalypse Cow and Half-Sick of Shadows, I was annoyed, particularly at the latter. Because in the latter, there is time travel (it even says so on the blurb), and while that doesn't technically fall under physically impossible, I had resolved to avoid as much as possible any Clarke's Law handwaves.

On another note, I have many books in the works, including a new take on my postcyberpunk one, another one that could be called a urban fantasy horror book, one of the novels I had intended for the TP Prize back in 2010, and a historical science fiction novel that I am having second thoughts. Oh, and a sequel to that rewritten ovel I said I finished recently. The rewrite gave me the confidence to start on the sequels. I have a better idea of where the sequels are going...

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 am

Incidentally, I'm listening to this, a fan-made version of the current Doctor Who theme, but with the middle eight...

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Really liking that vid! :clap:

I did and I didn't find it difficult to make the criteria in that it's so geared towards being an alternate Earth and obeying the same laws of Physics that really anything that's fictionalised to some extent will fit. My own story will get published whatever and I was close to completion when I decided that it could qualify in this competition more or less even though there's little of the fantasy or sci-fi element in the theme (some myth and folklore aspects). It deals with social and cultural elements and emotional health post-war/violent trauma with a 'names changed to protect the innocent' approach to fictionalise actual conflicts in West and Central African locations (Biafra for real and the Rwanda genocide reworked) and the only true alternative element is in featuring a Utopian community solution under the auspices of a UN style project with fictional aid/relief organisations woven into efforts that are actually being attempted in the real world.

I think for this compy they did revise the criteria slightly and certainly the novel size (I think it was between 70 - 120K previously) so that the parameters of the science side of things was more proscribed so that people were having to write not too far from reality, which has some merit in that, if you can't write coherently about things that actually are (or could easily be) how can you write about things that really aren't? Even fantasy has to have some rules I guess but how that's interpreted for this contest may be open to argument as to how far you can roam around reality and I know I haven't departed too far from that line to the extent that maybe I don't truly meet the criteria that well or at all. :shifty:

As for future projects - I'm working on a more classic fantasy series that has some sci-fi origins (it's got some nods to Darkover, Earthsea and Dune/Arrakis) but concerns an archaic but high-functioning civilisation and some supernatural aspects :P I'm not writing too much for it yet but I have been having some fun mapping the world it all happens on so once this month is over and I know what, if any, success I've had with the finished novel I'll be working on the new stuff more or less full time :D
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett