What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Alanz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote::? That sounds more like Maskerade. ;)

Oh yea my mistake, i'm getting mixed up again...music with rocks with Susan Death, that's it isn't it....I've just got The Truth in hard back, i asked for paperback, but hey, it looks a good read so might read that next :D
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 pm

I enjoyed Lamb too, one of his better ones. I bought my dad Fool for christmas, I'd forgotten how much swearing there was in it :oops: But that's a good one too.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 pm

I have only read Practical Demonkeeping but I have a few on my kindle to read. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I have only read Practical Demonkeeping but I have a few on my kindle to read. :mrgreen:

Who's that one by Doug :?:
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:25 am

It's Christopher Moore
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks, Maybe a good read, i'll check it out :D
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

I've just finished 'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared'. It's lovely and funny :D

Next I'll be reading Janet Evanovich's Eleven on Top.
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Dotsie wrote:I've just finished 'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared'. It's lovely and funny :D

Good to hear! I was wondering about that one.

Re: Christopher Moore books, I loved Practical Demonkeeping, Sacre Bleu and Dirty Job too! The only one of his that I remember not enjoying was Fluke.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Read another Merrily Watkins book. Again, not fabulous, but a good mystery and something to read. Although, he does give some of his characters horrible lines, especially the new-agey ones, something like "He didn't feel immersed in the residual Templarism of the area." Where's that little gagging smiley?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Oh, that's funny. Fluke is one of my favorites. I think my least favorite was the one set on an island with the cargo cult theme. Forgot its name.
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Oh, wait... Island of the Sequined Love Nun I think? Something like that. Yes, that one was bad. Maybe I'll give Fluke another try. It's been a really long time since I've read it.
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I loved Island of the Sequinned Love Nun! It was one of my favourites! :lol: The vampire ones lost momentum by the second, and I haven't read the third yet. Mr Dotsie complained about it all the way through, so I haven't got round to it yet.
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Fluke I remember, but I can't remember if I liked it or not... :?
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm

It was the first Moore I read. For me I guess it had a similar effect as reading Thief of Time--the first randomly selected book of a prolific author, said book happening to be a more or less standalone book compared to the author's more established series. Maybe I liked it as much as I did because it was the first book of his I read, same as I did TOT.
raisindot

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

I've just finished a book on life in the year 1000, a short history book packed full of interesting details. To take one small example, I keep forgetting that rabbits are a Norman import.

I'm now half way through The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, which I'm finding engrossing. Quite a strange book, but it works because it has it's own crazy internal logic.
KnightOfFewWords

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books