A Name Fit for a Pope

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: A Name Fit for a Pope

Postby wicked woman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:56 pm

KnightOfFewWords wrote:An alternative explanation for that throne is nearly as bizarre; it's possible that it was used to check if the Pope had been castrated. Quite how this would disqualify someone for popery is hard to say - maybe it was considered 'cheating' on the vow of celibacy.

:lol: :lol:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

The election of Pope Gregory X took 2 years, 9 months and *mumblemumble* days. :shock:

In the end the cardinals were put on a bread and water diet in order to encourage a quick decision, but the citizens of Viterbo had to take the roof off the building, where the election took place. It was autumn and the weather seems to have decided the election. Oh, and the guy they elected was a) far away on a crusade b) not a priest.

I wish papal elections were still as bizarre as they used to be... :mrgreen:
cheery_j.

Postby Will of Lancre » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

possible that it was used to check if the Pope had been castrated. Quite how this would disqualify someone for popery is hard to say - maybe it was considered 'cheating' on the vow of celibacy.

That's right. If you can't do it at all, there is no virtue in abstaining. ;)

The Pope Joan legend had lots of currency during the Reformation as one of the Reformers' arguments against the papacy ("...and of course one of them was really a... woman!" :shock: ). Which just goes to show that using made-up stories to back up a rotten argument wasn't invented by the Daily Mail.

What I want to know is: how do you get a job as Rome correspondent during a papal election? It is potentially the greatest doddle on earth: you just need to write a report every evening saying "still no pope" and fill it up with unsubstantiated speculation. It could go on for weeks! :D
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby majomull » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Acapinhisass.
Whiskey is sunlight held together with water.
majomull

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 pm

cheery_j. wrote:In the end the cardinals were put on a bread and water diet in order to encourage a quick decision, but the citizens of Viterbo had to take the roof off the building, where the election took place.

Yes, that farce helped establish the conclave rules, to encourage the Cardinals to actually reach a decision. Conclave literally means 'with a key', they are effectively locked up and shut off from the outside world.

Will of Lancre wrote:The Pope Joan legend had lots of currency during the Reformation as one of the Reformers' arguments against the papacy ("...and of course one of them was really a... woman!" :shock: ). Which just goes to show that using made-up stories to back up a rotten argument wasn't invented by the Daily Mail.

I'm reminded of the second Defenestration of Prague, where three Catholic officials were thrown out of a window in 1618, helping to precipitate the Thirty Years War. Amazingly, all three survived the seventy foot drop. The Catholics claimed that they were supported by angels; the Protestants that they fell into a dung heap. There was at least some compensation for the secretary - he was later appointed 'Baron of Highfall' in memory of the incident.

History... you really can't make this stuff up.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

They were fond of throwing people out of windows in Prague. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Watchman44 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has been elected as Pope Francis I
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:30 pm

That will please the bookies, nobody was betting on a new name
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Ooh, an Argie. Wonder if he will receive word from god that The Falklands belongs to the British?

My partner is watching it (being Irish Catholic). I lost interest before it was even announced.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Oh, we enjoyed the commentary. Would you believe that some people had come to St Peters Square ON FOOT? :shock:

Also, I guess you can't go wrong with receiving an indulgence. If I get run over by a bus tomorrow, I'm on the safe side. :D
cheery_j.

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 pm

I can only assume he's taken the name in memory of Francis of Assisi. This could be an attempt to break with recent scandals; after all, Saint Francis is famous for his vow of poverty, and for liking birds.

The Mad Collector wrote:That will please the bookies, nobody was betting on a new name

Indeed - wonder if a few Cardinals are looking at their newly returned smartphones wistfully right now.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Alanz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 pm

A name fit for a Pope...What about "No2" :lol:
Alanz

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 pm

bickaxe wrote:Ooh, an Argie. Wonder if he will receive word from god that The Falklands belongs to the British?

My partner is watching it (being Irish Catholic). I lost interest before it was even announced.

I'm sure that the good people of the Malvinas will be delighted with a bird-fancying pope - plenty of penguins down there on St. Georges... :roll: Just as well they got their referendum in first :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Alanz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Plenty of Wildlife at Gritvikan South Georgia, a good place to study them :D
Alanz

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm

:doh: D'oh! I meant South Georgia - been watching too much re-runs of Yes Prime Minister lately :lol:

Also been looking at pics of Franny the First... :shifty: He looks quite a lot like Pope Paul VI- an ardent supporter of the rhythm method. :roll: Let's hope this new one has learnt a little more about the birds and the bees like his medieval namesake :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum