What made you smile today? 6

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 6

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 pm

I resemble that remark.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby cheery_j. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Great news, everyone!

Today the crocuses in my garden made me smile. :D
cheery_j.

Postby Dotsie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:24 pm

I was smiling at the crocuses in the village :D I didn't even mind the school trip that was going on - noisily.

Bouncy Castle wrote:I resemble that remark.

I resemble the one on the left.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Being able to put my washing on the line for the first time in ages! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:57 pm

You could have saved it all up for Tucson, Tony, I think they have better drying weather there. ;)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Alanz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 pm

It's been Pea Soup here all day, nearly missed the turning for work.... :lol:
Alanz

Postby wicked woman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Bad luck Alanz.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby =Tamar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 am

janet wrote:I have a feeling that there's a (regrettable) trend towards breeding miniature ponies as pets.

Miniature horses apparently are the result of some mutations in wild herds that were trapped in small canyons for many generations. People found them (decades ago) and began keeping, breeding, and selling them as pets. The color and shape variations allow slight resemblances to many full sized breeds, and although the miniatures are not related (I believe they are not crossbred either), they are often touted as being miniatures of whatever breed the particular individual happens to resemble. I believe that on average they have about the same intelligence as the average full-sized horse, but that says nothing about any individual horse of any size. Or color.
=Tamar

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 am

They seem to be about as clever as dogs, because they can be guide ponies for blind people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_horse
cheery_j.

Postby janet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 am

=Tamar wrote:
janet wrote:I have a feeling that there's a (regrettable) trend towards breeding miniature ponies as pets.

Miniature horses apparently are the result of some mutations in wild herds that were trapped in small canyons for many generations.

That dancing pony is a Shetland and, if my eyes don't deceive me, the larger grey pony is of the Highland type. These are the two breeds of pony native to Scotland. The Shetland Islands lie to the North of mainland Scotland and give their name to the short but extremely tough Shetland pony. No canyons up there but the restriction of a group of islands probably led to a limited gene pool.
My argument with the miniaturising of horses is based on the fact that a domesticated horse is a working animal. Indeed the Shetland pony in its home habitat is a working animal, capable of doing a day's haulage around the croft and carrying a small adult. It's certainly not a pony to put a small child aboard as it's way too strong and intelligent........walk to grass, put down head to eat grass, decant small child over head and onto grass, eat around small child......... But for older children who can ride already and have the length of leg needed to get round their barrelly bodies, Shetland ponies can provide great fun. Those Shetland pony Grand Nationals you see can only take place with the co-operation of the Shetlands and boy, do they have fun.
Mucking about with them genetically to produce something 'small and cute' removes this capability but not the need to channel energy and intelligence. Horses in a domestic environment get bored and develop all kinds of traits which are seen as undesirable in a pet. Then, just like every other pet animal once the novelty has worn off, they get dumped complete with bad habits.
And we all know what happens to unwanted horses don't we kiddies? :evil: :evil:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby janet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am

Group of 5 oystercatchers circling above in a state of high excitement and whistling to each other.
Yay! They're back from the seaside, thinking about nesting and spring must be on the way.
AND they have to be the same 5 who were around all last summer :D :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:50 am

That advert is actually filmed on Shetland, so they are probably all Shetland ponies. That's where Errata and her mum, Selkie live. I had the great pleasure a few years ago of visiting them there. It's a truly beautiful place with Shetland ponies everywhere! :D
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am

janet wrote:Group of 5 oystercatchers circling above in a state of high excitement and whistling to each other.
Yay! They're back from the seaside, thinking about nesting and spring must be on the way.
AND they have to be the same 5 who were around all last summer :D :D

Like this post. :D

Had a pair of pigeons getting together in the garden. :D Got it right this time, saw them a couple of weeks ago and one was sitting on the other ones HEAD. :lol: Don't think that works. Got blackbirds nesting in the garden too. :dance:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Penfold » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am

It's great to see the birdies coming back. There was a heron at the Wetlands Trust the other day but it was just too far away to get a decent photo of it.

What made me smile today was ordering a new wide angle lens for my camera yesterday afternoon and it arriving here just five minutes ago. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 am

This morning I saw what looked like a cloud of smoke blowing from the trees in the cemetery. Then I realised it was clouds of pollen! Spring is just around the corner and the world is waking up again. :D
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum