What have you seen recently? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What have you seen recently? 3

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 am

Did anyone see Transporter 3 last night :?: There is a Film on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm 2 "The Tourist" looks good. :D
Alanz

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 am

I liked the first two transporter better, but The tourist was ok. I liked it.

I watched Dark Shadows yesterday, and was disappointed. I find it annoying especially when films end so abruptly, with such an inconclusive ending. :snooty:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby janet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 pm

The complete Black Books (all 3 series) over the weekend........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just out of interest........has anyone else dumped their TV licence instead of going digital? Saves me a whole lot of money and if I do want to watch anything on TV I just do it on iPlayer. Saves wasting time glued to complete dross on telly just because it's there. :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:27 pm

janet wrote:The complete Black Books (all 3 series) over the weekend........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just out of interest........has anyone else dumped their TV licence instead of going digital? Saves me a whole lot of money and if I do want to watch anything on TV I just do it on iPlayer. Saves wasting time glued to complete dross on telly just because it's there. :D

I haven't had a TV set for over seven years and only watch programmes via the iPlayer. The licence people still bug me every so often threatening me with court etc. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 pm

That's bad news Tony :cry: Hope they stop doing that. Funny how some people get away with bending the rules without trying but those who aren't trying to get away with anything are landed upon like the proverbial ton of bricks :evil: It seemed so easy just to make a declaration online, they cancelled their direct debit request and i cancelled it at my end. If the licence people care to visit, my TV set is clearly incapable of any digital action but still plays VHS tapes which is fairly unusual nowadays and dvds. If anyone tried to get live TV to stream on my PC they'd be struggling......it often gives up before the end of a long programme on iPlayer due to poor rural broadband as it is.
janet

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Bernard, Bernard, Bernard, Bernard, look Bernard, Bernard, Bernard look, Bernard, Bernard!

What?!

I'm a prostitute robot from the future!

:D :D :D :D :D

I adore Black Books, Janet.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:51 pm

janet wrote: If the licence people care to visit, my TV set is clearly incapable of any digital action

Just checking - is that allowed? Last I heard, a TV is a TV and needs a licence, whether or not it's capable of receiving. Just so you don't end up in court ;)

BTW, as far as I'm aware you don't have to let them in to check anyway. I didn't have a licence for about 6 months, and the guy on the phone said "We might come round and check, since most people who say they don't have a TV actually do". As in "we think you're most likely lying and we want to persecute you in your own home". As if I would have let them in! :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

They do not have a statutary right of entry into your home. In theory they can get a search warrant, but they have to have a very good reason to get one.

It works like this - their computer in Bristol has the addresses of every home in Britain. It also has a list of every home with a registered TV licence. Because they assume that everyone has a TV set, they send out letters to those addresses that aren't registered as having a licence.

Even registering that you don't have a TV set either online, by phone or by post will not stop them from sending you threatening letters. The way they look at it is that they assume you are guilty and you have to prove to them that you don't have a TV set on the premises before they'll leave you alone.

Even if you do manage to prove to them that you don't have a TV, they'll likely give you a grace period of three years before they start hassling you again.

I won't even tell them my name and I most certainly will not let them in. It is not my place to do their job for them and certainly not to prove my innocence.

I know all of this because I used to work for the Post Office and the PO was an agent for the licencing company. Incidentally, despite what you might think, the money from the licences does not all go to the BBC. It goes to the Home Office who then pass on a portion to the BBC.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote:I liked the first two transporter better, but The tourist was ok. I liked it.

I watched Dark Shadows yesterday, and was disappointed. I find it annoying especially when films end so abruptly, with such an inconclusive ending. :snooty:

Yea I watched it last night it was good with a nice twist at the end( I may have been a bit slow, but i thought, how does he know that combination?) :D
Alanz

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Watched Hansel and Gretel this afternoon it was OK, not too much of a story, but I did not expect one as it was mostly visual effects, if you liked Van Helsing (2004) with Kate Bekinsale you would probably like this. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby janet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 am

Dotsie wrote:
janet wrote: If the licence people care to visit, my TV set is clearly incapable of any digital action

Just checking - is that allowed? Last I heard, a TV is a TV and needs a licence, whether or not it's capable of receiving. Just so you don't end up in court ;)

BTW, as far as I'm aware you don't have to let them in to check anyway. I didn't have a licence for about 6 months, and the guy on the phone said "We might come round and check, since most people who say they don't have a TV actually do". As in "we think you're most likely lying and we want to persecute you in your own home". As if I would have let them in! :roll:

They must have dragged themselves up to date recently because the option now is based on watching TV 'as it is broadcast'. I was given the option to declare that I do not do this and therefore do not need a licence. It's all there on their website.
I think they have the technology now to tell if you're receiving live TV streaming. Before I stopped the licence I would sometimes try to watch a current programme and if it's live you get a declaration box to tick saying you're licenced before it will let you watch.
I thought that was the case about having to have a licence simply for the pleasure of owning a TV set but the subject came up last year when daughter went off to Uni. I applied for a licence for Gilly so she'd be legal but the flat kept getting threatening letters until one (of 6) owned up to not having a licence. So 'they' can narrow it down that close.
Anyway, we looked into it very carefully, and I based my decision on what we understand to be correct.
Any form of persecution from the licence people would be insignificant compared with the hell our neighbours put us through until a couple of years ago. :evil: I could always work them onside and use them as a line of defence seeing as they think I'm now a harmless old biddy :twisted: :twisted:
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 am

If you have equipment, be it a TV/computer/iPad, etc, that can receive a live TV transmission, you need a licence.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:If you have equipment, be it a TV/computer/iPad, etc, that can receive a live TV transmission, you need a licence.

No! You can have a computer etc. but as long as you don't watch TV live then you don't need a licence. Otherwise you would effectively be buying a licence for the Internet.
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 pm

The TV Licence Nazis wrote:A TV Licence is not just for TV sets

Watching TV on the internet

You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+

You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.

Mobile phones

A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm still wondering about the TVs though. It used to be the case that if you had a TV that was broken, you still needed a licence for it, so a non-digital TV would still need a licence by those rules maybe? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre