Which novels work as stand alone novels?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Which novels work as stand alone novels?

Postby Alanz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 pm

No quite cheap really 8-)
Alanz

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 pm

What does 'work' mean in the topic title?

Small Gods, Pyramids, Monstrous Regiment.

You could argue that most of the DW novels are stand alone. Aside from COM & LF, I think G! G! should be read before Men At Arms. Likewise, Witches Abroad should be read before Lords & Ladies, but that might be it. I didn't actually read these books in order first time round, just saying in hindsight.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby =Tamar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 am

For every book that someone says /must/ be read only after the previous one in the sub-sequence, there is someone else who read it as their first Pratchett book and enjoyed it. They are all standalones - except, in my opinion, COM, which should always be bound together with LF, and that's because the end of COM stopped me from reading Pratchett for four or five years. I've seen enough copies in the thrift shops to believe that I'm not the only one who had that reaction.
=Tamar

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:04 am

Go on then Tamar, for us un enlightened or just Fick, What's COM and LF mean :?: :?: :D
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 am

Colour of Magic, and Light Fantastic :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 am

Oh yea well you live and learn,Thanks for that Dotsie :D , I quite agree with Tamar though about Old Ricewind's exploits he always seems to be running away from something doesn't he, he's not my favourite character, but he's ok i suppose. I can't wait to re read all of them all in order to see if i like them any better. :geek:
Alanz

Postby =Tamar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Alanz wrote: I quite agree with Tamar though about Old Rincewind's exploits he always seems to be running away from something doesn't he, he's not my favourite character, but he's ok i suppose. I can't wait to re read all of them all in order to see if i like them any better. :geek:

Definitely reread them!

I don't mind Rincewind; I minded the ending of the first book, which wasn't a cliffhanger at first, it was just The End, until Sir Terry wrote the second novel. It just didn't fit with the rest of the book. I still don't understand why it was so popular with that ending.

I believe I actually like Rincewind more than Sir Terry does, because I do see some development in his character. Rincewind does more than just run away. He will stand up for himself and others, and he eventually figures out how his life works and learns to deal with it emotionally. I realize that all that makes more sense if you are into the idea of figuring out your life pattern and working with it, which is more of a Granny Weatherwax attitude than it might seem at first. If you can gain enough distance to see what kind of story you seem to be acting out, you can get some control of it, or at least understand it. Rincewind went from a drop-out to having a professorship with about as much security as any UU professor can expect. Given where he started and his peculiar talents, that's not bad.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 pm

I still don't understand why it was so popular with that ending.

Because he wasn't sure if there would be more published.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 pm

That explains the ending, but not why it was popular. For me, it was the one liners & observations, had me ROFL as they say.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:26 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
I still don't understand why it was so popular with that ending.

Because he wasn't sure if there would be more published.

That's what i was going to say Dug,i thought that was probably the reason :D
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:01 pm

The ending was popular because Terry didn't know more would be published? What am I missing here? :?
Dotsie

Postby =Tamar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Dotsie wrote:That explains the ending, but not why it was popular. For me, it was the one liners & observations, had me ROFL as they say.

Right. I liked the one liners, etc., but the end ruined the whole thing for me. You just don't create a sensible, intelligent viewpoint character for comedy, lead the reader into identifying with that character, and then kill them at the end for no reason. That's a betrayal of the reader. It appeared that he killed the character just to end the skit, like the worst of the Monty Python stuff. TLF wasn't planned then; at the time, Sir Terry had no reason to assume that there would ever be any more. That ending was probably his worst-ever writing decision.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:26 pm

=Tamar wrote:
Dotsie wrote:That explains the ending, but not why it was popular. For me, it was the one liners & observations, had me ROFL as they say.

Right. I liked the one liners, etc., but the end ruined the whole thing for me. You just don't create a sensible, intelligent viewpoint character for comedy, lead the reader into identifying with that character, and then kill them at the end for no reason. That's a betrayal of the reader. It appeared that he killed the character just to end the skit, like the worst of the Monty Python stuff. TLF wasn't planned then; at the time, Sir Terry had no reason to assume that there would ever be any more. That ending was probably his worst-ever writing decision.

It also was a send up of the Fantasy genre of the time, so the ending was representative of that fact. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am

I though it was just set up. then again, in knew there were more books.

it's funny. i thought at the end that would be the start of them traveling to other worlds like the ones the water troll talked about.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Alanz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm

I've just read The Truth and i thought it was -ing brilliant.
Alanz

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels