What have you seen recently? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What have you seen recently? 3

Postby janet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Watched 'The men who stare at goats' the other day. Very funny. If you ever saw 'Mash' on film or the TV series you'll love this. Brilliant cast. I just love the concept of using New Age philosophy to eliminate the need for armed combat by training special troops in psychic warfare. Bit like Headology I suppose.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 pm

janet wrote:Watched 'The men who stare at goats' the other day. Very funny. If you ever saw 'Mash' on film or the TV series you'll love this. Brilliant cast. I just love the concept of using New Age philosophy to eliminate the need for armed combat by training special troops in psychic warfare. Bit like Headology I suppose.

I watched that as well. Very good indeed. George Clooney is excellent in it. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Ah! Gorgeous George 8-) One of his best movies. Always a treat to see Kevin Spacey also. I'm sure I saw the DVD of this in a charity shop recently....if i could only remember which one :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

I'd heard about this story before the film was made, so I was mad keen to watch it, but I just couldn't get into it :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am

janet wrote:Watched 'The men who stare at goats' the other day. Very funny. If you ever saw 'Mash' on film or the TV series you'll love this. Brilliant cast. I just love the concept of using New Age philosophy to eliminate the need for armed combat by training special troops in psychic warfare. Bit like Headology I suppose.

I read the book about 3 years ago but I can't remember much about it
but the film was very enjoyable :D
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 pm

I got a 3 DVD box set of movies from Lidl the other day for a fiver. District 9, Moon and a film I'd never heard of called Knowing with Nicolas Cage. I watched Knowing tonight and thought it started off really well. A really interesting idea that had me wondering where it was going.

And then the whole thing got completely pants and quasi religious with Close Encounters type aliens taking little kids away to save the human race (and rabbits - do aliens realise how much they breed? :? ).

I'm sure I'll enjoy the other two films. I saw Moon once when I was flying to Tucson and thought it was excellent and I've heard good things about District 9, but Knowing is dreadful. :hand:
Tonyblack

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm

I've read the book as well but not seen Men Who Stare At Goats.

I think District 9 & Moon are fantastic sci-fi movies.

These are my 2 favourite Nic Cage movies. Both from the 1980's, worth checking out if you've not seen.

Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

aliens taking little kids away to save the human race (and rabbits - do aliens realise how much they breed

That was to feed the kids with. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 am

Or the other way round.

To Serve Man.

Yummy.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 am

Tonyblack wrote:And then the whole thing got completely pants and quasi religious with Close Encounters type aliens taking little kids away to save the human race (and rabbits - do aliens realise how much they breed? :? ).

:lol: :lol: My thoughts exactly. Two hours of my life I'll never get back.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am

I loved The man that stared at goats, when we watched it Emi was in tears with laughing, and me too.

The only notable thing I've seen recently is a BBC representation of Much ado about nothing done in the 80s, and I loved it.
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:13 am

I went & saw Song For Marion yesterday, with my friend. I cried most of the way through it, it has got to be the most emotional film I've seen for ages. Terence Stamp is brilliant as the husband.
Having written that, we didn't think it as good as Quartet, story line better in that & more humour.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 am

Dotsie wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:And then the whole thing got completely pants and quasi religious with Close Encounters type aliens taking little kids away to save the human race (and rabbits - do aliens realise how much they breed? :? ).

Oh yes, I forgot - the aliens sprouted wings at the end and turned into angels. :doh:
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:48 am

I saw that one on BBC player i might watch it if it's good :?: :D
Alanz

Postby Catch-up » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Dotsie wrote:

Oh yes, I forgot - the aliens sprouted wings at the end and turned into angels. :doh:

Sounds awful. :?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre