What made you smile today? 6

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 6

Postby wicked woman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Alanz wrote:Way to go wicked's father in law, see your never too old :D :D

He believes that. :lol: He didn't want to go into home but he's very happy there. ;)
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Catch-up » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Chris love the story about Troy! :lol:

WW, good for your f.i.l.! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Great one with the Bear. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Well..... it looks like hubby is accepting a new position today. :D It's a good thing, but still a little stressful. The position isn't what he prefers. It will take him out of the technical field and into management. He's not really a sit-at-a-desk person. But the offer was good, the people seem nice and the company seems like a good place to work. The first thing he saw when he went in for an interview was a pool table and a bar!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Gissa job!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes! I think.... what? :lol:

It would be better if he were accepting a position that aligned more with what he was looking for. He's worried that if he's out of the technical field too long, he will no longer be qualified to get back in it.
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 pm

As long as he keeps up with the industry (sorry, I have no idea what your hubby does) news, he should be OK, shouldn't he?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Well, I'm not sure. He's been very hands on, managing infrastructure, huge data centers and migrating live data centers. I think his concern is that the technology moves on so quickly. He's used to working with all the latest tech, and in this position he would be managing and coordinating this work being outsourced. There's no way to dive in and get his hands dirty - his favorite thing to do! Possibly he can pursue training and certification on his own time. We'll have to see how things work out. It's also looking like this would include yearly trips to London and/or Frankfurt. The person he's reporting to is in London. So, fair warning Bouncy, if I can tag along on a trip you may be subjected to me in person. :twisted:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:56 pm

[ gulp ]

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Good news Susanne! Getting any sort of job these days is tricky enough. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Catch-up, he may not be doing what he's used to doing, but he's definitely in the right place. It's much better, careerwise, to be a technical manager these days--particularly of outsourced resources--than to be the technician. Outsourcing of technicians will only increase over time, and even if he keeps up to date with all the technologies he might not have any company to use them for it he was a technician. Being in management allows him to gain new skills and better advancement potential. And trips to Europe!
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Very good points guys. There are two other companies he interviewed with, but they won't be prepared to make an offer for a few weeks. He doesn't want to wait around for them. And, you never know, he may actually end up enjoying his new position and it could lead somewhere more interesting down the road.
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Catch-up wrote:Very good points guys. There are two other companies he interviewed with, but they won't be prepared to make an offer for a few weeks. He doesn't want to wait around for them. And, you never know, he may actually end up enjoying his new position and it could lead somewhere more interesting down the road.

Like London!

Bouncy Castle

Postby Ridcully » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I agree with Raisindot, Catch. I think your husband is better off in a managerial position (at least careerwise). It will take some getting used to, but hopefullly he will enjoy it and will find his niche. Good luck to him!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Catch-up wrote:Well, I'm not sure. He's been very hands on, managing infrastructure, huge data centers and migrating live data centers. I think his concern is that the technology moves on so quickly. He's used to working with all the latest tech, and in this position he would be managing and coordinating this work being outsourced. There's no way to dive in and get his hands dirty - his favorite thing to do! Possibly he can pursue training and certification on his own time. We'll have to see how things work out. It's also looking like this would include yearly trips to London and/or Frankfurt. The person he's reporting to is in London. So, fair warning Bouncy, if I can tag along on a trip you may be subjected to me in person. :twisted:

And you can make a side trip to Wincanton which is an hour and a half by car. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum