What would you recommend?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What would you recommend?

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:12 am

Which of the Discworld books would you recommend to someone as the best one to start with?

Assume they have never heard of Terry or Discworld before.

I think I'd go with Guards! Guards! as it's not only a good introduction to the city, but the Watch as well. We get to see the City, the Watch and how it all works through the eyes of an outsider and a somewhat niave outsider at that. Perfect as an introduction!

But what do you think?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Annebn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:16 am

I agree Tony. But I also think Wyrd Sisters could make a good start, with an introduction to the witches, and their part of the Disc. I think the Shakespeare references would apeal a lot to some people.
Annebn

Postby mogadoh » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:55 am

I'm only up to Reaper Man myself but the ones i have enjoyed most so far have been Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards! and Mort. I'd recommend Guards! Guards! i think. (Then again maybe i should read the whole series before answering the question..whoops too late :D)
-----
'A MERRY ABERRANT - An Assortment of Whimsical Words & Capricious Cartoons' available from Lulu.com :)
http://www.lulu.com/content/2614075
mogadoh

Postby chuckie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:37 pm

I'd recommend wyrd sisters, guards guards or preferably mort because Death crops up in so many stories.

Would not recommend colour of magic or light fantastic
chuckie

Postby SapphireForgeCat » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:39 pm

I usually size up the person before i choose a book to start them out on. Guards! Guards! Is the one i usually suggest, and Mort the second one. I never, ever, ever suggest Colour of Magic or anything newer than Carpe Jugulum for a new book, though that doesnt include children stories.
SapphireForgeCat

Postby Twankydillo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:04 pm

I'd go for the Tiffany books, personally. I really like them anyway but also it feels like an introduction to Discworld for younger readers, and might work them same way for others.

But then again it might be better to start with an older book, so you can see how the characters and places have evolved. It might be strange to see all the witches in abundance and then read about the problems when there were only a handful of them. Mort, maybe? The first one I read was about 15 years ago when I was 8 and it was Guards! Guards!
Twankydillo

Postby Jinx » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:49 pm

Well I'm a purist myself, I was sure to read them all in order starting from The Colour of Magic. Of course by the time I had read upto The Monstrous Regiment I learned that technically Strata was the first Discworld novel. Doh!
I know people who are like me in that sense so I'd inform them that The Colour of Magic or possibly Strata are the first chronologically, but I'd probably suggest Pyramids to get your first taste of Discworld. It is a really easy read, it gives a clear insight into the tone of the series (though I'll be the first to admit you can't judge the Discworld series on any one book), and I think it is more likely to appeal to wider range of readers.
Jinx

Postby Ptim » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:27 pm

I would always say start at the beginning. I also am aware that COM and LF isnt for everyone so if they dont get on with the first go from Equal Rights
Ptim

Location: London, England, UK, Solar System, Milkey Way, Universe, etc...

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 am

I had to recommend a starter book twice in the last couple of years and found it very difficult to do so.

My first book was Wyrd Sisters and then I read anything I could get my hands on. So I read the series mixed up and then re-read it in order (then mixed up again xD).

I think it all has to do with the person who's going to read the books. I'd recommend to start reading in chronological order (but you can dismiss me as being an OCD-ridden control freak) so you can appreciate how the DW and the characters evolve through the stories.

If not, Guards! Guards! and Wyrd Sisters are perfect for a start in my opinion.

I would NOT recommend the Wit and Wisdom of Discworld. A friend told me they were given the book and I thought it would be a mistake. It's a book for people who have already read the books. I think. Not a good start.
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 am

I was talking to a journalist on the way back from Tucson in June. We got talking about Discworld - she saw the Assassins' Guild badge on my bag - and when I started to explain about it, she told me that she'd been recommended to read The Truth. I think that would certainly work in that particular case. :)
Tonyblack

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:03 am

:lol:

Yes!

Do you think there are cops who start reading with Guards! Guards!?

Or Postmasters General with Going Postal?
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:10 am

50ft queenie wrote::lol:

Yes!

Do you think there are cops who start reading with Guards! Guards!?

Or Postmasters General with Going Postal?
Or Pharoes who start with Pyramids! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 am

:lol: :lol:
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby swreader » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:36 pm

What about farmers, specifically harvesters, who start with Reaper Man? :lol:
swreader

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:30 pm

I bet they would only farm organic, given their distaste for farming machines... xD
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Next

Return to Discworld novels