Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Ghost wrote:thank you if I do chose a laptop it'll have to be small one my parents have a lap top and it's huge, heavy and a real issue to tote around

I found this one 14 inch screen Medion it's a windows 7 one and the specs look quite good it a slim build (I have a Medion laptop but as I wont be carrying around I was not that bothered)

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/te ... 4294901825
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 am

Another solution is to get a portable hard drive and transfer your own files to it - just leaving the program files on your old computer. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 am

problem is I don't have any files I've striped this thing down to the bare bones even taking out the word processor and still no disc space left
God can't see you when it's cloudy
Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
Ghost wrote:thank you if I do chose a laptop it'll have to be small one my parents have a lap top and it's huge, heavy and a real issue to tote around

I found this one 14 inch screen Medion it's a windows 7 one and the specs look quite good it a slim build (I have a Medion laptop but as I wont be carrying around I was not that bothered)

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/te ... 4294901825

damn that's a nice computer and it's well within budget
Ghost

Postby ChristianBecker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 am

I can imagine you having trouble with Win8, Tony. There was a documentary last week that was actually about Apple, but they also compared tablet computers and so they also compared Win8, iOS and Android. While the testers agreed that Win8 was very nicely designed (well, de gustibus non est disputandum) they also found that it wasn't very clear how to use it :D. I've never used it but from what I've seen I don't like it (well, to be honest, i don't like any Windows. I can live with XP and 7 if I have to, I loathe Vista). My dad was considering getting a new laptop and thought Win 8 was another reason (apart from his old one being, well, older, still running Vistra and having a broken DVD drive) to get a new one. I told him that Win8 was a reason NOT to get a new one.

@Ghost
What kind of Laptop you should get depends on what you want to do with it. You already said you would be lugging it around, so I guess a maximum of 14" would be right (only, it's hard to get these nowadays, 15,6" or even 17,x" being the norm), probably smaller, like 13,3" or 12,1" or netbook size.
Then there's the question of whether you want to do some processor demanding tasks on there like gaming, graphics editing, video editing and such, or lighter tasks such as using a word processor (since you deleted it from your old one, probably not), sorting and browsing photos, surfing the web (well, depending on how many tabs you have open this can be quite demanding on RAM and CPU power) and writing mails.
As an alternative, if you don't depend on Windows for some special software, you might try to install Linux on your old netbook, for example Lubuntu for a very fast and lightweight desktop, or Mint, which is not all that lightweight but should still be smaller than Windows and is very easy to use.

The laptop Dug linked to is quite nice, only the CPU is a bit weak. Compared to your old netbook, however, which probably has runs on an Intel Atom, it should be sufficient.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 am

I've got linex through ubuntu on my current acer aspire one zg5 and I am considering if I buy the notebook that Dug suggested that I use the money leftover from the purchase to reformat it and replace windows 7 with ubuntu so I don't have to stress with anti virus software
and I mostly use my computer for watching online films, light networking and light photo editing mostly crop and resizing
(I miss gimp)
I'll have to wait until Friday when I get paid and transfer the money to my account before I can do anything :?
and then I'll have to wait a further month before I can afford the reformatting unless I get some B'day money :think:
so I'll keep my old netbook until I can get sorted out I'm sure I can keep the old thing from dying altogether until then
Ghost

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 pm

wait a mo I bring a whole new level of stupid to the table
if I pillage my piggy bank full of pennies, two p's and five p's
couple that with I wanna go to the next anime expo Image£10
I can just about afford that putter before I get paid
but I'll still have to wait another month for the reformat
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby ChristianBecker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:06 pm

I don't follow. Why do you need extra money to wipe the HDD and install Ubuntu on it?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Ghost wrote: so I don't have to stress with anti virus software

as far as I know there isn't any virus's out there that affect ubuntu so I don't have to bother with downloading anti virus software
and I am aware that there is free software out on the web but I'm nervous of downloading malware and ruining my hard-drive
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Sorry about your laptop troubles Ghost. It can be so frustrating. Don't know what I'd do if I weren't married to an IT guy. Hope you're able to find a good replacement.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:17 pm

for now except for a bit of lag and on and off pestering for updates my lil'netbook is working fine
I think with Dug's help I've found it all I have to is hope it doesn't sell out in the next 24hrs or so
Ghost

Postby Conforumist » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 pm

We have some fairly heavy rain right now: Coupled with the snow and ice outside, the water is making it's way into the basement bedroom closet and then to the bathroom. :evil:
I'm pretty sure that the previous owners knew about this and did not say anything. Do I have some type of legal right here? I'm going to call the lawyer we used tomorrow...
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby TinatheConfused » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Oh, for Terry's sake ( or heaven's sake ) NEVER download Malware killers or spyware blockers... They ARE viruses in themselves. I pay a ridiculous amount for Norton Antiviral software.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby TinatheConfused » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Conforumist wrote:We have some fairly heavy rain right now: Coupled with the snow and ice outside, the water is making it's way into the basement bedroom closet and then to the bathroom. :evil:
I'm pretty sure that the previous owners knew about this and did not say anything. Do I have some type of legal right here? I'm going to call the lawyer we used tomorrow...

You certainly should have some rights.. geez that bites
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm

TinatheConfused wrote:Oh, for Terry's sake ( or heaven's sake ) NEVER download Malware killers or spyware blockers... They ARE viruses in themselves. I pay a ridiculous amount for Norton Antiviral software.

Tina there are some which are almost as good or better than norton and they are free, and the malware and spyware blockers I have are pretty good, it's that crap norton blocking them a creating false positives they are are rip off in that it costs you more for a renewal than to buy it new and mcafee are just as bad, and you need to download tools to uninstall them as they have hooks deep into your system.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum