The Great International Pancake Race

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Poohcarrots » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:41 am

The US cheated over a pancake race?!! :shock:
"Hear a speech declaring a holy war and, I assure you, your ears should catch the clink of evil's scales and the dragging of its monstrous tail over the purity of the language. - Pyramids- 1989 British Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
Poohcarrots

Postby swreader » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:45 am

No, no, Pooh! :lol: In spite of the heavy odds against them laid on by the unusual weather, the US team continued to outdo the sweet little old ladies of Olney--the Brits are just too slow off the mark.

You just don't get it, do you. But then, you're a Brit even if you live elsewhere. :P
swreader

Postby Poohcarrots » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:22 am

So by my reckoning the scores to date are now (at best for US);

Olney 505
Liberal 61
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Hear a speech declaring a holy war and, I assure you, your ears should catch the clink of evil's scales and the dragging of its monstrous tail over the purity of the language. - Pyramids- 1989 British Fantasy Award (Best Novel)
Poohcarrots

Re: The Great International Pancake Race

Postby deldaisy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 am

The Mad Collector wrote:
michelanCello wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Today is Pancake Day! It's also the day that two towns, one in England and one in the USA, compete in the International Pancake Day Race.

Khmm... I do beg your pardon, but today is International Woman's Day The link doesn't work for some reason, but you can google it if you want... :wink: Has a huge tradition here... flowers are distributed to women on the street and everything...

It is all over the world but largely ignored in the UK. However they did give roses to all the women arriving at work today. I do have to ask though, if they gave something to only the men arriving at work how long it would take for some woman to complain and have all the management dragged in front of some sex discrimination kangarooo court :roll: :roll:

Yes we acknowledge it here.... flowers????? :( We didn't get flowers!

To quote my daughter......

"International Days" for anything are only given out to issues that need focus brought to them..... I want MY daughters to NEVER have to experience an International Womens Day.... then there will have been some form of progress"
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 am

She's right, Del! In an ideal world there would be no need for International Women's Day.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:43 am

Too right, del. Anyway, where I live, every day is womans day.
wicked woman

Postby deldaisy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I should move to Nottinghamshire? :shock:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:34 am

Olney wins this year's International Pancake Race against Liberal in Kansas (Sharlene's home town). :D

Report here.

To be fair - it was snowing in Liberal. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 am

Hurrah for Olney! :clap:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby raisindot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Olney wins this year's International Pancake Race against Liberal in Kansas (Sharlene's home town). :D

Damn! I lost on tenner on that one. :doh:
raisindot

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum