What Are You Reading? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading? 3

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 pm

raisindot wrote:Sister, I think I've ready everything Plum ever wrote, including many of less-then-steller early novels and short stories.

His characters and stories had as much as depth as tin foil, he used the same four plots over and over, and his characters never left their artificial bubble of the 1920s. Yet, other than Pterry perhaps, there's no other writer, English or otherwise, who could consistently raise the most cliched and dog-eared plot point into euphoria with one of his crystalline perfect phrases or lines of dialogue.

Well said raisindot. I like his sense of humour and his piss-taking of the well-to-do. Most of all, like you said, it's his use of words and phrases that keeps me reading & re-reading. He's a master wordsmith. It was from reading blurb's on DW books, such as, 'Pratchett is a modern day Wodehouse', that got me wondering who this Wodehouse was. I'm glad I found out.

Happy reading :)
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby majomull » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Howard Andrew Jones' two novels : "Desert of Souls" and "The Bones of the Old Ones." Sword and sorcery set in ancient Bagdad. Robert E. Howard meets The Arabian nights. Very enjoyable.
Whiskey is sunlight held together with water.
majomull

Postby Alanz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Another book done ( "Monstrous Regiment" ) it was a good read. I've just started "Feet of Clay", I love The Watch series of books Sam Vimes is brilliant. :lol: :lol:
Alanz

Postby Catch-up » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Grabbed another Merrily Watkins book from the library, but didn't realize it's several books on from the first. Obviously a lot has happened. Don't know if I should just go ahead and finish it or stop and read them in order.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am

Jeeves and Wooster marathon continues, now reached novel 4, Joy in the Morning. I've read all of them before, some several times but never one after the other or even in the right order. I'm really enjoying it as I get immersed in the characters and the sheer quality of the writing. I've got my father reading the short stories now :)

Good to see fellow Wodehouse fans around :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 pm

My M.I.L. bought me The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Haven't read anything else of his. Heard people rave about The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, but never had an interest in reading it. Can I just say that this book is mind-numbingly boring? Has anyone else read it? I think it's destined for the donation bin.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Alanz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 am

I'm certainly going through my books, Just started The Last Continent ( Good pold Ricewind) :D
Alanz

Postby Dotsie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

Catch-up wrote:My M.I.L. bought me The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Haven't read anything else of his. Heard people rave about The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, but never had an interest in reading it. Can I just say that this book is mind-numbingly boring? Has anyone else read it? I think it's destined for the donation bin.

My MIL gives us dull DVDs, I don't know why. We lent her Keeping Mum and she loved it, so now she knows better - lend her a Pratchett ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Don't know what she would make of a Pratchett! :lol: It would definitely have to be Good Omens though. 8-) She gives us weird DVDs as well. She bought us Escanaba in da Moonlight (I think that's what it's called) about a hunting trip in the UP (upper peninsula of Michigan). I think she got it for us because it was written by and stars Jeff Daniels. He was born here and still lives here, although I've never figured out where exactly. We've never even watched it. That's another one I should donate.
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

yet another dresden novel ,no7 i think :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 pm

both of my local libraries don't have any Jim Butcher books :-(
but he sound like a author I'd love to read
Ghost

Postby raisindot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Catch-up wrote:My M.I.L. bought me The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Haven't read anything else of his. Heard people rave about The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, but never had an interest in reading it. Can I just say that this book is mind-numbingly boring? Has anyone else read it? I think it's destined for the donation bin.

I can't stand him. "Five People" was like a spiritual Nicholas Sparks book--sentimental, cloying, manipulative. His first bestseller "Tuesdays with Morrie" painted the Morrie of the title as this benevolent, wise, Buddha-like saint. Well, I was working at Brandeis University (where Morrie was a professor), and Morrie was a frequent visitor to the school where I worked. He was a cranky, imperious, self-important academic snob who didn't want to talk to anyone without a Ph.D. unless he wanted them to do something for him (like get him coffee or be his wheelchair rickshaw boy). Approach Albom with a grain of salt.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Ghost wrote:both of my local libraries don't have any Jim Butcher books :-(

You could order them from your library and they would get them in for you Ghost.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 am

Ghost wrote:both of my local libraries don't have any Jim Butcher books :-(

I might have some lurking about my flat that you could have.

If I haven't given them away to someone else!

I'll have a look tonight.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am

Don't worry I wasn't begging
thank you anyway
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books