Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

I once found a mobile phone and checked the stored numbers and found one saying "Mum". I called it and arranged for the young girl whose phone it was, and her mum, to come and collect it. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 am

Well, my neighbours seem to have gone, and it looks like my contract mobile and a spare set of my keys have gone with them.

I'll wait until tonight, to see if they're returned, if not it will be a case of getting O2 to put a stop on the phone, and report both items to the cops as stolen.

:roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am

How long and how well had you known them Bouncy, bugger if you have to change the locks.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 pm

I agree with Dug, change the locks!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby wicked woman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Don't wait till tonight Batty, report it now.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby raisindot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I once found a mobile phone and checked the stored numbers and found one saying "Mum". I called it and arranged for the young girl whose phone it was, and her mum, to come and collect it. :)

Similar story. Last summer the wife and I were talking along a walking trail around a lake and found an iPhone on the ground. We didn't know how to find the owner's number so we looked through a few texts (I know, not nice) to see if it would clue us in who it was. Then we found out, and called her and offered to meet her at the park to give it back. She wanted us to drive it to her house, 8 miles away! (Gimme a break!) We ended up waiting more than an hour and a half for her to come get it.

Another not so similar story. Last month my wife lost her phone whilst on a shopping expedition. We looked EVERYWHERE she had been and couldn't find it. So, after 4 days, she went and got another phone--$100 down the drain. That same day I'm moving an old purse on her desk and feel something square and flat in a side pocket. Look in, and there's the old phone. She had used the old purse one day, put the phone there, and didn't bother looking because she forgot she had used it.

Anyway, rather than go through the hassle of returning her old phone, I just kept it to replace my 1933 'big brick' mobile. Lesson here is before you spend the bucks to buy a new one, make sure you look EVERYWHERE first. :D
raisindot

Postby Batty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 pm

wicked woman wrote:Don't wait till tonight Batty, report it now.

I'd rather not, thanks! ;)

A little while ago, I found a large woman's bag left by a bus stop. I took it to the nearest shop and told them that if anyone enquiries after it, that I was taking it to the police station.
Sure enough, a very upset woman rang the police station while I was in the queue to hand it in.
The police woman on the desk said that I may as well wait for the owner to arrive, so that she could thank me, as the police are no longer allowed to give out anyone's name or address to people reclaiming lost items, which means that owner's can no longer write to thank the person who handed in the lost item.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby michelanCello » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Ouch, Bouncy! I'd say wait untill tonight, but don't leave the house... if it's not returned, change the locks :? but I don't udnerstand, I thought they were nice neighbours? Or are those others? The ones that let you use their internet?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I once found a mobile phone and checked the stored numbers and found one saying "Mum". I called it and arranged for the young girl whose phone it was, and her mum, to come and collect it. :)

As with Raisindot,similar story with me as well.
I found a mobile while walking in the park with it's battery almost dead.
Tried mam(mum)in the list of contacts first and that phone went unanswered,oma(grandma) however did pick up and managed to get the gist of it,even with me speaking fast like an idiot before the battery gave up.
Netted me a free pizza from her dad,who owned an italian restaurant as it went,so nice result there. :D

What frustrated me quite badly day before yesterday was getting my first ticket in almost 11 years for refusing to leash my very well trained dog in an empty park late in the evening,because there simply wasn't any need.
Usually i charm/talk my way out of a ticket or even out of having to put her leash on,but this day i was so annoyed at being followed by these 'stadswachten'(cute fact : literal translation would be cityguards...trust me these would definitely be of pre-Carrot standards ;) ,these are not policemen,but sadly think they are sometimes)) for a few hundreds meters with their dieselvan belching fumes the whole time,i didn't feel like 'playing the game' and was completely honest and unyielding.
(Also if divided over to all the times i walked my dog,the ticket is absolute peanuts. :roll: )
Since i am Dutch i did want to get some entertainment,ventingtime from it,so i gave them a lot of attitude and several peaces of my mind,all with steam but coming out of my ears. :twisted: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-screaming:
Told them in alternately sarcastic bordering on caustic,patronising and just plain abusive terms to write me the ticket so i could wipe my bum with it and leave them to their sad lives and childish powertrips. :teasing-neener:
Batty wrote:A little while ago, I found a large woman's bag left by a bus stop.

How did you know the woman was large? :P
I'll get me coat. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mycroft Vimes on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Dotsie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm

What a flipping pain! As far as I'm aware, dogs can be off the leash anywhere in the UK as long as they're well behaved? Some breeds maybe have to be muzzled... I'm not really sure though :?

I found Terry Pratchett's phone! He said thank you, but no free pizza though :(
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 pm

There is some jurisprudence from a man,who basically got out of a ticket,because the judge ruled this dog was trained so good it could be said he had an 'invisible leash'.
But given all the hassle,time and blood from under the fingernails fighting this in court might cost,i'll just pay it and hope i don't come across these particular miscreants again in the near future(i basically walk the in the same park every evening). ;)
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Huzzah! (I'm still using the upstairs broadband, but for how long, gawd knows).

Had a word with Phil tonight, and got my keys back. He's due to leave in about five days, but has to go off for a bit. I've loaned him the phone until then (easier to get it cut off than change locks), AND yes! I've got my keys back.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Batty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Can you be sure that they didn't get a spare set of keys cut during the time they 'borrowed' them?? :think:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby TinatheConfused » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Batty wrote:Can you be sure that they didn't get a spare set of keys cut during the time they 'borrowed' them?? :think:

Sigh, that's what I was going to say. lol
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby michelanCello » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 pm

What I don't understand is: why did they take your keys in the first place? :?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum