What made you smile today? 6

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 6

Postby chillicamper » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:36 pm

I got given a Robert Thompson 'Mouseman' book shelf/stand. It needed a bit of love and had some waterstains, but a bit of beeswax later and its looking better. I love it!

Seeing the lovely mouse carving and as it was a sunny day, I was inspired to get out a piece of carving I had put to one side a few months ago and do a bit more. Most of the hard shaping and profiling is now done. Just got to do some smoothing, finishing and sanding now - still a fair bit to do, but I have the enthusiasm back for the piece now.

Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Broccolee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:47 pm

That bookshelf is beautiful,Chilli,what a lovely piece of work that carving is too.I intend to sand and oil our dining table this year so I definitely know who to ask for ideas!
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 pm

I've heard of that furniture maker, Chilli! That's a beautiful thing you have there. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

thats about 400quids worth of mouseman :shock:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:25 pm

That is an adorable shelf! Never heard of Mouseman. Love your sun too. Please show us another picture when you're finished.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Hijacked a friend for coffee today. I didn't realize how long it had been since I'd seen him! We were there for hours.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 pm

just to put into perspective how popular mouseman is for our foreign members i saw a 8in by 6in breadboard for £90 on the telly because the way the mouse was carved was quite rare :clap: :clap:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Alanz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:03 am

chillicamper wrote:I got given a Robert Thompson 'Mouseman' book shelf/stand. It needed a bit of love and had some waterstains, but a bit of beeswax later and its looking better. I love it!

Seeing the lovely mouse carving and as it was a sunny day, I was inspired to get out a piece of carving I had put to one side a few months ago and do a bit more. Most of the hard shaping and profiling is now done. Just got to do some smoothing, finishing and sanding now - still a fair bit to do, but I have the enthusiasm back for the piece now.

I want one :D
Alanz

Postby chillicamper » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 am

chris.ph wrote:thats about 400quids worth of mouseman :shock:

Really? :shock: I know they still make them. I think a brand new version of this piece is at least 150 quid.

I'd heard that original pieces made by RT himself from the 20s - 50s are worth a lot. When he died, the business carried on and I think one of his sons still works for the business. This one (as far as I can trace) was made in the early 70s. The story goes that RT started off carving the mouse on any furniture he made to remind himself that he was once as poor as a church mouse. Now it's the trademark of the business.

If you want to be scared about how much their big stuff sells for look at their website http://dev.robertthompsons.co.uk/index.php
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby AuntyVague » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:27 pm

That book-stand is beautiful Chilli and the story of the mouse being carved on to each piece makes it better still!
I'd love go see a picture of that carving you are working on when it is finished too :)
AuntyVague

Postby Penfold » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:59 pm

chillicamper wrote:
chris.ph wrote:thats about 400quids worth of mouseman :shock:

If you want to be scared about how much their big stuff sells for look at their website http://dev.robertthompsons.co.uk/index.php

:o I looked. One day I might win the lottery and be able to afford some. :lol:

Very nice addition to the house but I really want to see the finished carving when you are done. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Peeked at what was on eBay too. :shock: There was a Mouseman dining set. I have no idea if it was an old or a new piece. I'm guessing new.
Catch-up

Postby wicked woman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Love it chilli.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Babysat my nieces today, much fun getting covered in mashed potato, trifle, juice, crayon, bogies, and hugs. Can't wait for the next time :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Penfold » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Getting some practise in then, Dotsie. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum