Whether the weather, Whatever the Weather.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Whether the weather, Whatever the Weather.

Postby Del » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

:evil: I am so cheesed off. (Could use stronger language)

I should be in bed but we have had the internet down all day and most of the night due to overload. (Great huh because all the info about the floods and weather is on the internet and TV) Alot of suburbs around here have been without power for the last two days so the internet is pretty important.

So being sensible I ring the local council (its a public holiday here) and yes it was manned. I spoke to them about the creek at the back of my house and they said they wanted to check my location before they offered advice. Late tonight one of the water engineers rang me back and told me I would get "some water on my property". I am in a high block home (stilt home) but have underneath built in and its got my laundry, freezer, washing machine, etc and all my storage, and Truly's storage, but we have alot of low homes in my street too.

I felt great... no problem. Not like last time. Yay.

As I had been trying to access and email the predictive flood maps on the net on my phone for a friend who is worried about her mum in Ipswich which is due for some major flooding, I decided to check my area on the PC :o

A BIT OF WATER??? According to this... my whole street and into the next street will be under water. :( Where did the water engineers who drew these maps up get their information???? I saw the young guy next door was up so let him know... to which he said "Piece of cake! Totally insured! Will make a killing!" :o The rest of the street are asleep and as this is supposed to peak at 9am we shall see what happens... at least it is in the daylight. Oh crap!

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/__data/asse ... dridge.pdf

Its also the same time that I will be getting H of to her first day at High School... which by the way, if the map is right will also be mostly under water, but there is no notice of her school closing in the list. Mind you THEY have their own agenda... the news here has made a huge deal of race riots here and schools being unsafe (it wasnt a freaking race riot! It was an arguement between two families that happened to BE non white!!!).. but the bloody politicians turned it into something it wasnt so they could get brownie points in the news. ARGH! H's school is perfectly well adjusted but every school knows the bloody news crews will turn up for the "first day at school" reports in this area! ARGH!

Its fine... I cant do anything. The washing machine and freezer is way too heavy to lift up and where would I lift them to anyway right? Cant even trolly it to my neighbours as according to this they might go under too.... Its way too late to go through all my stuff.

I most probably wont EVEN happen.

You know me.... worrying about nothing.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Stay safe Del - I hope you don't get flooded. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm

What Tony said.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 pm

as above :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:28 pm

You know, same here.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Wow,Del you have got it bad, hopefully it won't turn out too bad, is everything insured for flood damage?
Alanz

Postby Batty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I couldn't open the link on my laptop, and only accessed it via my main computer, so for anyone else who has trouble with the link, here's the map.

Stay safe, Del! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Del wrote:Want to see an idiot in the foam?

You know what that reminded me of, this person's idiocy aside? There was an old Doctor Who story called Fury from the Deep, about seaweed monsters that lurked in foam. Most of the clips available today were actually censored by the Aussies, while the last bit uses alternate takes from a film sequence at the end...

I took a walk yesterday arvo when the rain had stopped for a while, and I saw at a nearby park at least one uprooted tree, not to mention more than a few large branches on the ground. :shock:

But the sun is shining today. Go figure. :think: :|
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Absolutely hissing it down here, forecast high winds tomorrow. :roll:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 am

Yay. Creek is still down. Just rang the council. Strangely all the creeks and rivers leading into it... and further up in this creek are all flooded but NOT MY SECTION. Yay. Yay. Weird but yay. Water engineers can't figured out why either and are very interested... but naturally it's more than just a little busy right now.

Thought I might be thought a madwoman if I mentioned all the good wishes from the uplanders may have saved me.

This system will peak at midnight and it's still rising.I asked them if it's possible it choked somewhere and that's why my little section is dryer. They don't know and can't explain it... but yay.

Shouldnt be celebrating until midnight really.. but yay. They also said they are door knocking if it gets bad. Thing is.. everyone watches the big systems.. our little creek gets overlooked... overlooked by the flood gods it seems too :)

Helicopters all overhead right now. News crews filming the floods around me I am thinking.
Del

Postby Del » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Absolutely hissing it down here, forecast high winds tomorrow. :roll:

Tie a large rock on a rope to your belly if you go out Dug.

Stay safe.

Seriously.... as said before.... SOMEONE must be having nice weather...
Del

Postby meerkat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 am

Had a lovely day in London on Sunday, went for a walk round Clerkenwell with some friends. That was it Sun out sky blue(ish) but windy, especially through Smithfield). Been wet ever since.

My (both arthur rittic) hips are very good weather forcasters. I can predict rain at least an hour before it occurs. The only draw back is that I seem only to predict local weather and not national. Hey ho.

Del, hope all is well at Chez Del. Thinking of you and anyone else who is suffering from the weather.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby AuntyVague » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 am

Great to hear you had at least one blue-ish skied day Meer :)

We heard that in some parts of Queensland conditions are still set to deteriorate and in others things are slowly starting to improve. I hope that your place stayed safe Del. I also hope that things have settled down at your work Sister Jen and that you get the chance for a proper restful break before too long. Oh, and sorry - I didn't realise that you are in Queensland too Q. Glad to hear you are safe.

Our weather is just plain silly. Still nothing meaningful in terms of rain, but now I'm wrapped up cozy cos it's cold :roll: We are expecting 18 c on Friday. In February!
AuntyVague

Postby Batty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Del wrote:Yay. Creek is still down. ..
Shouldnt be celebrating until midnight really.. but yay. They also said they are door knocking if it gets bad. Thing is.. everyone watches the big systems.. our little creek gets overlooked... overlooked by the flood gods it seems too :)

Phew! That's a relief! Glad that you're all OK.
ImageImage

Now you can relax - for a short while! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Del wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Absolutely hissing it down here, forecast high winds tomorrow. :roll:

Tie a large rock on a rope to your belly if you go out Dug.

Stay safe.

Seriously.... as said before.... SOMEONE must be having nice weather...

Nah! I will go out holding an open umbrella and do a Mary Poppins Del, it will save using public transport and be more fun. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum