I Say, You Say... (Accents and quirks)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: I Say, You Say... (Accents and quirks)

Postby jaznbonnie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 pm

:lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Agreed. :lol:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Broccolee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am

Since we have a lot of-uh, immigrants living here in Germany,we have a lot of different accents going on.The most popular at the moment is street-German with a strong Istambul dialect.
To explain how much we are linguistically influenced by this,let me remind you of the quote :'What is the biggest current community of dwarfs?' 'Let me think,that must be up at Copperhead...' 'Lots of people think that,but no,it's Ankh-Morpork.'
We have the same problem.There are more turkish Moslems in Berlin than in Istambul atm.If they would all adapt,that wouldn't be a problem at all,but because of their history,Germans generally tend to be too polite by half,so instead,they start to adapt the other way round.It's a bit like Southhall,just bigger.

So you get german kids talking street German with a strong Istambul accent.THEN imagine these kids trying to learn- or,in a lot of cases,not learn- English.Additionally,they are absolutly convinced that they cannot pronounce the 'th',no matter how you try to teach them how to.
There is no one word or phrase I specifically don't like,the whole sound of it sets my teeth on edge.
Accents generally,however,I really love.My dad was from around Edinburgh,then went to school in a Cockney district and ended up in Glasgow.He made a point of speaking perfect oxfordian,as he thought similarly to Del's Dad.But sometimes he let fly to make me laugh.My elder siblings are half 'barbados-ese'.

My mum was born and raised in Thüringen but in the war fled to Aachen.Her accent,while normally exeedingly faint,broadens considerably when talking on the phone to my great-aunts in Weimar.I always think that very funny.Finally,the parents of my ex come from Hamburg.
People have been rather stumped when trying to place my origins,whichever language I speak.For some queer reason,lots of people seem to think I'm from Ireland when they hear me speak English though.Why,I don't know.
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Errata » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 am

Accents are funny things. A lot of people think my dad is from New Zealand - despite his never been to that country in his life. :lol: He even had a New Zealander convinced he was from New Zealand! He was born and bred in the English Countryside, but having lived here for 20 years has taken on a slight Shetland twang that has blended in with his English accent.
Trained Assassin - Beware! She'll hug you to death! :twisted:
Errata

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am

I'm half Brummie half Blackcountry plus when I was about 7 I accidentally bit the edge off my tongue
and the combination of these three means I sound northern
Ghost

Postby chuckie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am

Broc, my paerents came from a small town in Aberdeenshire called Turriff. They moved down to Corby to work in the steelworks which neutralised their accents. Whenever we went up to Scotland on holiday my parents accents would get stronger the further north we went untill none of us kids could understand what they were saying :lol:
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby janet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Not really a pronunciation thing - but I have noticed that the word 'absolutely' (actually - ab-so-lutey!) gets used a lot by people in conversation. Whatever happened to the word 'yes'? :?

Guilty.....I've caught myself doing this :oops: , but there's another mangling of the word which has crept in recently and that is missing off the ending. So we hear nonsensical statements such as, 'The weather was absolute awful'. It's done all the time and often by people who are supposed to be well-educated :evil:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Del » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Ghost wrote:I'm half Brummie half Blackcountry plus when I was about 7 I accidentally bit the edge off my tongue
and the combination of these three means I sound northern

I have been wondering... where is Blackcountry?
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby janet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 pm

West of Birmingham.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Watchman44 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 pm

I just have a boring Midwestern U.S. accent. I love listening to most Southern accents. They sound soothing and take their time talking. In some parts of the U.S. I think speed-talking is a sport. :lol: Still fun to listen too, but not exactly soothing.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Broccolee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:18 pm

chuckie wrote:Broc, my paerents came from a small town in Aberdeenshire called Turriff. They moved down to Corby to work in the steelworks which neutralised their accents. Whenever we went up to Scotland on holiday my parents accents would get stronger the further north we went untill none of us kids could understand what they were saying :lol:

I looove a nice scots accent!I always have to laugh when I hear my mum on the phone with the aunts.Have you ever heard east-german accents?You can sort of understand it but you constantly feel they're taking the mickey!
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree, LOVE listening to Scottish accents. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:28 pm

I think there is a certain member here who would be more than happy to demonstrate his accent for you :D
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum