What are Discworld fans called?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What are Discworld fans called?

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Star Trek fans are trekkies

Ooh, careful!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

Indeed. Trekkers get very annoyed at being called Trekkies. :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jack Remillard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Aren't Trekkies and Trekkers different but related groups (like Romulans and Vulcans)? :D
Jack Remillard

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I've never heard the term Trekkers.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Watchman44 wrote:Terry regularly calles us "A bunch of bloody loonies!" :)

and his publishers call us a bunch of idiots they can try to sell lots of different variants of the same bl@@dy book to :roll:

and yes I know this website is run by his publishers :shock:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:56 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
Watchman44 wrote:Terry regularly calles us "A bunch of bloody loonies!" :)

and his publishers call us a bunch of idiots they can try to sell lots of different variants of the same bl@@dy book to :roll:

and yes I know this website is run by his publishers :shock:

But you keep falling for it Mad :lol: I mean there are limits for the most of us. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Ah but I don't keep falling for it WWD, I just pick the most interesting variant and buy that one. I only have multiple copies if I am given another version or find it cheap in a charity shop :)

The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:I only have multiple copies if I am given another version or find it cheap in a charity shop :)

He's Mad not Daft!!!!! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks Jan, now if it was a teddy bear we were talking about then that might be different ;)

The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Ah but I don't keep falling for it WWD, I just pick the most interesting variant and buy that one. I only have multiple copies if I am given another version or find it cheap in a charity shop :)

Ok I sit corrected. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

How about Discheads?

*Ba-dum TISH!* :lol:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am

Ghost

Postby Del » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

Love it Q! :lol: :lol:

Pratchett-afidians?

Bouncy wrote:Indeed. Trekkers get very annoyed at being called Trekkies

Trekkers are wankers :roll: :lol: :lol: I am a Trekkie... OUT! LOUD AND PROUD! :D

If someone asks what you are interested in and you say "I am a Trekker" they will assume you want to go yodelling and walking up mountains... a backpack on myyyyy baaaackkkkk... val-da-reee, val-da-raaaaa....

The term "Trekkie" is sometimes considered derogatory, perhaps because of a perceived parallel to the term "groupie". Some Star Trek enthusiasts prefer the term "Trekker", while some others hold the latter term to be stupid or pretentious, and, for that reason, self-identify as "Trekkies". Some Trekkies even hold that a "Trekker" is a "Trekkie" who is embarrassed of being a "Trekkie". On the other hand, "Trekker" is sometimes used as a term for the kind of Star Trek fan who is obsessed with the minutiae and the fine details. A Trekkie was considered to be someone stupid and embarrassing to intelligent and serious fans known as Trekkers. The classic stereotype is a clueless Trekkie walking around wearing rubber Spock ears and being held up to public ridicule for his obsession. Trekkie vs Trekker mirrors the Sci-Fi vs SF debate.

Even the Star Trek fans get into heated debates about the term:

A Trekker wears a STARFLEET uniform to a convention because its fun…
A Trekkie wears a uniform to a convention because s/he has heard that it is in style at the academy.

A Trekker has a STARFLEET Academy window sticker on his car…
A Trekkie is cramming for the entrance exams.

A Trekker thinks Wil Wheaton was a lucky kid who got to play a kid on Star Trek…
A Trekkie thinks that Wesley Crusher was a lucky kid who got to sit on the bridge.

A Trekker thinks that it is a shame that the show is coming to an end…
A Trekkie thinks that it is a shame that the crew is being reassigned and the Enterprise is being decommissioned.

A Trekker knows that there are gaping holes in the technology, but ignores them and enjoys the show…
A Trekkie can't wait for the price to come down on those home food replicator units.”

Those self-identified trekkies, however, have their own fodder to fling. They associate the term trekkers with pretentious nuts obsessed over minutiae and details. Moreover, they accuse ‘trekkers’ of being too ashamed to admit they are ‘trekkies.’ Apparently this camp has the good graces of Gene Roddenbury, the creator of Star Trek. According to his former assistant, Richard Arnold, Gene Roddenbury spoke during a convention and used the term trekkie. Someone attempted to correct him, to which he responded, “Excuse me, did you say 'TrekkER?' The word is 'TrekkIE.' I should know, I created them."

And so the question still rings, trekkers or trekkies? What is the correct term of usage? My advice? When labeling any group of people, political correctness rules the day. Just to play it safe, maybe use “Star Trek enthusiast.”
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Batty » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Del wrote: I am a Trekkie... OUT! LOUD AND PROUD! :D

Image Image How many times have you asked Scotty to beam you up?? :lol:

I liked the suggestion of 'Pratchetteers', but being called a raving looney is fine with me! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Batty wrote:
Del wrote: I am a Trekkie... OUT! LOUD AND PROUD! :D

Image Image How many times have you asked Scotty to beam you up?? :lol:

I liked the suggestion of 'Pratchetteers', but being called a raving looney is fine with me! Image

Its called "desensitisation" Batty.... when you are exposed to something over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again ... it doesnt seem so terrible. :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum