Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 pm

MongoGutman wrote:Actually I don't really get the "controversy" - what's the difference between eating cow or eating horse? Who cares, and why?

If they're putting what they like in there, don't you think the quality is likely to be poor, and the animals likely to be mistreated?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 pm

They have been doing that for years especially with the cheap ones, using reformed meat which is not really not what I call meat at all. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby chillicamper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 am

Dotsie wrote:
MongoGutman wrote:Actually I don't really get the "controversy" - what's the difference between eating cow or eating horse? Who cares, and why?

If they're putting what they like in there, don't you think the quality is likely to be poor, and the animals likely to be mistreated?

And will they actually be classed as fit for human consumption. Farmers have quite strict controls on the drugs that they can used on animals if intended for human consumption.

Having owned horses, I am not a horse meat eater.

In fact when it came to having to make the decision to put my horse down due to illness I deliberately chose to let him have an injection that would mean that he could/should not be allowed in to the human food chain. However. I was also faced with the disposal of the body - being so large, you cant bury them in a shoe box in the back garden! I then had 2 choices - to either let the hunt have the body to feed their dodgs (no bloody way) or pay for cremation.

In reality, I suppose I have no way of knowing of my beloved horse was actually cremated or if some dodgy meat dealer bought the carcass and put him in a burger. It makes me shudder to think this could happen, but THAT is my real concern over this whole business. If you are dishonest enough to use the wrong (cheaper) meat, you will no doubt source it from anywhere and that may not be classed fit for human consumption.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby cheery_j. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 am

Interestingly enough my dad did the exact opposite when he had to have his horse put down. We had been keeping farm animals for years, so were used to eating animals we had known, therefore this wasn't a nono for him. Plus he preferred the horse to be killed quickly with one shot instead of having to watch her panicking when she slowly lost control of her body (he had heard from his horse friends that putting a horse down with an injection could take some time).
cheery_j.

Postby ChristianBecker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:48 am

Dotsie wrote:

As long as the customer can read on the pack what's in it, where's the problem? And of course, as long as it is meat from animals that are fit for consumption and not from an endangered species.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Batty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:
Dotsie wrote:

As long as the customer can read on the pack what's in it, where's the problem? And of course, as long as it is meat from animals that are fit for consumption and not from an endangered species.

But that's the point, CB. The ingredients are NOT listed!
It wouldn't bother me if they were, as I wouldn't object to horse meat (although I've never tried it), but to hide it smacks of a duplicitous nature.
And what of the people who cannot eat pork - either for religious or health grounds? It is really important that you know that the ingredients listed are accurate.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Another point about this is that the supermarkets are paying the suppliers for Beefburgers, and presumably being charged for such.

The manufacturer must be taking them for a huge financial ride.

It's the staff at the factory(s) that is/are currently shut down that I feel sorry for.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:54 am

Sorry, didn't l know horse wasn't listed. That's a problem then.
And as I said, I only think it is OK when the customer knows about it. As for people who cannot eat pork (or horse, seems like Jews wouldn't be allowed to eat them) for religious reasons - that's at best a semi-valid reason.
1) Muslims and Jews, if they're taking these things seriously, will buy "helal" or "kosher" stuff.
2) I know that at least Muslims may eat pork if they don't know it is pork because it was served as a beefburger e.g., or if there is nothing else to eat and they would starve otherwise.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Del » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 pm

I knew you had horse abattoirs in the UK. You guys export alot of horse meat to France. I dont see the problem with eating horse. I wouldnt. We have a huge kangaroo meat trade here and my daughter loves the meat. Its very healthy. But I couldnt eat horse or dog or kangaroo. I hate deer and rabbit too. I just prefer beef and lamb.

I dont see the point of animal activists making protests and pulling stunts about eating meat or any animal. Each to their own.

You should be able to see what you are getting is the point.

Having said that..... one of your horse abattoirs is in big trouble ... and rightly so.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/315631.html

I tried to get a link that didnt immediately start running footage of the video in question.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Library grabs headlines with plan to re-classify Lance Armstrong biographies

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article ... ographies/

Reminds me of when I visited my oldest daughter at her flat last week. I picked up a book on the floor.... It was Lance Armstrong's "Its Not All About The Bike...." We both said simultaneously.... Yeah Its about the drugs too! :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:06 am

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 am

the poor sod
Ghost

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 am

funny though :lol:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim.... blah blah.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum