Vimes in movie

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Vimes in movie

Postby DreadfulKata » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 pm

I like all the usual round of suggestions for Vimes: Hugh Laurie is clearly a physical match, and can play cynical and dry very well. Ben Miller looks right to me too. Someone somewhere suggested Jack Dee, which works for me.

But ultimately I think all of these actors would fail in a Watch TV series (at least the sort I'd want to see). They'd give fine performances, but not the right kind of performance, to my mind. What you really need is an actor with a particular quality - soulfulness - that draws the viewer in.

When I was watching the existing Discworld adaptations (I rewatched them recently), I was trying to put my finger on why they didn't really work for me. There's a few reasons (the lack of Pratchett's narrative voice is a problem, the tone is too broad etc). But one of the problems was the lack of depth in the character. Richard Coyle, for instnce, gave a decent read of Moist Von Lipwig, but divested of his inner voice, and hamming the whole thing up rather, the character wasn't sympathetic in the way Moist is on the page.

The trouble with actors like Hugh Laurie, to my mind, for the part, is that they'll give a performance that's watchable and funny, but not draw the viewer into the inner life of Vimes.

My current thoughts on this one, therefore, are: John Simm. He looks little like my mental Vimes, other than he's a skinny bloke of about the right age for Vimes-at-the-start. But Simm proved in Life On Mars that he can give a performance that takes you past the fantasy/high concept/camp/comedy stuff and makes you absolutely believe in his character. Look, see: http://nestofstraightlines.tumblr.com/image/39481787979

That works, right? Right?

Any takers?
DreadfulKata

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 am

I think I'd almost like to see a cast of unknowns. That way there wouldn't be any preconceptions about how they should or would play the parts. Unknowns may be more loyal to a series than established names that might not have the commitment for a lengthy series.

I think, as far as The Watch is concerned, Vimes is really going to be the most important role to fill. Get that right and you are half way there. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DreadfulKata » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Absolutely, Vimes is the most important to get right. The others you can trip up on without it ruining the whole thing. but you REALLY need to root for Vimes to have any involvement in the story.

I also agree actually about the cast-of-unkowns point. Even where I've come up with names, they're not serious suggestions because they're often implausible on the grounds that they're too successful for a supporting role on TV, that sort of thing.

And there's great casting directors out there who come up with better fits for roles than fans would ever have thought of. For instance, before Sherlock if someone had asked me who I thought should play the detective I probably wouldn't have come up with that one guy from Atonement.

The exception being that I'm pretty sold on Charles Dance as Lord V, and I think it's going to break my tiny little heart if they can't get him back for the part. Which they probably can't because he's over being almost equally awesome in Game Of Thrones right now
DreadfulKata

Postby DreadfulKata » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Apologies for double-posting, but I just saw a suggestion on the comments thread of another website: Sean Pertwee. I'd be right behind that casting choice.
DreadfulKata

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 pm

We don't mind double posting here. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Really we don't. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 am

Having just watched the first episode of 'The Following' I think Kevin Bacon could fit the part of Vimes quite well.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 am

Is that Lettuce, Tomato and bacon? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Nah, just a Vime's style BLT..............without the LT. ;)
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:54 pm

I would love to be his Sybil! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Is that Lettuce, Tomato and bacon? :lol:

With six degrees of separation between the B and the L T? :D
raisindot

Postby Penfold » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 am

:lol:
Penfold

Postby simmonds91 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 pm

A decent actor to play Vimes is all well and good but I think the best of them will be fans of TPratchetts art, I call it art for he paints a world, his canvas: our imagination. Ooooooooooo :lol: :lol: seriously though, it may be cliche or whatever but the best actor to portray Vimes will be a fan I think, he'd have the right mindset what with reading him for however long.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Margi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:11 am

I can't picture any actor for Vimes - I have such a strong picture in my head of him that it would take a long time to change that by watching someone play him who isn't exactly like my picture.

I can think of someone for Carrot though. I only know his first name was John, and I have only seen him act once, but...
He would need no makeup; he is about 6'3", bright ginger, built like a Greek god and possesses the stage when playing a bit part without even trying. He walks on and suddenly there is no one else there. Sound familiar? When I think of Carrot, I see that lad.

He was a pupil at King's School, Bruton, in Somerset. He would be about 26 or so now and I saw him in a school play when he was 17 or 18, just before he went off to spend a summer playing with the National Youth Theatre who had talent spotted him. I would love to know what happened to his career, or if he even continued in acting. I really should go back and ask the school for his name and see if they have any news. They keep track of all their old boys if they can.
Margi

Postby Beti » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

Wow. I always find these "who would you cast" threads fascinating. People have such wide-ranging ideas of The Perfect Actor.

While I love Hugh Laurie, I can't get Bertie Wooster and the Prince Regent out of my head. John Simm seems too nice. Philip Glenister, now, that's seems very close to me - grumpy as hell and borderline burned out but will do the right thing in the end (more or less). Sean Pertwee (I didn't realize who his dad was - now it's blindingly obvious) might be good but I haven't seen him in a lot of things.

It's too bad that Damian Lewis is too old. He was so squared away and straight-arrow in BoB, I think he'd be quite good. Toby Stephens might be alright, looks-wise, but I haven't seen him act.

I agree that it's probably best to go with unknowns. They don't have to unlearn any previous big roles and we don't have to try to dismiss any previous characters.
Beti

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels