What do you do?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What do you do?

Postby Conforumist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 am

^^^ I'm concerned it might be that, but I hope not.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby SamHain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 am

Del wrote:
Dotsie wrote:No. Be gracious in defeat, and wish the other candidate well. She will notice. Don't pretend you didn't want it (the other candidate may not work out, after all), or say that the other candidate would probably be better anyway. Modesty, even false, is destructive in the workplace!

So true Dots. Well said.

Con... sometimes Managers like to keep good workers where they are because they are doing so well. ...

Then again, sometimes they do it because they're arseholes.
There is Light, and there is Dark, but who defines what they mean?
The World goes on by Day and Night, yet Truth remains unseen.
SamHain

Location: I am the one hiding under you bed, teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red...

Postby Conforumist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 am

The situation has sent a very negative message to all of my team. In the past year, they have promoted most of the people which weren't doing well to other positions; not the top performers.
Conforumist

Postby Penfold » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I've worked at places with similar promotion policies, Con. I think it's often a case of trying to place those people in a position where they are out of the way and able to do less damage (especially if they can't be removed from the office floor any other way). :?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Del » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Exactly Penfold. Why would they promote their top salesmen.. they are the ones bringing the money in. Con it might be the time to look at similar companies with your awards for performance front and center. It's actually a positive.

"I am the companys top performer but I am looking to join a company where I can use those achievements to further their sales goals and further my own career with a view to sharing my skills in that company....." or something along those lines...

You are top of the heap Con. Use it.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:02 pm

The post office was the same. People who never should have been promoted were given jobs that took them out and away from the headquarters building. Anyone who was good at their job was kept where they were because the managers didn't want to lose them.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:40 pm

im saying nothing :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:51 pm

chris.ph wrote:im saying nothing :whistle: :whistle:

Well, that will be a first.

;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby SamHain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:44 pm

It all boils down to the game. It occurs in every office. How to do your best while throwing your coworkers under the bus so you get promoted and they don't. Which means the viscious and ruthless get promoted rather than the deserving. But then again, it's a dog-eat-dog world. So in a sense, by being ruthless, you are being deserving. :P
There is Light, and there is Dark, but who defines what they mean?
The World goes on by Day and Night, yet Truth remains unseen.
SamHain

Location: I am the one hiding under you bed, teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red...

Postby Conforumist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Don't get me wrong y'all!
I really like all the people which have been promoted to an outside position. They're all great people. Two of them put a lot of revenue through, but did not have a good "net gain". I put a lot of revenue through AND had the highest net gain.
My co-workers must be doing well in the new positions, or I'm sure would have moved them back inside.

A friend I started with was in my channel, but not doing well. He was "too" meticulous. They offered him an outside position, working with customers which currently spend nothing with us. He's doing really well there. That type of a moved makes perfect sense.
But with me and the other 2 which applied, it was not a good move not to promote any of us, because now we almost feel like we need to do "less" well.

I asked to work outside accounts in Ottawa this summer. My director called me about this aft'. I'm sure she has her nose out of joint a bit, since it came from the top down. But our national sales director told me to another manager at head office, so I did.
Hopefully it will be a positive meeting next week. She's probably happy to be rid of me at this point! :lol:
Conforumist

Postby Broccolee » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am

I used to be a dental operation assistant before doing an additional schooling to be a prophylaxis assistant for children,because I was more independant,I had my own room in the surgery and my own patients.I had planned on working in this field for a while before starting up a family.However,when I was 21,my eldest son had other ideas.
I tried going back to work for a few hours,but my boss wanted more and different hours than I was prepared to do,so I opted out.
Shortly after that,two more kids came along,and I was just a family manager for a while,before I had baby no. 4 and a divorce.
Now I'm still a family manager but give english lessons on the side to pay the bills.

I'd love to do the schooling and exams to teach english officially.
Government decreed a few years ago that primary school kids are to learn English from year one here,even special needs kids,without worrying about WHO is supposed to do the teaching.So primary school kids are having English lessons with teachers who haven't spoken a word of English since their high school days and have no idea how to teach a language.

That is why a lot of kids,when they go to secondary school and are confronted with 'proper' English teachers who assume that they have had proper English lessons for four years previously,suddenly find they need someone like me to explain what the difference between and adverb and an adjektive is and why 'I want' is not the same as 'I will' and how to pronounce the 'th'.
I love it and it's very rewarding (and sometimes very funny).
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum