The Mystery Novel...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Mystery Novel...

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 pm

http://www.facebook.com/pratchett/posts/10151177855660025

According to Facebook, TP is writing a new, top secret novel. What can it be?

Well, speculation aside, as much as I'd like to see another addition to the Discworld series, I'm actually warming to his latest non-Discworld work. Nation, Dodger, and his co-written The Long Earth have all been pretty good (though how much of the latter work was done by Stephen Baxter, I've no idea).

What would I like to see? Surprise me, Terry Pratchett, and pleasantly so. :think:

Actually, one thing I would like to see is if Terry Pratchett could write a Doctor Who novel (or even TV story). He has criticised the program, although he confesses to liking it all the same, and I'd like to see him put his money where his mouth is, and join his fellow Good Omens alumnus Neil Gaiman in writing for the program in one form or another.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Re: The Mystery Novel...

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Q, you're on facebook? :o I thought you lived in total anonymity! ;)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

mC if you click on Sir Terry on the top banner under the graphic this is what you get.

Recent Facebook Activity
An exciting message from the founder, the countdown has begun! http://www.you...
January 12, 2013
Terry is currently working on a new Top Secret novel. What would you like to see...
January 10, 2013
Merry Christmas one and all!
December 25, 2012
Untitled
December 19, 2012 :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 pm

ooo now you got me interested.
Whaterver it's gonna be, I'm sure it's gonna be good!
Cheery

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:mC if you click on Sir Terry on the top banner under the graphic this is what you get.

Recent Facebook Activity
An exciting message from the founder, the countdown has begun! http://www.you...
January 12, 2013
Terry is currently working on a new Top Secret novel. What would you like to see...
January 10, 2013
Merry Christmas one and all!
December 25, 2012
Untitled
December 19, 2012 :mrgreen:

Oooow...!
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 am

michelanCello wrote:Q, you're on facebook? :o I thought you lived in total anonymity! ;)

Not total anonymity, but I would rather die than be on Facebook, and the only time I would take to the Twitter is if I ever become a successful novelist. I hates social media. Gollum! Gollum!
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Quatermass wrote:
michelanCello wrote:Q, you're on facebook? :o I thought you lived in total anonymity! ;)

Not total anonymity, but I would rather die than be on Facebook, and the only time I would take to the Twitter is if I ever become a successful novelist. I hates social media. Gollum! Gollum!

Soon, then? ;)
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

michelanCello wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Soon, then? ;)

Not soon enough. If ever. Here's hoping I win the TP Prize.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Quatermass wrote:Actually, one thing I would like to see is if Terry Pratchett could write a Doctor Who novel (or even TV story).

Good Lord. With the limited remaining output he may have left, the last thing I would want him to waste his precious talent on in would be a Dr. Who book. :D

Quatermass wrote:I hates social media. Gollum! Gollum!.

Rather ironic to express a hatred of social media by posting your message on a forum that is, by definition, a kind of social media. SM is not limited to Facebook, Twitter and its ilk. :think:
raisindot

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm

raisindot wrote:

Rather ironic to express a hatred of social media by posting your message on a forum that is, by definition, a kind of social media. SM is not limited to Facebook, Twitter and its ilk. :think:

...Your point? :|

I disagree. Facebook and the Twitter and all that noise means that you spray any garbage you want all over the internet. Here, at least you have a certain...cloistered community. Plus, it's easier to [EFF!] up on Facebook or the Twitter.

I guess the difference between the social media I hate and BBSes is moderation. I don't think moderators exist in social media. All you have to moderate yourself IS yourself.

Derail over.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Quatermass wrote:
raisindot wrote:

...Your point? :|

I disagree. Facebook and the Twitter and all that noise means that you spray any garbage you want all over the internet. Here, at least you have a certain...cloistered community. Plus, it's easier to [EFF!] up on Facebook or the Twitter.

Uh, no, FB and Twitter don't spray garbage all over the Internet--if you don't subscribe to it, you don't receive it, just like a BBS. Seems to me your philosophy is: If it's a public online forum I like, it's a BBS. If it's a public online forum I hate, it's social media. This is social media. You're using it right now. If you don't like Facebook or Twitter that's fine (I hate Twitter myself).
don't delude yourself.
raisindot

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 am

Okay, okay, it's social [EFF!]ing media! Jesus H Christ in a galvanised steel bucket, I thought that I was pedantic to a ridiculous degree. But I must bow to the winner and the champion.

Back. Onto. Topic.

Okay, so speculation about what the mystery novel will be? The next Discworld book? The sequel to The Long Earth? Or something else?

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby =Tamar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 am

Quatermass wrote:Okay, so speculation about what the mystery novel will be? The next Discworld book? The sequel to The Long Earth? Or something else?

Sequel to Dodger? It's been rumored there might be one.
=Tamar

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 am

=Tamar wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Okay, so speculation about what the mystery novel will be? The next Discworld book? The sequel to The Long Earth? Or something else?

Sequel to Dodger? It's been rumored there might be one.

Yeah, but did the story leave itself open to one? I'm not convinced it did. :think:

-the Master
Quatermass

Return to Terry Pratchett