Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby chillicamper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 am

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job Con - maybe it means that there's something even better just around the corner for you. :)

Thanks for all the good wishes chaps. The whole family are just beginning to feel a bit better - tired but not so ill. Got to get to the shops today to stock up. Been too ill to get much in other than a few basics, but now we are scraping around for meals so we've got to do a big shop. It'll be the 1st time out of the house in over a week and a half for Karen :shock:

Then I've got to find the energy to look at the camper - you're right AV. An old vehicle is never totally fixed - just biding it's time between things going wrong. Most of the time it's something obvious that break, and whilst it's a pain you know what you have to do to fix it. This time it's an intermitent fault that seemed to fix itself......but I can't just leave it at that, cos it will happen again when I least need a breakdown. So just got to work though every wire/earth and see if I can find anything :roll: Normally I love a bit of camper time - crawling around fixing it, but at the moment the thought is not filling me with joy. :?
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 am

Bad luck con :( The last job I didn't get that I really wanted, the woman left after a year and they practically begged me to take it. Then I left after a year :twisted:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Sorry to hear that Con. It must be even harder to take after receiving those awards as well but hopefully it just means that something better will turn up just around the corner. :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Chilli, sorry you and Karen have to face those things when you're still so wiped out. I hate grocery shopping when I'm perfectly healthy.

Sorry to hear about the job Con.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear about the job,Con. :( *hugs*
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby serendipnick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 am

Hey, I guess I'm kind of new-ish here (mostly a lurker), so I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I've been reading Catch-up's story and I guess I wanted to say - well done, you.

I work as an assistant English teacher in Japan and the culture here is pretty different, to say the least. For one thing, teachers are expected to be far more involved and caring about the welfare of their students, whereas parents take a bit of a back seat. I've also never encountered a teacher who was so arrogant as to be "upset" when someone criticized the way they were doing their job! If someone is criticizing the way you're doing your job, you'd better be prepared to either defend your actions logically and sensibly or eat some humble pie and try to figure out how to improve (and for the record, most of the Japanese teachers I've worked with take the humble pie route about 99% of the time...)

Honestly... it's a bit philosophical, but I think a child's education should be a sort of agreement between the child, the home environment (whatever that may be - parents or otherwise), and the school. If one of those is out of kilter, that can be really damaging. So logically, from my perspective, it's your right as a parent to work with the school to get to the bottom of what's going wrong there. If they're not pulling their weight, call them on it. And yeah, obviously it doesn't make sense to make yourself unpopular, but really... I just can't get over what sounds like the arrogance of the teacher in that position. For goodness' sake, if you're in charge of the education of children, as well as their welfare for a third of the day... you'd better be doing it right! Kids can be pretty vicious and it's the duty of an educator to create an environment where they are made aware that behaviour like that is NOT OK.

Anyway, I hope the situation works out well. It seems like you are taking a far more sensible and helpful stance than you otherwise might, so hopefully the teacher/ school will get their backside in gear and start acting positively.
WWGWD
serendipnick

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm

That is so nice of you to say and I really appreciate it. Thank you! Very timely as well since I just had another meeting this morning. Met with two other staff members to get a handle on what the SOP is supposed to be in these situations. Apparently there is none! This has been a huge adjustment. What seemed so simple and straightforward in the past is now a problem. Why is that? Anyway, overall it was a really good meeting because I think I have a better understanding of how things work at this school and a very clear plan moving forward. Because these were two people I knew well before the move up to middle school, it was also possible to have something of a frank discussion regarding my previous frustrations and that was helpful too.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Conforumist wrote:I don't really know where to post this...

I did not get the position that I applied for at work. :(
I really feel I have proved myself. They said they had some really strong candidates from outside the company and they went with them instead.
I'm pretty upset, but I prayed that God would do what was best for me, so I have to believe that this is it, or that something else may come along.

I'm so sorry, Con! :( I know how much you've been hoping for it! But as you say: something better will turn up!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Well. There's just been a huge re-org and layoffs at Hubby's company. He's always escaped these in the past, but not today. Fun stuff!
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 pm

thats horrible to hear I hope your husband finds a job soon kay Image
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 pm

By not escaping, do you mean he's been laid off? Or that he might be? :( (((Hugs))) and :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

So sorry to hear that, Susanne. :( *HUGS*
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm

So sorry to hear that Susanne, I hope he finds something else quickly. :(
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:25 pm

as above catch up, hope he finds something quickly
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby wicked woman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Hugs Susanne, and con. Hope things work out for you.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum