Whether the weather, Whatever the Weather.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Whether the weather, Whatever the Weather.

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Ugh. Just realized with all the rain and snow melting, the pastures are going to be awful at riding this evening. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm

's me in Budapest today :lol: THERE'S SNOW! :D I've built a snow man :D a small one, mind you, more like a snow dwarf... but he's cute ;)
Also, noticed the snow at 3 AM, so ran down to the street (deserted) and made a snow-angel :mrgreen: at least after that I had some energy to study every. single. date. which has to do with the The American Revolutionary War (knew them all at the exam ;))
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 pm

michelanCello wrote:Image

that is a beautiful shot
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

It's Doisneau, 'course it is ;)
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the pic :) And I have every faith in your ability to ace your exams! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby michelanCello » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks, Dotsie! :D 3 to go! Though I'm a bit sad now, cause I just noticed that in order to have a chance for an Erasmus scolarship, you need at least an aveage of 4,00 (on a scale of 5) which would've easy-peasy at high school (always was somewhere around or above 4,8), but now, even though I think I've done pretty well so far, I'm lucky to get 3,7! :( next semester I'll have to start studying :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Del » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:That's sounds bit like home here, all said and done I'm happy to be home, London in the summer at night can get unpleasantly muggy so you have a bit of trouble getting to sleep.
:laughing-rofl: :laughing-rolling:

Right Dug.

We have had a week of heatwave. Last night was the first night that I slept in three days as your body and your brain SAYS its supposed to get cooler at night right? It was in the high 20C's and sooooo humid. Last night a BREEZE (and by that I mean a cool breeze... not one like off a blowtorch) came up... it was the only topic of conversation. :lol:

Spoke to alot of my family and friends and they have been doing what I have been doing... staying awake for so many days that eventually your body cant take it anymore and you fall over with exhaustion for a few hours sleep EVEN if its 40C. I woke up one night thinking a nest of spiders had hatched in my bedroom and that they were running over my body :o (yes that has happened to me a few times). It was only sweat running over my skin... the fan had cut out. Spent another night sleeping under a wet towel with the fan on me. Kept getting up to put them over the girls.

We headed out a few times to seek shelter in shopping malls but it was a considered trip because my car air con isnt working and actually BEING in the car to go somewhere was shocking. I would head down to a basement carpark and drive around for an hour waiting for a park to become available because to park it in the sun meant it would heat up so badly that we couldnt get back in. Finally just ended up "stalking" people coming into the carpark and begging them to tell me where they were parked and could they wait until I got there and save me their place. It can get nasty as others wanting the place feel its their space and "carpark rage" can be a bit of a problem :roll: Silly huh. Heat can really get to some people.

I think we here in Queensland (Brissy at least) are used to having really hot days.. but we know that a horrendous storm will hit in the afternoon and cool things down. We are getting the heat but not the cool down storm.

And still I feel guilty complaining because as bad as it was it wasnt AS bad as most of the rest of Australia. :oops:

They have actually had to add another two colours (purple and pink) to the temp map as the records went off the scales we already had.

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/01/aus ... ature-map/

And yes.. there were a few days when I couldnt use my phone. It heated up alarmingly.

So we have a few days of cool... just to temp us.... but its such a welcome break... the heat will be back soon.

mC.... I am so delighted that even when you live in snow you find fun in running down and making a snow angel ! :D :D :D
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm

-5 here this morning loads of black ice went down the road sideways twice this morning on the way to work :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:43 pm

It's not due to snow here until tomorrow.

mC - That is a really lovely photo! Image

Del - how is M? Is she back home safely yet??? Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah M got home the day before the heatwave hit where she was. SHE had gorgeous weather the whole time she was away :roll: though they couldnt go in the sea because it was just all rips... sad when they were camping on the beach in one of the most beautiful coastal areas of the world... so they drove to beaches a bit further along where there were patrolled beaches and lifesavers (omg she DOES have common sense!).

I was impressed. They had bushland around them and they talked about a Bushfire Escape Plan just in case. The area they were in had some fires after they left but not to the degree the rest of the state was in. Just spot fires that crop up everywhere at this time and under control very quickly.

My brother lives on Bribie Island. Bribie is about 70 klms from Brisbane. Their blaze has been horrific and been burning for a week.. but he's fine. On the other side of the island but his house looks like a volcanic ash site and he has been blanketed in heavy smoke most of the week.

Bribie Island

The haze over Brisbane from the Bribie Island fire.... so you can imagine how nasty it is THERE. Truly was up near there staying with friends on the mainland for the weekend and they were getting covered in ash from the Bribie fire. They were a bit worried about flying embers but the fire service assured them the ember attacks werent that far out.
Del

Postby Batty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Phew! That's a relief!
All your advice about M having a bushfire escape plan obviously had an effect! Well Done, M! :clap:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm

You're having it a bit rough over there Del, I hope it does not last last much longer for you all.

And 20-21C at night was too much for me you can't leave a window open either.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:08 pm

My god, all the stuff that's happening in Australia scares me. :( Hope it's gonna end soon for all of you down there.
Cheery

Postby Del » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh no. I'm fine. Aunty Vague is in the worst of it. They are getting another heatwave this week and her state has seen bad fires. I hope it goes well for her area.

Batty wrote:All your advice about M having a bushfire escape plan obviously had an effect! Well Done, M!

You know how teens love to prove you wrong? That you were overdramatic? She was very quiet about the camping trip. Very willing to share that they DID talk about a Bushfire Plan, loads of information about alternate routes to the beach, what the key would be to pack and leave, etc... and I know there were spot fires in her area... nothing at all to worry about (yes I was glued to the RFS website). I suspect they may have had a little whiff of smoke. ;)
Del

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:42 pm

That Black n White photo is beautiful. Best of luck to ya mC.

Jeez Del, sorry you've not been sleeping in the heat. The weather has been a bit ordinary here as well but I've been getting sleep at night. We had rain yesterday, hallelujah! Had a quick look at the BOM site, looks like it's cooled down over the country for the moment.

I dunno about you Del but I find it hard to get my head around Victoria & Tasmania being like a tinder box. I hope Aunty stays safe.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum