DEATH of capital letters

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

DEATH of capital letters

Postby Txam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 pm

I was reading in an American Harper Fiction edition and found a quote by Death on page 12 that was partly in lower case and missing the quotation marks.
Then Death said, YOU SURELY ARE NOT ASKING ME to grant a wish?
I would assume that to be a typo. Has anyone else run across this type of error in one of the Discworld books?
Txam

Re: DEATH of capital letters

Postby AgProv » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 pm

This isn't a book like Reaper Man" where Death is oscillating between being Death and being merely human? I remember his dialogue goes from capitals to lowercase, sometimes in the same sentence, to mark this.
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Txam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 am

This was in my copy of Witches Abroad. Have not read Reaper Man yet.
Txam

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 am

Welcome to the site Txam! :D

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was a type setting error. Some of the books have errors that are quite glaring.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:35 am

By coincidence, I read that line only a couple of days ago. Mine was set fine, all caps.

Welcome to the site! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:19 am

Dotsie wrote:By coincidence, I read that line only a couple of days ago. Mine was set fine, all caps.

Welcome to the site! :D

Yeah, we all believe that you read that by chance. (we both know you sought it out when the overwhelming urge to prove him wrong arose)

:P
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am

Now I'm suppressing an overwhelming urge to prove you wrong, by pointing to my post on the "What are you reading?" thread. But I won't. Aargh! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 pm

:lol:
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Txam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 am

Dotsie, is your copy a British or American edition?
Txam

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 am

It's British, the Corgi paperback.
Dotsie

Postby AgProv » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 pm

the American edition of "Good Omens". ... it's obviously been Americanised, as some of the detail, esp in the footnotes, has been completely changed, presumably to make more sense to the USA readership.

Whoever did the rewrite into American also thought they were correcting a (non-existant) error on page 32, concerning the Arrangement between Crowley and Aziraphale...
If one was going to Hull for a quick temptation, it made sense to nip across the city and carry out a standard brief moment of divine ecstacy....

In the American paperback, somebody unaware of the existence of a fishing port city on the Humber estuary, on the Yorkshire-Lincolnshire border, has altered this to read
If one was going to Hell for a quick temptation, it made sense to nip across the city and carry out a standard brief moment of divine ecstacy....
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 pm

I had a friend lived in Hull, and she used to say "It's not hell, but you can see it from here".
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 pm

:lol: I've heard it's quite grim there, a lot of unemployed people and not must hope of getting a job.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 am

AgProv wrote:the American edition of "Good Omens". ... it's obviously been Americanised, as some of the detail, esp in the footnotes, has been completely changed, presumably to make more sense to the USA readership.

Whoever did the rewrite into American also thought they were correcting a (non-existant) error on page 32, concerning the Arrangement between Crowley and Aziraphale...
If one was going to Hull for a quick temptation, it made sense to nip across the city and carry out a standard brief moment of divine ecstacy....

In the American paperback, somebody unaware of the existence of a fishing port city on the Humber estuary, on the Yorkshire-Lincolnshire border, has altered this to read
If one was going to Hell for a quick temptation, it made sense to nip across the city and carry out a standard brief moment of divine ecstacy....

...Why?

I mean, i'm as american as they come, but I had no problems understanding what was going on in any of the books. I mean, ok, I didn't know what a Privy was, but I figured it out after a fashion.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 pm

It also doesn't make much sense either. Crowley and certainly not Aziraphale simply "visits" hell, especially not for a "quick temptation" and even then, why would one go to hell and another merely "across the city" for the "Devine ecstacy"? It would make more sense if "across the city" was changed to Heaven if they put it that way.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Next

Return to Discworld novels