I Say, You Say... (Accents and quirks)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: I Say, You Say... (Accents and quirks)

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

It is in Shetland. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It is in Shetland. :lol:

Well, according to the Cockneys, that's a pony piece of info. :P :lol:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Errata » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Quartermass wrote:
Errata wrote:Noo dan Bairns, blyde tae see dee aa' daday. Foo's du?

...I don't think this is any language known to man. :|

As Tony said, it is Shetland dialect.

The translation is now then children, glad to see you all today. How are you.

Of course that makes no sense and is really more like hello everybody, glad to meet you today, how are you.

Noo den is just a greeting we give when we first see you.

Another is wit lik? Which again is a how are you question, kind of a what's up?

:D
Trained Assassin - Beware! She'll hug you to death! :twisted:
Errata

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:08 am

Okay, okay, I got the idea. And Errata, please spell my username in future 'Q-U-A-T-E-R-M-A-S-S'. It's a pet peeve of mine when people don't spell it right. There is no Quarter in Quatermass. :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Quatermass
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:11 am

It's one of those odd names where the brain thinks it sees one thing but actually gets it wrong. It's like when you see the word 'pubic' and think it says 'public'. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby AuntyVague » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 am

Tonyblack wrote:It's one of those odd names where the brain thinks it sees one thing but actually gets it wrong. It's like when you see the word 'pubic' and think it says 'public'. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, I remember being very distressed as a pre-teen reading somewhere (what I thought said) '...and as you develop you will start growing hair in your public areas' :shock:

As for ways of saying things, I'm a 't' dropper, which is a bit of a 'Strine thing. It was a bit difficult when I worked at a place called Interchange. Unless I was really concentrating I would keep answering the phone with Inner-change rather than In-ter-change. I drop the first e from literature too, which my darling beloved will pick me up on every time. Bless him.
AuntyVague

Postby SamHain » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 am

I tend to be an accent sponge. If I'm exposed to it long enough, I unintentionally begin to imitate and intigrate. Unfortunately, this tend to offend people I'm speaking to while I transition. Fortunately, it doesn't take long for me to either fully make the jump, or catch myself and snap back into my own speech patterns.

The Quick Ear. It served me well in band and choir, and has served me all the better in learning languages I'm not native to. Native Spanish speakers have asked me if I'm from Venezuela or Colombia given that I learn to speak Spanish from a Colombian professor.

The only time I really muck it up is when intentionally attempting to imitate an accent I'm unfamiliar with. Then I tend to fall horribly into the Americanized stereotype of the accent, which of course, hastens the offense.
There is Light, and there is Dark, but who defines what they mean?
The World goes on by Day and Night, yet Truth remains unseen.
SamHain

Location: I am the one hiding under you bed, teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red...

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 am

I've been reading it as Quarter in my head the entire time. never noticed there was no R :?

SamHain, I'm the same way. If i'm around people with heavy accents long enough they kind of pop up as I talk to them. I usually catch myself though. and I also tend to be able to pronounce stuff correctly once I hear it.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 am

Catch-up wrote:My grandmother used to say "draw" for drawer. Now that my mom is older, she says it every once in a while. :?

I do that, it's quite common round here. I also say "ah mun aftur" for "I'm going to have to", but it's so quick people generally understand me (mC & Sjoerd can disagree if they like ;) )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I've been reading it as Quarter in my head the entire time. never noticed there was no R :?

:lol: Me too! Sorry Q, I'm afraid your stuck as "Quartermass" in my head. Errata, you can save the trouble by just calling him "Q". Then he won't get twitchy about the spelling. ;) :D As someone with a differently spelled first name, I'm immune to someone misspelling or mispronouncing it. I have a good friend who gets twitchy when someone calls me a nickname rather than my full name though. :lol: He can't stand it and corrects them.

Dotsie wrote:
Catch-up wrote:My grandmother used to say "draw" for drawer. Now that my mom is older, she says it every once in a while. :?

I do that, it's quite common round here. I also say "ah mun aftur" for "I'm going to have to", but it's so quick people generally understand me (mC & Sjoerd can disagree if they like ;) )

My grandmother wasn't exactly one of my favorite people, so that's probably why I dislike it so much. Now when my mom does it I'll switch the association in my head from grandmother to you and then I'll have a reason to like it. :) I have said "ah mun aftur" about a dozen times now and I can't translate it. :oops:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:44 pm

:lol: :lol:

I = Ah
Am going to = am gonna = 'm gon = mun
have to = haff tur = aftur

See? Simples!
Last edited by Dotsie on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 pm

raisindot wrote:Everything everyone else has mentioned so pales in comparison to the gut-wrentching, chalkboard-scratching, brain frying awfulness of the Bahhhhhston accent. :D

Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:34 pm

:lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Dotsie wrote::lol: :lol:

I = Ah
Am going to = am gonna = 'm gon = mun
have to = haff tur = aftur

See? Simples!

Of course! It's so obvious now. :lol:

Ghost, that's perfect. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 pm

I worked with a nurse from Spain the other day. Lovely accent though he talked veryveryfast.

I don't like this rhetorical (?) question, "Tell me I'm right?" Or, "Am I right?" after a statement or more usually someones opinion. Drives me batshit.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum