Old TV interview

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Old TV interview

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 am

Just found this well Feegled it :mrgreen: TV interview from almost 18 years ago.

He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Old TV interview

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Cool.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby SimonAtford » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Ah CD Roms. Remember when they were the future? :mrgreen:
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
SimonAtford

Postby ramtopsman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm

I think its funny how titmarsh asks if computers will be the main source for reading in the future and terry says NO because people wont want to look at a screen Oh how he couldn't be more wrong :) never make a prediction of the future thats what i say
Check out all things pratchett at

www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman
ramtopsman

Postby SimonAtford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 am

Possibly but I think that books and E-readers will coexist for quite some time yet.

Stop...

Carry on!
SimonAtford

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm

ramtopsman wrote:I think its funny how titmarsh asks if computers will be the main source for reading in the future and terry says NO because people wont want to look at a screen Oh how he couldn't be more wrong :) never make a prediction of the future thats what i say

In that case, why is he making his titles available on Kindle? ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 am

The thing about predictions is that you can never know what will happen in the future. What Terry said made sense at the time. Very few people would want to spend hours in front of an old CRT monitor reading a book. LCD monitors improved matters a lot and eInk screens are brilliant but so far removed from the tech that was available at the time of the prediction.

I agree that books and ebooks will do-exist for some time. Whenever I look to purchase new titles now I will check to see if the ebook price is cheaper / available especially if the book is large and heavy. I like the feel of real books and I like ebooks. I guest what I really like though is the stories within.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm

With some new authors I am tending to download the e-book after I have read the preview of it, the last big novel I downloaded was Reamde about 1200 pages or thereabouts,too big to read in bed comfortably.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby SimonAtford » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:31 pm

I have a sort of theory that paperbacks might disappear but hardbacks might survive as nice objects for collectors. A similar thing seems with music downloads replacing CDs whilst vinyl still sells to enthusiast.

Stop...

Carry on!
SimonAtford

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 pm

You may be right Simon, I for one only get hardbacks of any new books now, it was at first because I couldn't wait for the paperbacks to come out and the strength of them (wont crumple or wear out as quickly) but now that I have bought so many it would be like.... disrupting the pattern? It's why I don't want the new paperback re-prints for the first books (I don't mind paperback but it has a new desighn you see)
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 pm

SimonAtford wrote:I have a sort of theory that paperbacks might disappear but hardbacks might survive as nice objects for collectors. A similar thing seems with music downloads replacing CDs whilst vinyl still sells to enthusiast.

As a collector of paperbacks, I have well over 2,500 and Folio editions (slipcased hardbacks), over 800 of those, I have to say that the paperbacks days are far from numbered. Many more paperbacks are sold than hardbacks even now which is certainly not the case with CD and vinyl which is completely the opposite of the case you are puitting.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 pm

As the hardbacks keeps getting more expensive to buy, I don't see the demise of the paperback anytime soon, as publishers they won't take a chance on a new untried author for a 1st novel in a hardback due to production costs, it would be cutting me own throat Gov. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Return to Terry Pratchett