What do you love MOST about the forum?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What do you love MOST about the forum?

Postby cheery_j. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:44 pm

What I love most about this forum is that it is such a family friendly place! No rule #34 here! No ma'am.
cheery_j.

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I don't know why the CA site isn't so lively either (although I don't think the new look forum helps - it's calf scale yellow!) but I do think it's evolved and become more focused on events. As someone who can't actually get to the events, I do feel a bit ... not left out, exactly, but perhaps less involved. Also, there is less input these days from Uncle B and co (and that's perfectly understandable too) and there is less Fun Stuff going on. I think a lot people on that site interact in real life with each other so feel less need to post? I don't know.[/quote]
I have not been able to log on since the change to CA forum I hope ti's sorted out soon Reb on the case so I'm not worried, :mrgreen: but I don't like the pukey colours :roll: though so bland there was nothing wrong with the blue.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 pm

I don't think the colors are too bad, but it is awfully quiet over there.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I can look in but not post. :(
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Selkie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Maybe that's why it's so quiet - if only half the members can actually post now! :?
Selkie

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 am

That certainly wouldn't help! But it seems like it's been pretty quiet for a long time now.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 am

It definitely does back a while since it got so quiet. I'd say the last update of the site before this one. They started to get a bit snotty there about greeting new members anywhere other than the official place to greet people. And, although they have a thread for new people to introduce themselves, other members were getting told off (by PM) for responding to new members on that thread. :?

I generally don't like the "no deviations" type thread and try to avoid them here. You can have too many rules sometimes.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Selkie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 am

That's true - having 2 threads - one for new posters to say hi and one for forumites to say welcome is counter intuitive and the no spam rule means you cant respond when people do say hi and it makes us seem stand-offish. Can't say that about here though!
Selkie

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am

Oh yes! Forgot about that. There's a separate thread to welcome people. It's awkward. I always wonder if the new people know they're being welcomed somewhere else.
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 am

Tonyblack wrote:I generally don't like the "no deviations" type thread and try to avoid them here. You can have too many rules sometimes.

I think the digressions are the subjects of some of the most fun and interesting conversations/posts we've had on here. While it can be a bit silly at times and way, way off topic we normally get back on track at some point. ;) :lol:

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 am

Catch-up wrote:Oh yes! Forgot about that. There's a separate thread to welcome people. It's awkward. I always wonder if the new people know they're being welcomed somewhere else.

I used to enjoy welcoming people on that site. But I was told off for doing it. I've been on sites where new posters are pretty much ignored and they tend to feel they aren't a part of the site, which make for a cliquey feel. Saying "welcome" and making people feel they belong is much more likely to cause people to want to stay - isn't it?

Without new members making fresh contributions to a site, that site will eventually die out. At least that's how I feel about it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Conforumist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:21 am

Yeah, I guess you's guys are "ok". ;)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:25 am

Penfold wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I generally don't like the "no deviations" type thread and try to avoid them here. You can have too many rules sometimes.

I think the digressions are the subjects of some of the most fun and interesting conversations/posts we've had on here. While it can be a bit silly at times and way, way off topic we normally get back on track at some point. ;) :lol:

Thats why, I think of all the different forums and forums styles i've been a part of/seen, I like the newer nested style boards best (with the "show reply" toggle arrow thing). Hulu and a few other sites I know use it. its great for going off on tangents, but at the same time doesn't derail the thread completely. a single thread can have a dozen conversations going on at once. but never does it seem out of hand.

for those not sure what i mean. it'd be

Original post
---reply to reply
---reply to reply
-----reply to reply to reply
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Willem » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 am

For me it's the sense of community. Even though I haven't posted much, I still check in regularly to see how you're all doing since you're lovely :)
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Oh yes! Forgot about that. There's a separate thread to welcome people. It's awkward. I always wonder if the new people know they're being welcomed somewhere else.

I used to enjoy welcoming people on that site. But I was told off for doing it. I've been on sites where new posters are pretty much ignored and they tend to feel they aren't a part of the site, which make for a cliquey feel. Saying "welcome" and making people feel they belong is much more likely to cause people to want to stay - isn't it?

Without new members making fresh contributions to a site, that site will eventually die out. At least that's how I feel about it.

How bizarre! Tony said hello, and another member sent me a pm. But I don't remember much more than that. And at the time, it was too busy and I just didn't have time to 'integrate' myself, so I had no idea what was going on. Shame.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum