choosing to die

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: choosing to die

Postby Penfold » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/270716801674014722/photo/1

Choosing to Die wins Best Documentary at the International Emmys.

:clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well deserved for a very difficult subject. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Penfold wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/270716801674014722/photo/1

Choosing to Die wins Best Documentary at the International Emmys.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well deserved for a very difficult subject. :D

On Twitter earlier.

Terry Pratchett Terry PratchettVerified ‏@terryandrob

"I will accept any award that isn't posthumous" :mrgreen:

But very well done. :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Congratulations to all concerned! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 pm

:clap: Congrats! :clap: :clap:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 pm

"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Congrats! :clap:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:17 am

As above.
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am

I watched the full documentary earlier tonight. Very profound, and disturbing, though the latter is to be expected, given the subject matter. And I wouldn't have said Mr Smedley's death was completely dignified. The poor sod went out asking for a glass of water. Possibly the last thing on his mind as he went out. And those horrid snores. Poor sod. :(

Definitely a thought-provoking work, though. And something any intelligent person who has an opinion on euthanasia, for or against, should watch.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Quatermass wrote:Definitely a thought-provoking work, though. And something any intelligent person who has an opinion on euthanasia, for or against, should watch.

I fully agree, Q. I know a few people who were either totally pro or anti assisted death before watching the documentary and were having second thoughts about their stance afterwards. To affect two such polarized camps of thought in such a manner takes a lot of skill and highlights the impartiality of the arguments, both for and against, and the way they were presented.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Penfold wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Definitely a thought-provoking work, though. And something any intelligent person who has an opinion on euthanasia, for or against, should watch.

I fully agree, Q. I know a few people who were either totally pro or anti assisted death before watching the documentary and were having second thoughts about their stance afterwards. To affect two such polarized camps of thought in such a manner takes a lot of skill and highlights the impartiality of the arguments, both for and against, and the way they were presented.

It didn't affect my choice, which was already made before I actually watched it. In fact, it only solidified my decision. But all the same, it did illuminate one key problem with Terry Pratchett wanting assisted suicide that I hadn't even considered: by the time he would be in a state to require euthanasia, he probably wouldn't be in a state to consent to it. Which was a sad revelation that I hadn't considered (and I'm smart enough that I should have noticed it). The two people in the program proper, Peter Smedley and Andrew Colgan, were of sound mind, more or less, when they decided to end their lives.

Even so, I think euthanasia is a last resort more than anything else. Yes, in some cases it's good, especially where terminal illness is concerned. But if it does get legalised in the UK or anywhere else, then it needs a metric [EFF!]ton of regulation. I noticed with Dignitas that they had a lot of paperwork before they were given that final draught. That, and the consistent and relatively annoying (but necessary, obviously) asking whether the 'patient' (I dunno what to call a potential partaker of euthanasia) seriously wants to die at least showed that they were professionals and thorough.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 am

Not as professonal as we would all like, methinks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... linic.html

:doh:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby MortalWare » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

MortalWare

Postby Cheery » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 pm

MortalWare wrote:Never give up hope:

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/new-compou ... s-symptoms

That's a very interesting development. Here's hoping *crosses fingers*.
It would be magnificient if this would turn out to be successful.
Cheery

Postby mstenten » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you very much for this film. It was difficult to watch, but very important. I watched this film 3 weeks before accompanying my mother, father and sister to Zurich. My mother suffered from motor neuron disease, Lou Gehrig's Disease in US or for baseball fans. Aside from leaving her family, her greatest regret is that the services provided by Dignitas are not widely available in the US (only 2 states).

I am glad to say my mother passed with dignity and bravery. Thank you Terry and thank you Dignitas.

I wish Terry the best of luck with his fight against Alzheimer's.
mstenten

Postby Quatermass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

For any Aussie viewers who missed out, it's coming back to SBS on March 10, at 9:35.

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett