Australian Bushfires

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Australian Bushfires

Postby Del » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm

We have a week ahead of us where record temps will sweep across the most vulnerable parts of our country as far as bushfires go.... it will be a week where we will wait with fingers crossed that the worst will not come to bear.

I guess we all look to Victoria with concern after the last terrible bushfires... but I guess we never really thought Tasmania (that little island at the bottom) would be the one to burn first. I think what saved so many of these people is that they could run to the beach to escape the fires.

South Australia, parts of the Northern Territory and Queensland, Western Australia will record temps around 47C and above !!(they have already had weeks of temps in the low to mid 40C's and have a history of devastating bushfires).. and of course all states already have quite a number of bushfires burning.

Its all lining up like a powder keg ready to explode. And in so many states. Most areas are rated "catastrophic alert" not just with the temps and low humidity, but 70klm winds coming. (which as like a fan forced oven..or a blowtorch)

Queensland's south east looks okay for now (seriously... when you start being grateful for temps in the high 30C's to low 40C's due this week you KNOW there is something very wrong everywhere else) but the rest of Queensland is set to roast.
Celsius = Fahrenheit
40 - 104
41 - 105.8
42 - 107.6
43 - 109.4
44 - 111.2
45 - 113
46 - 114.8
47 - 116.6
48 - 118.4
49 - 120.2

Australia loses more people to heat stroke death than any other natural disaster... and I guess we take it for granted to protect ourselves (oh gods I become an overbearing mother during heatwaves... "drink water" "stay out of the sun") but the first and foremost concern here is to be so very aware of not making a spark, lighting a fire, etc. because while you can to some degree try to stay cool (and alive) there isnt much you can do if a wall of flame is heading your way. (YES! They are warning people to put their fire plans into effect and BE prepared but they are worried so many havent done it).

Fingers crossed for the next week.

And this isnt even the hot part of our year.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/lat ... es-police/
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Re: Australian Bushfires

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Those are brutal temps! And I can't even imagine how scary those fires must be. My sister & her hubby moved to Montana this past Spring and had fires near enough to them over the summer that they would get a coating of soot over their home. :shock:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Del » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Knew it was here somewhere....

http://www.bushfirecrc.com/fire-locations

Yeah catch-up.. I remember being out west as a child and the roads melting off and into the gutters. I have had the children in temps a few years ago at 45C and we just all sat in the bath all day or under the hose. The girls were under the garden hose at midnight a few times trying to keep them cool.

Morgan and her friends are heading into NSW this week for a camping trip :roll: "But muuuum we will be camping by the beach!" I am being OgreMum blasting her with plans on what to do if they get caught in a grass fire while driving, or safety in the surf (as they are going to a non-patrolled beach!) :evil: As bad as the fires are, the second biggest story here is the number of people being swept up in rips... and even in patrolled "between the flags" beaches as the surf has been huge from a cyclone way way off the coast.
Del

Postby Watchman44 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Hoping that most are just out of communication but, Australia bushfires: Tasmania search for 100 'missing'
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Del » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah, the peninsula has been without electricity for some days now due to the powerlines burning off... so hopefully its just mobile phones run out of charge. There are little flotillas of boats going up and down the coast supplying those who are still there... wouldnt you think if your phone HAD died that you would wave one down and make sure your relatives at least got a message?
Del

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Some stupid b**ch has been charged with setting bushfires. But in Melbourne.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/National-Rural/2013/01/06/Woman_charged_with_setting_bushfire_833210.html

I actually looked up the CSIRO website, as I had read somewhere that a ridiculous amount of bushfires are started deliberately. As it turns out, 13% are confirmed as arson, and a further 37% are suspicious. Up to 50% of all bushfires are caused by arson. That's right. A good chunk of what's happening in Tasmania may have happened because a few ar**holes thought it fun to play with matches. :|
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 pm

When we went to New Zealand there were loads of signs up in the countryside giving the likelihood of fires. We stopped off at one parking area to admire the view, with one other person standing by his car, smoking. When he'd finished, he flicked the cigarette butt into the bushes and drive off. I was speechless! What a moron! So I poured my bottle of water onto the butt & gave it a good stamping on. No fire, luckily :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Del » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 am

Bloody idiot Dots.

They are prosecuting a guy here today that left a campfire burning that sparked one of the big fires in Tasmania. can be fined $100, 000.

Q.. The police have known firebugs under 24 hour surveillance. Most fires in this kind of heat are lightning strikes ... i have seen my fair share of lightning storms out west... massive nasty but not a drop of rain... or as in South Australia a few of the big ones were caused by farm machinery.

I am wondering if Aunty Vague's area is safe. She is placed right in the worst areas of this heatwave and the area of fires.
Del

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 am

Del wrote:Q.. The police have known firebugs under 24 hour surveillance. Most fires in this kind of heat are lightning strikes ... i have seen my fair share of lightning storms out west... massive nasty but not a drop of rain... or as in South Australia a few of the big ones were caused by farm machinery.

Known firebugs. The CSIRO site I saw admitted that most perpetrators of bush arson aren't caught. In fact, less than 1% are caught. So I'm guessing that there are a lot of unknown firebugs.

Sorry, it isn't a CSIRO site, it's a general government website. And according to it, about 6% are natural, and 35% are accidental.

Here's the website, Del.

http://www.bushfirearson.gov.au/about/Pages/default.aspx
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

catastrophic isn't just a word for these fires Bouncy.. Its a Fire Rating. It means you and the fire service will have no chance of fighting the fire and it's force is total destruction in its path... sort of like the worst rating you can give a hurricane or cyclone. .. but I would rather face a cyclone than a fire.
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Just watched an update on the 10 o'clock news some of it looked like a cyclone of fire instead of wind with the wind whipping it up.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Selkie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 am

Also watching the news - that just looks so scary! Hope you are all staying safe.
Selkie

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 am

It's in the news here too. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be near something like that.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 am

Quatermass

Next

Return to The Broken Drum