What do you love MOST about the forum?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What do you love MOST about the forum?

Postby Del » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 pm

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=262155

ChristianBecker wrote:Yeah, but this is not "some sites". This is more like forum heaven.

I totally agree.

I know that sometimes we post threads about thanks to the mods, etc. but what do you love most about being here?

When I was at my worst during the sh*tfest I went through last year I saw a councellor who told me to immediately stop accessing the internet and social chat sites as they could be very abusive and make a bad situation much worse with "trolls" and suchlike anonomously getting their kicks.

Not only did this place keep me sane, I received so much support it was overwhelming. I dont know how I would have survived without this place and everyone here. And not just the support on the threads but private emails and pm's... and letters in the snail mail and postcards and gifts.

I am not talking just for myself either.... more importantly for me, the acts of kindness were directed at my girls who were also going through hell. It showed them that good people existed in the world (on the other side of the world too), people who cared. And while I raved and raved for months from the depths of the big black hole, never once did any of you give up on us or say "Oh for goodness sake ... enough already!"

I told my councellor about here... and you lot. He had never heard of such a thing. My oldest daughter told everyone she knew too and even though she has a supportive community amongst her friends, they were amazed too.... "That sort of thing just doesnt HAPPEN online!" It got to the stage that whenever I got blue-er or down my councellors first question would be... "Have you been on the forum this week? Then go back!" :lol:

I cant thank you enough. If I could reach through my screen and give each and everyone of you a huge hug I would.

And I watch others having woes here and watch the support THEY get. Thats my favourite thing about the forum. :D

That and the fact that you lot take the p*ss and make me laugh... that too. I love the laughter!

And how you are so willing to share your lives... the ups AND the downs.

Oh and the intelligence... nice to have an intelligent conversation.... and even the arguements... um heated debates... and watching the "peacemakers" move in and calm the waters while trying to organise an orderly queue for the soapbox, while an absolute fool will claim his/her rightful place on the podium, make a smart-arse comment and derail the whole thing! :lol: :lol:

Gods you lot are an interesting, humane, compassionate, intelligent, witty, hilarious bunch.

Okay thats about ten things I love about the forum...
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Re: What do you love MOST about the forum?

Postby Cheery » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:22 pm

You know what?
I totally agree with you. What you've just said is wonderful and it's wonderful how much this forum has helped you and your kids. This is the most wonderful place on the internet. I feel the same way. We're all like a big family. I meant what I said in the welcome thread only yesterday. I may have been gone for a long while, but I came back because coming here is like coming home.

And you know what about the hugs?
You can totally hug someone via the net! :D

CYBERGROUPHUG!
:romance-grouphug:
Cheery

Postby Batty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:45 pm

The people here are also informative ...

I would never have known that Aussies have thong throwing contests, if it wasn't for this place.

I also had my suspicions confirmed about how vicious koalas can be ... :whistle: ... AND at how many delightful nutters there are in the world ...

It also put into perspective what woes and worries I have, when I hear the events that some of YOU are forced to endure. Stuff that I don't think that I could survive, but miraculously others do.
If troubles weigh you down like a tonne of cement, then you only need reminding that a flimsy weed can crack through cement as easily as a kind act can heal a hurt.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Batty wrote:If troubles weigh you down like a tonne of cement, then you only need reminding that a flimsy weed can crack through cement as easily as a kind act can heal a hurt.

True Batty. You have been one of those little weeds that became a cheerleader for me....

Cheery wrote:And you know what about the hugs?
You can totally hug someone via the net!

Last edited by Del on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del

Postby Batty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 pm

That's me! A weed - either viewed as a wild flower or an unwanted pain in the arse! :clap: :clap:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Overall friendly place. generally nice, openminded. Not a hateful bunch. certainly can be interesting at times :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:29 pm

I've been here less than a month and so far there hasn't been a pitchfork wielding mob chasing after me
so thats good
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:49 pm

What I like about this site is how easy it is to moderate. It's very rare that any of us moderators have to step in and sort things out, or discipline members. I think it's because people here care about the community we have all created and are determined to keep it a good place to visit.

I've said it before - an online community is only as good as its members, and you lot are the BEST! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:50 pm

It's certainly quieter and less fraught than other BBSes I've been to. And the proportion of good 'uns to troublemakers is better than I usually see. :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby wicked woman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

You nailed it Del.

Feels like a family to me too, we tell jokes and tease each other, but the minute something bad happens people are there with support. Plus we are mad as a box of frogs.... : :dance: :
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Del » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm

I am SO tempted to name them.... :lol: :lol:

Del

Postby jaznbonnie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 am

I may not post every day but I always check in. It is the bright spot of my day. You are absolutely right on the money, Del. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:32 am

I love this forum too, and I always come to visit even when I don't post. It's the first place I visit when I can access the internet.
It's amazing how many people there are here that I care about. There are so many intelligent people here, and loving and funny ones.
I often think there must be somethink special about TP books, that only a certain kind of people can like them...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby wicked woman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 am

@ Del. :lol:

I'm the ballerina on one leg, since I have little rhythm and NO sense of balance. Dotsie's the one with the shopping trolley, practising.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 am

Ghost wrote:I've been here less than a month and so far there hasn't been a pitchfork wielding mob chasing after me
so thats good

The month ain't over yet, kid. :twisted: ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to The Broken Drum