Studio Ghibli Films

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Studio Ghibli Films

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Eh, not quite. It is about WW2 but hiroshima wasn't involved. its based on what the writer went through as a teenage boy when his town was firebombed by the US and him and his little sister were left to fend for themselves (their mom was killed in the bombing and their father was off fighting.)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm

also there’s a live action version that expands on the storyline a bit more Grave of the Fireflies: Live Action Movie but I haven't seen it yet so I don't know what it's like
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm

The only Studio Ghibli film I've ever seen was Arrietty. Very beautiful, but so boring I almost slipped into a coma.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Honestly, grave is a great movie that everyone should see, but I can't say i want to see it again. That's why i've never really been keen on the live-action version.

Catch-up, yeah, some of their films are a slow burn. never been known for their action. not to say they don't have any, but some can take awhile to get going.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Arrietty, had it's UK premier here last week I had not seen that one before but there are some good ones, and some that are quite violent. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 pm

I've only seen it in Japanese with English subs but it's on the very top of my wish list
Ghost

Postby SamHain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 am

Catch-up wrote:The only Studio Ghibli film I've ever seen was Arrietty. Very beautiful, but so boring I almost slipped into a coma.

Unfortunately, this is a common recurrence with Ghibli films. They're all worth seeing once, and they're all beautiful films; yet they all tend to drag on a bit longer than they should.
There is Light, and there is Dark, but who defines what they mean?
The World goes on by Day and Night, yet Truth remains unseen.
SamHain

Location: I am the one hiding under you bed, teeth ground sharp and eyes glowing red...

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Arrietty, had it's UK premier here last week I had not seen that one before but there are some good ones, and some that are quite violent. :mrgreen:

Princess Mononoke *cough*

there's a reason disney released it under their Miramax label rather then the Disney one like the others.

Still a great movie though :D
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 am

SamHain wrote:
Catch-up wrote:The only Studio Ghibli film I've ever seen was Arrietty. Very beautiful, but so boring I almost slipped into a coma.

Unfortunately, this is a common recurrence with Ghibli films. They're all worth seeing once, and they're all beautiful films; yet they all tend to drag on a bit longer than they should.

which is why for pacing I prefer Satoshi Kon's work but sadly he passed away in 2010 and only produced a few films and anime
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:50 pm

SamHain wrote:

Good to know! I was surprised it kept the girls attention, so they must have done something right. Don't think I'm likely to sit through another one though.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm

the one film that keeps both of my nephews attention is
My Neighbour Totoro
Ghost

Re:

Postby high eight » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:14 pm

meerkat wrote:My favourite Ghibli is Spirited Away.

Mine is Porco Rosso http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104652/ - I like that film so much that I am seriously considering booking a cruise around the Adriatic for my holidays.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:53 am

I figured if any of them Kiki's delivery service would be the one most recommended, especially for people who as big of gibli fans.
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Sprited Away on Film Four at 6:30 pm tonight. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Sprited Away on Film Four at 6:30 pm tonight. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!! Thank you!!!!! And there's film 4 +1 so I won't miss the beginning either! Wooooo!
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre