New french illustrator for Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: New french illustrator for Discworld

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:28 pm

It would be far too expensive.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kemar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 pm

For those interested, the making of for the cover art "Strata"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhplARBluk4
kemar

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm

That's really fascinating, Marc. People normally don't give much through to how book covers are created. What software were using to create that, and did you create everything from scratch, or did you start with a scanned sketch? And can I assume that you 'draw' using a stylus-based pad rather than with a mouse?
Last edited by raisindot on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 pm

smart arse ;) brilliant mate :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:32 pm

chris.ph wrote:smart arse ;) brilliant mate :D :D

:?: :?: :?:
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm

You said 'stylus-based pad' :P That or he was talking to kemar.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby michelanCello » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:16 pm

That's amazing! I was wondering about the same thing as raisin, but I don't know any fancy words like that :lol:

Edit: Having watched it till the end, I think I can say that's one of the coolest things I've ever seen :D Just one more question: what was the music?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby raisindot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Dotsie wrote:You said 'stylus-based pad' :P

I think I'm having a warm-weather Detritus moment. "Stylus-based pad' is what we here in the states sometimes call those graphic tablets with an electronic 'pen' that Mac artists use to draw pictures in Illustrator or other programs instead of the more cumbersome process of using a mouse. Wasn't meant to be a joke, I honestly wanted to know what Marc was using to 'draw' the image. If this came off as a "punne" or something else it wasn't intentional, much as I would have liked it to be. :think:
raisindot

Postby kemar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:07 pm

raisindot wrote:That's really fascinating, Marc. People normally don't give much through to how book covers are created. What software were using to create that, and did you create everything from scratch, or did you start with a scanned sketch? And can I assume that you 'draw' using a stylus-based pad rather than with a mouse?

Thanks all!

I don't have a standard method, sometimes I start from a pencil drawing. This time as I was recording my screen I've choose to start directly digitally, with a wacom tablet (a stylus based input device)

The music is "Abandonned" by Andrew Scott Foust
kemar

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:19 pm

ever since you joined the forum ive been amazed at your talent, brilliant matey :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:10 am

raisindot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:You said 'stylus-based pad' :P

I think I'm having a warm-weather Detritus moment. "Stylus-based pad' is what we here in the states sometimes call those graphic tablets with an electronic 'pen' that Mac artists use to draw pictures in Illustrator or other programs instead of the more cumbersome process of using a mouse. Wasn't meant to be a joke, I honestly wanted to know what Marc was using to 'draw' the image. If this came off as a "punne" or something else it wasn't intentional, much as I would have liked it to be. :think:

No, I meant that was why chris might well have been calling you a smart arse - cos he didn't know what 'stylus-based pad' means. In the UK, a smart arse is someone who's clever, rather than someone who's taking the piss. make you feel better? ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 am

did i miss something :?: :?: :?:

ive just looked back and i wasnt being derogatory to you rainsdot i meant it as a compliment to kemar and it was misconstrued
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 pm

:lol: Gotta lurve forums :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Dotsie--Come on, you think after all this time I don't know what a smart-arse is? What do you think I am, an arm-chair anglophile? :D

Chris--Sorry, mate, I thought you were commenting on my comment. Then again, so did Dotsie. :whistle:

Marc--Ignore all of this side patter. Your clip was brilliant! :clap:
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:17 pm

raisindot wrote:Dotsie--Come on, you think after all this time I don't know what a smart-arse is? What do you think I am, an arm-chair anglophile? :D

Alright, clever-clogs :P
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels