What are you looking forward to?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What are you looking forward to?

Postby Batty » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm

To mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, the Royal Mail is to issue a set of 11 stamps featuring the actors who have played the Time Lord, from William Hartnell to Matt Smith.
A five-stamp miniature sheet will also be available, showing the Tardis and some of the Doctor's enemies, including a Dalek and a Cyberman. The stamps will be available on March 26th.

I don't collect stamps, but I can hardly wait to get these!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Re: What are you looking forward to?

Postby Del » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 pm

WOW!

How seriously cool is that?

What am I looking forward to this year? hmmmm

Finding that elusive mystical job that the politicians are always talking about allows me to actually EAT and be at home when H gets home from school. The promotioins job I do (which has always worked so that I can be there for H) isnt going to meet "hours requirements" or cover my rent etc as the new cuts came in today for sole parents. I lose about 1/3 of my income... more when I work (???) Ridiculous huh. I am actually going to have to quit my job to get a job that pays less for more hours to meet government requirements, but since H turned 13 the gov feels she can be left alone now (!!!)

I am sure something will come up...somehow.

Hayden starts High School this year so thats exciting. Morgan finishes High School in March and it will be exciting to see what path she decides to take. I met an interior designer just before Christmas and told her about Morgan giving up her dreams to study that (oh the naysayers in education!) so she is going to talk to Morgan and show her a few things that may change her mind.

And we get to move house! (yay?) I am sure it will all turn out for the best.

I'm looking forward to winning the lottery! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Batty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Can you change your wish to winning the Australian lottery? I'm looking forward to winning the British one!
ImageImage
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Sure thing Batty . You take the UK one and I will take the Aussie one... I'm not greedy.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm looking forward to having our kitchen finished. My sister coming back to visit in the spring. Going to NADWcon in July and seeing all those wonderful people I haven't seen in two years. Looking forward to going out to Montana to visit my sister & b.i.l. in the summer along with a visit to Yellowstone.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:21 pm

the only thing I've got to look forward to is my holiday at this time I don't know where I'm going but it's my first proper going away holiday in about 25 years and dammit it will happen I've already brought nigh on all the stuff for it at last years summer sale
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Catch-up wrote:Looking forward to going out to Montana to visit my sister & b.i.l. in the summer along with a visit to Yellowstone.

Yellowstone!! You go to all the coolest places.... if it weren't for Yellowstone, my career would be very different (some bug was discovered there that changed the nature of molecular biology forever.... it's also got some really cool microbial mats, which is something that first put me on the path to being a geomicrobiologist.... still awake? ;) )

I'm looking foward to finishing our house renovations (or rather, Mr Dotsie finishing them).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby jaznbonnie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Looking forward to finish putting everything to rights in our new apartment and getting to enjoy the pool this summer. Also making plans for a vacation to Hawaii since we have the air miles saved. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Broccolee » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Yellowstone...wow,that is so cool.We love seeing the BBC documentaries about Yellowstone.My son said something about if you want to see Yellowstone you have to do it in the next couple of years because the vulcano is due to erupt and distroy a third of it...or something like that?He's hoping to finish school and Uni before,he wants to be a naturalist and go and see Yellowstone,he wanted to work there at one point,not sure if thats still up to date though.

Del...how about teaching classes?You'd need qualifications...but the hours are good.Can you carry on doing promoting on the side?Yes,the income tax laws aren't very helpful for sole parents here either.Seems the laws get more difficult and alien all the time

One of the reasons I very nearly didn't get maintenance was because the Government also thinks my kids can be left alone...I said what about Emma,she's five.Says the woman behind the desk,what about your son,he's sixteen,he can take care of her.So I say,he's got his Qualifikation for his A-level to do...so she says,well,we all have to sacrifice for the family...!!!!

But I shouldn't moan.I'm good for another four years.Then I'm right there,Del.

I'm looking forward to see my sister this year and maybe take a Trip to the seaside with the kids in summer.
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Batty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Del wrote:Finding that elusive mystical job that the politicians are always talking about allows me to actually EAT and be at home when H gets home from school. The promotioins job I do (which has always worked so that I can be there for H) isnt going to meet "hours requirements" or cover my rent etc as the new cuts came in today for sole parents. I lose about 1/3 of my income... more when I work (???) Ridiculous huh. I am actually going to have to quit my job to get a job that pays less for more hours to meet government requirements, but since H turned 13 the gov feels she can be left alone now (!!!)

I am sure something will come up...somehow.

What would happen if you didn't quit your job, and kept the higher earnings? You could then threaten the officials with going to a news reporter if they insisted you earn less money. :confusion-shrug:
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Still awake Dotsie! I think that stuff is really interesting. :D This will be a first for the girls and I. Derek went when he was little. We're all really excited about it!

Jaz, I'm jealous, I'd love to go back to Hawaii! I was young when my family went. That's a long flight from here though.

Del, Broc, it's awful that they make things so hard for you guys. :evil: You'd think at the very least the people you're face to face with could exercise some common sense. Technically our oldest could stay home alone (not watch a younger sibling though), but she's just not ready for something like that.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

One other thing I'm looking forward to - the veggie garden. :D
Catch-up

Postby RSoak » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:19 pm

NADWCon 2013, my upcoming two business trips to Fargo, ND in the dead of winter, learning to play my new guitar, Super Bowl weekend, & NADWCon 2013.

Hopefully your sarcasm meter pinned when you read the Fargo bit.
It's not who you know, it's who I know. - Dad

The enemy of good is perfect. - Mom
RSoak

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Ooo, Fargo! Looking forward to those stories. :lol: Sorry! Loved hearing about Austria. Hope you get to go or have been somewhere else cool in the meantime.
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Worldcon in San Antonio, mostly ruled out NADWCon 2013 due to airfare costs as I can't fly direct, and if I'm really lucky I would like to move into my own place. :pray: :mrgreen: :lol: I forgot to add World Fantasycon in Brighton.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to The Broken Drum