THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Willem » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:22 am

Quatermass wrote:And I wasn't complaining about Barry Humphries being the Great Goblin. I thought he was absolutely great! I just thought nothing further needed to be said on the subject of his performance. Hell, even his last line when Gandalf guts him is priceless. After all that bluster about how they can't escape, when he gets gutted, he says, casually, "Yep. That'll do it." Black comedy at its finest. :lol:


I was kind of hoping for the Great Goblin mentioning that Gandalf shall not pass :)

I like the Azog stuff in that it explains all the orcses in the book. Instead of 'Gee, aren't there a lot of orcs around?' it's 'Gee, who's sending all these orcs after us?'.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
User avatar
Willem
Member
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Weert, The Netherlands

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby SimonAtford » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 am

Off to see it again today. Will post some observations when I get back :dance:
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
User avatar
SimonAtford
Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Darkest Wiltshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby SimonAtford » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Very much work in progress but I think I might have the beginnings of "The Hobbit Movie Drinking Game"

Rule 1: Take a drink every time somebody falls off a cliff or otherwise drops from a great height.

Rule 2: Take another drink if they survive unscathed.

Rule 3: Take a drink every time Thorin tells Bilbo he shouldn't have come.

Rule 4: Take a drink every time Bilbo agrees with Thorin that he shouldn't have come.

Rule 5: Take a drink every time Gandalf turns up apparently out of nowhere to save the Dwarves and Bilbo for almost certain destruction.

That's all I've got so far but I'm sure they'll loads more from the second and third films as well.
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
User avatar
SimonAtford
Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Darkest Wiltshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Quatermass » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 pm

SimonAtford wrote:Very much work in progress but I think I might have the beginnings of "The Hobbit Movie Drinking Game"

Rule 1: Take a drink every time somebody falls off a cliff or otherwise drops from a great height.

Rule 2: Take another drink if they survive unscathed.

Rule 3: Take a drink every time Thorin tells Bilbo he shouldn't have come.

Rule 4: Take a drink every time Bilbo agrees with Thorin that he shouldn't have come.

Rule 5: Take a drink every time Gandalf turns up apparently out of nowhere to save the Dwarves and Bilbo for almost certain destruction.

That's all I've got so far but I'm sure they'll loads more from the second and third films as well.


Sounds like a surefire way to die from alcohol poisoning... :think:

You should post it on TV Tropes. Seriously, they do that sort of thing.

Indeed, they have one for The Lord of the Rings. To whit:

Drinking game for the Peter Jackson version of The Lord of the Rings. Beware of extended film marathons!

•Take a drink when Frodo says 'Sam'.
•Take a drink when Sam says 'Mr Frodo'.
•Take a drink whenever anybody mentions the One Ring.
(If you have a death wish, take a drink every time there's a close-up of the ring.)
•Take a drink whenever you see somebody's filthy, chewed finger nails (unless they're yours).
•Take a drink whenever a bad guy dies (good god).
•Take a drink whenever Gollum says 'my precious'.
•Take a drink every time somebody pulls out a sword.
•Take a drink every time you talk along with the dialogue.
•Take a drink any time Gollum hacks 'Gollum! Gollum!'
•Every time Elrond appears on screen say: 'Miiiiiiissster Baggins'.
•Take a drink every time Legolas says something vague and portentous.
(Take a drink every time Legolas makes a Captain Obvious remark.)
•Take a drink each time Legolas' eyes change colors.
•Take a (small) sip every time Frodo's stressed-out, ring-possessed face looks like... something else. [These last two words are linked to a TV Tropes page called 'The Immodest Orgasm']
•If you feel like living dangerously, take a drink whenever a character says a line that was at worst unremarkable when the films came out, but has become Narm due to Memetic Mutation. WARNING: TV Tropes cannot be held responsible for any alcohol poisoning anyone got if they took this challenge. You have been warned


BTW, in case you don't know, Narm is an overly hammy performance in an otherwise serious moment of fiction. That's what I get the impression, anyway.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby SimonAtford » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Quatermass;

I love TV Tropes even though I don't always know what they are on about ;) Unlike sites such as IMDB and Cracked it never descends into name calling and general rudeness.

I've often wondered whether anyone actually plays any of the various drinking games attached to films and TV dramas. If I tried the LotR one you posted above I'd be bee unconscious the film was half over. Imagine doing it with the special edition of Return of the King :roll: To me they are more like a way of affectionately sending something up.
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
User avatar
SimonAtford
Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Darkest Wiltshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 pm

SimonAtford wrote:I've often wondered whether anyone actually plays any of the various drinking games attached to films and TV dramas. If I tried the LotR one you posted above I'd be bee unconscious the film was half over. Imagine doing it with the special edition of Return of the King :roll: To me they are more like a way of affectionately sending something up.


Yeah. Or maybe you can pick and choose the drinking rules.

There's even one for Doctor Who.

Here are the general rules. There are custom rules for each Doctor...

General:

•Take a shot every time somebody runs.
•A shot for whenever he uses the psychic paper or sonic screwdriver.
◦Two shots if the sonic screwdriver is used to do something that's realistically impossible to do with sound waves.
•Take a shot every time someone dies. Say goodbye to brain cells.
◦Take a shot each time someone says "what are you doing here?" or "I'm the Doctor."
•Take a shot everytime you see an alien. ...not counting the Doctor.
•Take a shot when the TARDIS materializes/dematerializes.
◦In the wrong place.
•Take a drink any time something is "impossible" or "can't be", etc.
◦Take two drinks for every one of these during the episode Midnight.
■If watching Midnight after midnight, take four.
•Take a shot every time somebody makes a Badass Boast.
•Take a shot when a Dalek appears.
◦Alternatively, take a shot anytime you hear the word "EXTERMINATE!"
•Take a drink any time you hear Arc Words.
•Finish your drink anytime the Doctor picks up a gun.
•When watching a Gallifrey-based story, drink every time someone says the name "Rassilon."
•Take a shot whenever anyone says "I'll explain later."
•Take a shot every time someone lampshades the Tardis being bigger on the inside than the outside.
•Take a shot when somebody shouts "Doctor!"
•Take a drink any time there is a Title Drop.
◦Take two if they say (or imply or subvert) the question "Doctor Who?"
◦Make sure you have your designated driver nearby when doing this to Asylum of the Daleks.
•Take a shot for each reference to the work of a famous author or artist in an episode where they appear on the show.


:lol:

Okay, off-topic stuff over.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby SimonAtford » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Okay, off-topic stuff over.


Okey dokey. I thought the songs were very well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 78TmJJ4gZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QibzE9I6pU
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
User avatar
SimonAtford
Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Darkest Wiltshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby meerkat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Off to see it AGAIN tomorrow!
Loved it! Richard A is stupendously yummy as Thorin Oakenshield? Cor! Pause for a lie down and a cooling drink! That's better!
Thought it was a clever ending too! The "oh-oh" from the audience watching the film with us was a hint that there are dedicated Hobbiters out there ready to be critical and as there was applause at the end I gathered a full cinema was more than happy!

Best bits: the smouldering look as Thorin goes to battle the Orc pratt on the white Warg.
the outfit Thorin was wearing in the forst shots of the dwarfs
Radaghasat leading the wargs to where the Party were trying to run to..

oooh, and tons more things.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13475
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm still in two minds about the rabbits, to be honest. I wonder if Peter Jackson might have been better off using wolves on the basis that real world wolves are rather noble animals (in my opinion) and would have been a great contrast against the evil wargs. That said, I expect that there is some lore that says Middle Earth wolves are nasty, evil beasties. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 pm

It's been so long since I've read the book that I barely remember what's in it. I think it worked out best that way. I just sat back and enjoyed what the movie had to offer. Really loved it and looking forward to the next. Meerkat, have to agree with you, the guy playing Thorin was handsome!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6767
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby SimonAtford » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Penfold wrote:I'm still in two minds about the rabbits, to be honest. I wonder if Peter Jackson might have been better off using wolves on the basis that real world wolves are rather noble animals (in my opinion) and would have been a great contrast against the evil wargs. That said, I expect that there is some lore that says Middle Earth wolves are nasty, evil beasties. :lol:


I liked the rabbits versus wargs bit. The contrast so utterly preposterous that you knew Radaghast was going to pull it off.
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
User avatar
SimonAtford
Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Darkest Wiltshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 am

For someone who is basically a hippy wizard who is more than a bit on the absent-minded side, I'd say that giant rabbits are actually a wonderful choice as Radagast's steeds. Plus, it's so damned funny and awesome at the same time! :lol:

Is it me, or is Sylvester McCoy really good at gurning? :think:
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby kizkiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Quatermass wrote:•Take a drink whenever a bad guy dies (good god).


The battle of helms deep could get messy
"I need another thousand shots asap!" :lol:
kizkiz
New member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby SimonAtford » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:56 am

SimonAtford wrote:
Penfold wrote:I'm still in two minds about the rabbits, to be honest. I wonder if Peter Jackson might have been better off using wolves on the basis that real world wolves are rather noble animals (in my opinion) and would have been a great contrast against the evil wargs. That said, I expect that there is some lore that says Middle Earth wolves are nasty, evil beasties. :lol:


I liked the rabbits versus wargs bit. The contrast so utterly preposterous that you knew Radaghast was going to pull it off.


Quatermass wrote:For someone who is basically a hippy wizard who is more than a bit on the absent-minded side, I'd say that giant rabbits are actually a wonderful choice as Radagast's steeds. Plus, it's so damned funny and awesome at the same time! :lol:

Is it me, or is Sylvester McCoy really good at gurning? :think:


Okay so I'm in the process of re-reading the book and Tolkien seems to use wolf and warg as an interchangeable term. All of the animals in the The Hobbit, whether good, evil or undecided, seem to be intelligent and possess their own society. Wargs could be said said to be a greater breed of wolf in the same way that orcs are greater breed of goblin.

Don't know about Sylvester's McCoy's gurning. Don't recall him doing that much as the 7th Doctor.
Keep calm and prepare to hack!

http://www.yecompaynyeofcheualrye.com/cc/

Stop...

Carry on!
User avatar
SimonAtford
Member
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 pm
Location: Darkest Wiltshire

Re: THE HOBBIT ~ Discuss and Spoil!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm

He was still practicing then. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14735
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests