The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Doing the last trawl on the spell check today (because there's lots of obscure African names in there it's gone a bit mad when I re-formatted!) so it may even go off before midnight :roll: ;)

Am treating the synopsis as a 5-part drabble... :shifty: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Doing the last trawl on the spell check today (because there's lots of obscure African names in there it's gone a bit mad when I re-formatted!) so it may even go off before midnight :roll: ;)

Am treating the synopsis as a 5-part drabble... :shifty: :lol:

I don't use spellcheck. I try to do that manually as I go. But I sympathise. When I wrote my science fiction works, it got annoyed when I used all these science-fictiony names. :roll: And some words it doesn't recognise, like...Destrudo, ain't, theropod, rictus...and that's from just one novel (not the one from the TP Prize, but another I am currently working on). And yes, Destrudo is a word. It's the opposite of libido. Look it up. I'm surprised it doesn't recognise rictus. :roll:

And summing up the whole novel in a word limit is tricky. I just tried to be as laconic as possible. I think I got the important points across.

I hope everything goes well, JVQ. But you'd better hurry. It's the 27th here by my reckoning, and I'd hate for you not to be able to compete. :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Spell and grammar finalised - will go off tomorrow morning after I tidy up the synopsis. :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:08 am

Here's hoping... :pray:

So, yeah. I'm currently writing about three books at the moment. :think:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 pm

It's gone :shifty:

Relief to get it done finally (for now anyway) :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It's gone :shifty:

Relief to get it done finally (for now anyway) :D

I agree. :)

Let us party hearty. :dance:

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby DrJezz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi, I've been visiting a few years, but never joined before, so Hi all. It's simple anxiety that's prompted this post, because I, too, have just sent off my submission (I originally thought I'd have it done in time for the last competition that I found on here!), and despite that fact that I'm pretty sure that there's no automatic acknowledgement, I just wanted to check with you guys. Guess what - I've already noticed that the CC'd version has a typo in the title! :shock: After all this time and forensic, obsessive checking, as I finally renamed a final version specifically for this award, I went and missed the last part of the title off. Well, shouldn't be an issue since it's on every page :ugeek: So - did anyone get a response, or should I just learn to relax after all this blood sweat and tears? Cheers all and good luck :D
DrJezz

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:53 pm

I haven't had any reply for my submission automated or otherwise for what it's worth. :shifty:

Q may have had - if so, I'm putting down the lack of response as Xmas lag and Transworld forgetting to set up 'out of office' responses for their email while they were out literary partying for the past several festive days... :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 pm

No such luck, I'm afraid.

But then again, given that, what, 500 entries? I think 500 entries were done last time. That might scupper manual replies. And I have gotten a manual reply from that address earlier this year when asking about clarifications to the rules.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby DrJezz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 am

Thank you guys ... if I'm not alone I'm comforted that the clacks has not been disrupted by Igors'shhh - :D Best of luck to us all :D
DrJezz

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 am

All the best, DrJezz! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:29 am

Holding my thumbs for you guys. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby DrJezz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks guys :D
DrJezz

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:52 am

Hi DrJezz :greetings-waveyellow: Can't believe you've been around for years but only just joined! What was putting you off? Good luck with your story :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby DrJezz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Hey Dotsie, been a fan since mort was published and met Terry a couple of times when only 20 or 30 people would turn up to his readings in the late 80's - I've been in here to lurk, but it's so easy to become attached to forums that I deliberately didn't register! As a musician and petrolhead, I spend too much time popping into various sites as it is. :naughty: Thanks for the warm welcome :)
DrJezz

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett