Studio Ghibli Films

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:33 pm

I love Ghibli films, but because Ponyo is marketed as a little kids films, it's only been on at midday round here :( damn you school! Making me work :x Howl's Moving Castle is good, but I don't think it's his best, I would wholly recommend Nausicaa (even if the sub sucks :( they fiddled the storyline to make it more "mainstream")
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby meerkat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:54 pm

My favourite Ghibli is Spirited Away.

It just makes me feel good when I watch it, usually with the English subtitles on and Japanese voiced.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 pm

I loved 'My Neighbour Totoro' :D He looked like a giant bunny and the bus was cool :wink: I watched it in Japanese with subs.I don't know if the english has the same story.
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Zephyr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Funnily enough, one of my favorites is Porco Rosso, which is not one of Miyazaki's more popular films. It's happy and uplifting all through, an easy movie to watch. Even the heavy parts are amusing. The Cat Returns is another one, very humorous - quite a bit on the silly side, but excellent eye candy.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 pm

I liked the Howl movie a lot, but didn't know it came from a book :roll:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:41 pm

check out the offical ghibli site got some cracking info on there, im a huge fan too so going there was an excellent idea i found stuff i never knew about and now got copies of all the films, just a shame some are in japanese and i only know a few words so cant really follow them lol
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Fizz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Wow, you just reminded me that Ponyo is out on DVD as well as a re-release of all of his other works. Luckily I already have those and as tempting as buying the reissues would be, too much money.

My favorite though still has to be My Neighbor Totoro
"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffet -

www.whitesnails.com
Fizz

Postby Marco » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I have read the book, it's Harry Potter-ish. And the follow up, which wasn't so good.

Studio Ghibli museum is maybe a 90 minute train journey from me, but I've never been. :(

I have been, you are missing out if you don't. It is awesome to say the least.

I have seen:
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
<---And of course Totoro
[Insert witty signature here]
Marco

Re: Studio Ghibli Films

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:10 pm

I was digging about reading some of the older threads on here and I saw this one and was reminded
of something I read last week and thought I'd share
Studio Ghibli Announces 2 New Movies For 2013
the one which interests me the most is the The Story of Princess Kaguya "The tale of the bamboo cutter"
which has a very different feel from most of the ghibli films

But I'd love to see Kaze Tachinu "The wind has risen"
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:21 pm

Good I like the Ghibli films, thanks for the heads up Ghost. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:59 pm

I just wish that Ghibli would realise more of their back catalogue I've been dying to see some their short films but either they haven't been subbed or there aren’t any available links on-line http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Main_Page
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:02 pm

I've seen quite a lot of those, I regret missing out on a ticket for a tour of the studio's when I was at a Worldcon there as it had to be prebooked before the con.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for the info,Ghost.Looking forward to it. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Whisper of the heart is another low-key Ghibli film. very down to earth. Not a fantasy or action type film. worth a look if you like ghibli. Worth noting too, that The Cat Returns is based on a dream sequence in Whisper (and the only non-reality based part of the movie.)

Another one, if you can find it, is Grave Of The Fireflies. based on a true story and very, very sad. but also very good. it was originally released many many years ago by Central Park Media which is now defunct. dunno who has it now, but may be able to find it. The dubbing (though there isn't that much dialogue in the film) was done with New York VAs not the Los Angeles ones disney uses, but is very different from their usual stuff (like Pokemon, slayers, YuGiOh etc) very well done.

(actually, looking on youtube, if you search for grave, the first result is the full movie. not dvd quality, but serviceable)

My all time favorite though is still Kiki's delivery service. :D
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Grave, is about the bombing of Hiroshima in the 2nd World War, I also like the Castle of Cagliostro and Howls Moving castle,Tales from Earthsea plus a few others. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre