27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: 27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Del wrote:Loopy ? Loopy ???????

Who you calling Loopy???????

This from the woman with a Koala hanging off her tit! :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Simmonds - regarding the US joining the war. Have you heard of the Lend-Lease programme that supplied the Allies with equipment to fight the war in Europe? This was some time before the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Having been to America many time, married an American and met lots and lots of Americans, I can assure you that the majority of them are NOT crazies.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Ah I heard about that, I suppose I was wrong then, I still think it's a bit much to say americans won the war for europe because they gave weapons but maybe it's true? Or maybe I'm just saying this now because I want to deny it because of my own insecurities, america wining the war? I don't like that thought. I'm happy you think the americans you have met (which i'm sure are many) are decent folk tony, I'm sure your word is reliable but come out as a muslim or some other religion, or gay or pro something or other over there and tell me the same thing. Being nice is easy, being nice and hiding nasty is just as easy.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 pm

simmonds91 wrote:Sure thing, I understand your feelings are hurt because my opinions are based on seeing american douchebags and not many decent americans (compared) and I understand that SAYING most americans are douchebags when it comes to them respecting their fellow man etc. would hurt you, I mean your country is all about patriotism right? Not to say it's JUST americans I hate on, still, sorry for upsetting you, not sorry for having these opinions however, I mean that would be like being sorry I believe in jesus (which I don't but thats by the by).

Awww, honey! You just gave me the warm fuzzies. :D Well apology accepted! Just want you to understand that I only think you are a douchebag. Doesn't matter what country you're from, or what religion you do or don't adhere to. Nope, just based on your posts alone. You did it all by your lonesome and you should be proud of that. :clap: Now come on, let's have a BIG HUG and make up! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Jack Remillard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Something I have said a number of times to different people is that generalizing about groups of people, while a part of human nature, is never fair or helpful and you should fight against it within yourself if you spot yourself doing it.

I realise that based on my recent performance this is pretty much a case of 'doing what I say rather than doing what I do'. Drat.
Jack Remillard

Postby raisindot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

simmonds91 wrote:Ah I heard about that, I suppose I was wrong then, I still think it's a bit much to say americans won the war for europe because they gave weapons but maybe it's true? Or maybe I'm just saying this now because I want to deny it because of my own insecurities, america wining the war? I don't like that thought. I'm happy you think the americans you have met (which i'm sure are many) are decent folk tony, I'm sure your word is reliable but come out as a muslim or some other religion, or gay or pro something or other over there and tell me the same thing. Being nice is easy, being nice and hiding nasty is just as easy.

You're right. America didn't win the war in Europe alone--the allies did, yet had the Americans not intervened in either WWI or WWII you might very well be speaking German today and everyone in Europe who practiced my faith would be dead. Sorry you don't like this cold, hard reality, but there it is. And, as much as you'd like to believe that Muslims, gays, Sikhs, Buddhists or Jews are routinely gunned down every day by crazies I hate to disappoint you, but it just isn't true. There's a whole lot of murder that goes on in the U.S., and like everywhere else in the world 99% of these murders are committed by people who kill people they know, usually as the result of the domestic or drug-related or gang-related violence. For every crackpot politician who makes racist, anti-semitic, anti-muslim and homophobic comments there are nearly an equal number of politicians who condemn these fools. We're the only nation with a predominantly (but rapidly shrinking) white majority that has elected an African American as president--and then re-elected him during one of the worst economic periods in our history--something that white presidents in similar situations were never able to achieve.
In your own way, your unsubstantiated, paranoid anti-American attitude is every bit as unbecoming as the so-called crazies you're railing against.
raisindot

Postby Batty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Each to their own ...

Personally, I like Americans. They have produced some of the best comedies and television programmes going.
Steven Bochco is a genius, for one.

One of their greatest comedians is Donald Trump! He always makes me giggle!! :whistle: :flags-usa:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm

simmonds, you're a fool. The USA are our staunchest allies and have been for over a hundred years. They're not perfect. Neither are we. Or anybody.

Small point on WW2 (I know, 70 years ago and it's still a hot, or at least tepid topic) Thank for your help America, greatly appreciated - it shortened the war and saved countless British lives. But I reckon we would have won without you. Maybe not without lend-lease, but we'd turned the tide.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Simmonds - regarding the US joining the war. Have you heard of the Lend-Lease programme that supplied the Allies with equipment to fight the war in Europe? This was some time before the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Having been to America many time, married an American and met lots and lots of Americans, I can assure you that the majority of them are NOT crazies.

Maybe not, but the crazies are vocal, Tony. And they have guns.

Plus, you have American Exceptionalism. Or, in plain language and to take a leaf from Matt Parker and Trey Stone, the America, [EFF!] Yeah! attitude.

It's far from black and white. And to be frank, it's not all of America that has the crazies, it's all of [EFF!]ing humanity! It just comes out in different ways in different cultures. I'm an Anglophile because they celebrate their craziness and eccentricity in a way that's enjoyable. Where else could you have gotten a TV show about a half-mad immortal alien roaming through time and space in a time machine that looks like something most people would have forgotten about by now? Seriously, if it weren't for Doctor Who, who'd remember the police box?

Anyway, we've drifted away from the topic at hand. 27 people were murdered. Too many were children.

Various cases in point to discuss:

*According to Wikipedia, the shooter's mother (and one of his victims) was a noted gun enthusiast, and, it seemed, a survivalist who was turning her home into a fortress in case of some apocalyptic event (more to do with the economy going kaput than the Mayan apocalypse).

*As above, the shooter also tried to buy a rifle about two days before the massacre, but refused to have a background check or waiting period.

*The parents divorced three years previously.

*The shooter wasn't taking any prescription meds. While he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, it has been pointed out by experts (and as an Aspie myself, I feel I need to reiterate) that this does not predispose you to violence.

*The NRA is planning to hold a press conference on Friday the 21st of December. Something tells me that there may be a repeat, albiet subtly, of Charlton Heston saying "From my cold dead hands."
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Conforumist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:54 am

I often find it interesting that Canadians are generally loved and Americans are generally disliked; and the only thing dividing us is an invisible line. :?

I would love to see tougher gun control laws in the US, but I think the people there love them too much. I'm sure a lot of people would get shot if they took serious steps in that direction. But the sad truth is, guns are obtainable. We have shootings here all the time. I'm sure that almost all the guns come from the black market. Strangely though, the shootings are virtually never fatal.

A school which has been close for a couple of years is set to open in a day or so. People have been working 'round the clock to get it set up for classes. It is estimated that Sandy Hook Elementary School will be closed for months.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 am

Con. I read somewhere that it will never re-open as a school.

True or not, I have no idea.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Conforumist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:22 am

Yes, I heard that as well. On the weekend I think. Perhaps they mean to open it as something else?
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 am

Perhaps.

My thinking is, that if they don't re-open as a school, knock the whole lot down, and turn it into a memorial park. Somewhere peaceful and calm that people can visit and be with their thoughts, or walk the dog.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 am

They should reopen it. A school is a necessary instution, is it not? All that is needed is time for the wounds to heal. Or at least scab over.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 am

True, Q. But I can't see any of the surviving kids wanting to go anywhere near it. Or their parents wanting to take them back there, for that matter.

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum