You Say Tomato

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 pm

I recently discovered a difference between the British version of Thief of Time and the American version. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 pm

I recently discovered a difference between the UK proof of Thief of Time and the published version. :wink:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 am

I don't suppose either of you will be more explicit at this time?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 am

Sorry - I was trying to build the excitement. :wink:

In the bit where the monk who was in charge of operating the procrastinators and got killed, he talks to Death. Death apologises for being late and Shoblang says something like: "I'm sorry for being late too - Boom, boom!"

In the US version the 'boom, boom' translates to 'badda boom'.

Of course every Brit who has ever watched Basil Brush will know what 'boom, boom' means, but it doesn't seem to translate to US English. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:06 am

Tonyblack wrote:Sorry - I was trying to build the excitement. :wink:

No need to apologise, I should have used more smilies :D

Thanks for expanding :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am

It's funny the things (like boom, boom) that we take for granted in Britain, only to find that other Englkish speaking countries haven't got a clue what we are on about. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:19 pm

The UK proof's title is "The Thief of Time"
poohcarrot

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Tony don't get me started on what things mean here and in America ... :x ! It's time they got less shirty! I loved the OLD Basil Brush ... they should not have tried to modernise him.

The Theif of Time ... kind of loses its emphatic title by putting The in front of it. Mind you naming a book can be the hardest thing to do. Actually when the first word is The - I tend to ignore the The completely.

I read this a few months ago - may have to re-read it - not sure I can do it in the time frame as other things are occupying my time at the moment.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Tony don't get me started on what things mean here and in America ... :x ! It's time they got less shirty! I loved the OLD Basil Brush ... they should not have tried to modernise him.

It's not a case of trying to modernise him - it's a case that 'boom, boom' has no meaning in the US, whereas 'badda boom' does. It's right to make changes when you have a situation like that. I wasn't saying the change was negative, it's just something that made me think about the divergence of cultures. :wink:

I suspect the 'boom, boom' goes back to British music hall when some one actually hit a drum when an awful joke was made. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:45 pm

As far as I can tell boom boom in the US is another way of saying having sex :oops: ... from what I can understand from Friends and other shows I've watched which is why they don't get Boom Boom as an innocent phrase.

Lady Vetinari

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

I always thought "Boom boom" was for stupid people who didn't get the joke. Like canned laughter.

I used to love the TV series MASH. In England there never used to be canned laughter. I saw it when I was in the US and there was canned laughter. It completely destroyed the whole show for me. Also because of the commercials in the US, you never knew when a show has finished.

Like nowadays to make sure you get a joke some people write "Did you see what I wrote?" That bugs me. :twisted:
poohcarrot

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Tony don't get me started on what things mean here and in America ... :x ! It's time they got less shirty! I loved the OLD Basil Brush ... they should not have tried to modernise him.

"Badda boom" is from the 30's or 40's here, something hokey you say after a joke. I've never heard of Basil Brush so I'm guessing he's been kept intact and has nothing to do with "badda boom." :wink: No intention of being shirty here of course! :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Oh just ignore me ... I get annoyed sometimes when having a discussion with Americans and having to explain certain difference of word meanings due to different cultures. Sir Alan Sugar agrees with me ... he gets annoyed when Americans say: "Speak English!" He's like ... "I AM English you bloody idiot!"

Basil Brush is a puppet fox from the seventies... written out of childrens bbc for a long time then in the early noughties decided to get him out of his box - he is mostly known for saying emphatically, BOOM BOOM! After a bad joke.

Lady Vetinari

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:50 pm

I would never ignore you! :D I can fully sympathise with the frustrations of communications breaking down between two people speaking the same language. Saying something like "speak English" to anyone from an English speaking country is just ignorant. :roll: I really enjoy learning the differences between the two and it's been one of the most enriching parts of being on a TP forum. I've definitely gotten so much more out of the DW books being on this and another TP forum! You really have to think of them as two different dialects - getting frustrated isn't very productive in that case. :wink: My youngest was recently facsinated to find out that cookies are called biscuits over there. She said, "Well, what do they call biscuits then?" :lol: Which, after some discussion on the other forum, I've come to realize that there isn't an equivalent over there to what we call biscuits here. All of which I think is great fun! :D
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 pm

That's the main reason I mentioned it in the first place, because I'm fascinated by the differences as well. When Sharlene and I are talking we'll often hit a cultural difference that's interesting or even amusing. :)
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum