27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: 27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

Postby chris.ph » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:40 am

this is a terrible thing to happen.

ive said this before its not guns that kill people, people kill people, proper phyc screening should be done on people before they are allowed to own a weapon of any kind, i dont know why this always recently seems to happen in the states, you just dont hear of this sort of this thing happening in israel or switzerland which both have an enormous amount of private gun ownership
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Selkie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

I just don't have the words to express how horrified and saddened I am about this event. I really feel for the families of the victims, and all the children who went through this terrifying ordeal. It's just so shocking. I somehow doubt that anything will be done about gun control still - although I wish something would be.
Selkie

Postby Catch-up » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Absolutely heartbreaking. :cry:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm

And at this time of year, when all the Christmas presents have been bought for the kids. :(
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Broccolee » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Oh thepoor,poor mothers.How very very sad and terrible.It's horrible and frightening to realize how vulnerable our 'safety' and that of our children is ,the next nutter to come does the same and then Its too late.

I agree,America needs stricter laws but it doesnt necessarily have something to do with freedom to access weapons.Here in Germany we have very strict rules and laws respecting the possesion of weapons and we have had gun raids in schools just like that as well.
It's rather been like 'if they want to get a gun they do'.
Here they blamed the ego shooter games but although I despise these games and Absolutely banned them in our family I don't really think it's that easy.

I think it has more to do with the way people are pressured in different ways today,the way people are treated generally,the way our pace of life has changed and with it a difference in respect towards life and each other.No matter how ill that man was,if he had been living in a happy,caring family,no matter the income,I am certain he would not have done it,because a happy,secure and contented individual with respect towards others would never act that way.

I think it is essential that children know about things like this,not only to talk aboit what to do when in such a situation themselves,but also to become aware of others more.If we would all care more for others,like those lovely teachers did,then we might be able to stop things before they happen,not deplore them when its too late.
I think so,anyway.
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Breaking News from BBC :

Church in Connecticut town of Newtown evacuated over unspecified threat

Just a headline at the moment. No actual report as yet.

Also just read that they probably won't open the school as a school ever again.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am

A real shame for children that young to die like that, such a shame :( but I do wonder how an autistic child had the weapon to begin with. What I mean is, surely the mother would have made sure guns and whatnot are stored properly out of the way of children? Thus I blame this incident on the mother (who the hell buys a gun in the first place!?) though I suspect the child was bullied, I mean the kid was autistic, children are mean little so and so's when it comes to other children that have problems, social and physical etc. (you know how children are) I am really worried about america though, these incidents keep happening more frequently and I don't just mean school shootings, remember the shooting of those sihks a while back?
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 am

He wasn't a kid! He was 20!
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:39 am

REALLY! ....what the hell is a 20 year old doing at a school!?...
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Del » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:41 am

One of the children recounted today how after their teacher locked them in a closet they heard him repeatedly knocking and saying "Open up. Let me in" then he went to the next room.. Strange.. after he had shot his way in in the first place.

I don't think there IS any understanding this.

On another note.. America has had one of the highest ever day for sales of guns... how can a nation live like this. Heartbreaking

Simmons... he used to go there... he shot his way in.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am

simmonds91 wrote:REALLY! ....what the hell is a 20 year old doing at a school!?...

Shooting everyone he could, in his case.

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 am

I suppose those knife and gun checks and whatnot are only done in highschools then? or has that stopped now? Only it's a very good idea considering the danger school children are in these days, there is list of school shootings after all, a LIST... that's not right...
simmonds91

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

Del wrote:On another note.. America has had one of the highest ever day for sales of guns... how can a nation live like this. Heartbreaking.

No. Insane. The gun hobbyists are making sure they have a good supply of guns before Barack Obama cracks down on them.

...In theory, at least. Quite frankly, I doubt Obama is going to make a dent in the gun laws. Too many vested interests back the gun lobby. And if he pushes the issue, I'll bet any money that one gun-toting nutter or another will take a pot shot at him. Presidential assassination seems to be an American past-time. Four were successfully killed, and the list of other attempts are as long as my arm. Any madman with a grudge and a gun can take a life. Or several.

I don't think even Barack Obama, as promising a president as he is, can make any headway against the NRA and associated nutters, not without major consequences. I wish he could, don't get me wrong. I wish he could. But any attempt on curbing gun rights is seen always as a threat towards freedom by people like these.

Guns don't kill people. But they make killing far too easy. After all, what other tool has so singular a purpose as a gun?

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Jack Remillard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

simmonds91 wrote:I suppose those knife and gun checks and whatnot are only done in highschools then? or has that stopped now? Only it's a very good idea considering the danger school children are in these days, there is list of school shootings after all, a LIST... that's not right...

The story of how it happened was a bit muddled at first, but the BBC news website currently says that he 'shot his way in' contrary to earlier reports that he was let in.
Jack Remillard

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 am

I haven't read enough of the story it would seem, i'll say no more on the matter.
simmonds91

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum