No
12%
Curious
4%

Total votes : 49

Re: The Hobbit is finally greenlit!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Chew on a little bit of ginger root. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:What I'm keen to see is what part Barry Humphries will be taking! As usual there's not a lot of girlie roles in there so perhaps it'll be a rare straight role out of drag :lol:

Looked it up - glad I did as he'll be CGI'd to the nines :lol: He's playing the Great Goblin whose legions of darkness capture the Dwarves and Bilbo and take them under the Misty Mountains :twisted: I think he'll handle it brilliantly by channeling some of the more objectionable facets of his Les Patterson persona - particularly the drooling :lol:

Seeing it on Saturday in 2D as my local cinema only holds 150 people and I think the 3D might be a wee bit overwhelming in a confined space... :shifty: Will probably go to Plymouth (MyVue) to see it in 3D in a proper multiplex, but it's really confusing programming there as there are no less than 3 types of 3D screening there! :shock:

Standard 'Incredible' 3D - £9.90 matinees & £11.25 evening
'Xtreme' 3D - £11.40 matinees & $12.40
3D HFR (high frame rate) £9.90 matinees & £11.25 evening

Looks like they're taking note of the 'sick' factor for the HFR version and reflecting it in the price... :snooty: The reviews already up for it are really scathing for doing so many screens in 3D - can't say I blame people as the markup's pretty high. Just as well we don't have IMAX this far west - they probably charge even more for that! :shock:

2D in Plymouth is £7.65 & £9 - in Bude it's £6 for 2D and £7 for 3D :P - and they never run out of popcorn :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Just waiting for the film to start, and the people are starting to fill the place up
:D :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby konnichiwa » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:16 pm

I saw it in the premiere on Wednesday night at 00:12, it was awesome ^^

Few parts I didn't like and few parts were awesome, Gollum was cute and Bilbo was funny, Gandalf was awesome and Elrond was sexy like always <3

Not going to say anything else so that I won't ruin the movie for anyone ^^ Just going to say that read the book before watching the movie! ><
konnichiwa

Postby Selkie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Going to see this as a family on the 19th. Can't wait!

Have fun, WWD!
Selkie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:21 pm

I would not say Gollum was cute, much the same character he was in LOTR, Kate Blanchett as Galadriel was looking as ethereally beautiful as usual, Martin Freeman I thought was good as the young Bilbo, Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield was good, well!and Ian McKellen need I say more, I also thought Christopher Lee was not as menacing in the film yet!! but an underlying unease seemed....., and Barry Humphries was really good as the Goblin King I would not have known it was him.

DISAPPOINTED I CERTAINLY WAS NOT, definitely for me he has done it justice. :clap: :clap: :D :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby BobtheDrog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:32 pm

couldn't agree more, Gollum was a little cute when smeagol came through.
Spoiler: show
the necromancer was a bit shoddy looking would be my only complaint
BobtheDrog

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 pm

I was watching the review on Film 2012 and the guy on there was complaining about it being so slow and it taken forever for anything to happen. My thought was: just like a Tolkien book then. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BobtheDrog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I didn't find it long at all to be honest, was a bit surprised when it finished
BobtheDrog

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 pm

He must have been a paid critic then not worth listening to. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I was watching the review on Film 2012 and the guy on there was complaining about it being so slow and it taken forever for anything to happen. My thought was: just like a Tolkien book then. :lol:

GO. AND. SEE. IT. :lol:

It's 169 mins long - it honestly felt more like 120. The beginning was a bit draggy if you know the story but funny if you don't.

I'm v. glad we didn't go for the 3D in this little cinema - we were in row 3 and there were lots of dizzy moments even in 2D so in super-duper HFR I can imagine that it might be a little sick-making even for roller-coaster addicts :shock:

Not strictly canon but believable/plausible where they've embroidered or embellished - Sylvester McCoy (Dr Who #7) is legend as Radagast (who wasn't in the book at all) and Barry Humphries is unrecognisable as The Great Goblin but still channels Sir Les whilst doing it all in impeccable Oxbridge English :lol:

Anyone who's an Almighty Johnsons fan (SyFy TV) - Anders is Fili (or was it Kili) with a beard and is GORGEOUS*! :P

*So's Richard Armitage as Thorin... Image
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Going back to see this afternoon in 2D. :D

So you liked it as well Jan , Chris will be disappointed that your review was so short but maybe that was so people who have not seen it yet won't see any spoilers. :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Be interested to see what you think of the differences in the effects Dug (you saw it in IMAX not 3D though?) Perhaps you didn't get the headache and nausea then? :P

Yes, I liked it a lot (embellishments and glossing as well - it all added to the story or pace in some way) and will also go and see what all the 3D fuss is (that seems to come with a better soundtrack too :D ). Perhaps we'd better start another review thread now so we can do spoilers? :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Jan the Imax version was in 3D as I had to wear the glasses, which you don't with the normal Imax I believe, but I never seen a non 3D Imax film to compare.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre