Discworld Computer Game

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld Computer Game

Postby dmtaylor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi there everyone

I've been wondering this for a while, but why has there not been a Discworld game since Noir in 2000?

Does anyone know of any games currently in development?
There's no justice, there's just me
dmtaylor

Re: Discworld Computer Game

Postby Ingsoc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

There was a game for mobile phones released in 2006:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/discworld ... r-of-magic

The reason for no PC games after Noir is probably due to the death of adventure games after the year 2000, maybe with the latest revival of them we will get to see a new Discworld game.
Ingsoc

Postby Molokov » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 am

Well... with Rhianna now working for Narrativia, I'm sure she's got plenty of contacts in the Games industry so maybe she'll kickstart a new Discworld computer game?
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 am

That's certainly a possibility. And I'm sure she'd do a really great job. :D

Welcome to the site Ingsoc and dmtaylor! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 am

I hope so, Noir was fun ^_^
CrysaniaMajere

Postby dmtaylor » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm

I hope so too, I loved the originals. The closest we have at the moment is the text-based Discworld MUD http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/ but it's not quite the same!

I keep toying with the idea of a game, not sure how popular it would be and what type of game it might be, but now that we've had the feature length TV movies there has to be a lot more interest out there. Anyone out there an amateur game maker / know any that might be interested?
There's no justice, there's just me
dmtaylor

Postby Tapasko » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Are there any chances that we would see a Discworld 1, 2 and noir on GOG? They are a store that is dedicated to older PC games and every game they sell is DRM-Free, so you don't hassle with online activation or any other thing like that. Also they fix the older title's so that they will run well in modern operating systems.

They are already selling Broken Sword games and Sierra's older point'n click adventure game and i would love see Discworld games appearing on their store.
http://www.gog.com/
Tapasko

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm not aware of any plans. Have you tried contacting the company and asking them?

I have to say that your post sounds almost like an advert for GOG.com. If I'm wrong about that I apologise. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Tapasko » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm not aware of any plans. Have you tried contacting the company and asking them?

I have to say that your post sounds almost like an advert for GOG.com. If I'm wrong about that I apologise. :?

I tried and i didn't get any answers from them, and i do advertise them since they are doing something good in computer gaming and i'm sorry for doing it.

I grew up with Discworld 1 and i used to play it on Playstation 1 and that's how i started reading Discworld novels, also the games are like interactive storybooks and that's why i love them.
Tapasko

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Like I say, I apologise if I misunderstood. We get a lot of spammers and when someone posts a link to a site in their first post, it looks suspicious. :)

I guess it comes down to holds the rights for the computer games.

Welcome to the site.
Tonyblack

Postby Bickaxe » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Gog .... Good Old Games...

I use them quite often, its a legitimate site and there are a couple of free games on there of old as well as a crap load that aren't published anymore as well as a few new releases (prices in $ but cheap).

Currently waiting for Settlers 3.

PC only I think too.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Ingsoc » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Tapasko wrote:Are there any chances that we would see a Discworld 1, 2 and noir on GOG? They are a store that is dedicated to older PC games and every game they sell is DRM-Free, so you don't hassle with online activation or any other thing like that. Also they fix the older title's so that they will run well in modern operating systems.

They are already selling Broken Sword games and Sierra's older point'n click adventure game and i would love see Discworld games appearing on their store.
http://www.gog.com/

I don't think that GOG has Psygnosis games on its catalog so at this point its seem unlikely.

I remember couple on years ago when ScummVM was starting to support the Discworld games there were some talking about the first game becoming a freeware but nothing seem to come out of it in the end.
Ingsoc

Postby diamondz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:45 am

Should have left a fan in even better cooling?
diamondz

Return to Games