27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

Postby Conforumist » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 pm

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/27-dead-in- ... -1.1079337

Loooooove those guns! (not)
Man, I just don't get it... :cry:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Re: 27 dead in Connecticut school shooting: reports

Postby Quatermass » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Don't get what? Whatever compelled this guy to do this, he deliberately killed not only his parents, which is bad enough, but murdered a bunch of kids. This is more than [EFF!]ed up.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 am

I don't have any words for this. Just devastating, those poor families. Never miss and opportunity to tell your family you love them.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Conforumist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:53 am

Quatermass wrote:Don't get what? Whatever compelled this guy to do this, he deliberately killed not only his parents, which is bad enough, but murdered a bunch of kids. This is more than [EFF!]ed up.

Yeah, like I said; I don't get it!
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby RSoak » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 am

Tragic and moreso it will unfortunately cause enormous overreactions - attempts to put armed guards or police in every school or some other untenable plan.

Completely futile.

TSA's annual budget is over $8 billion. This year alone two women admitted to accidentally boarding planes with loaded handguns. I would imagine you could multiply that by five at least with those who were too scared to fess up.

US Border Patrol's annual budget is over $11 billion and I don't think we need to qualify that one with statistics.

It's completely tragic and believe me I was elated to pick up my daughter from school today and even more so that she would remain ignorant of this tragedy.

"Life is pain highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something" - DPR
It's not who you know, it's who I know. - Dad

The enemy of good is perfect. - Mom
RSoak

Postby swreader » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:09 am

There are no words to express the horror and sadness I (and most Americans) feel. Perhaps, just maybe, this senseless killing because of the ages of so many of the victims will finally get most Americans to face the fact that we must have better gun control laws and we must also increase the mental health screening. The murderers of Columbine, Aurora, Virginia Tech, Tucson, and today--are all obviously disturbed individuals. But they had no trouble getting guns. :evil: :evil: When will we ever learn? :(
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 am

What a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all those involved. I confess that I don't understand this sort of action that seems to becoming more and more common. I can only think that the perpetrator has some twisted sense that such actions will make them somehow infamous. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:42 am

I doubt that infamy or fame has any part in some of these shootings. This one may very well be little more than a suicide where the suicidal also wants to take as many people with them as possible. It's less a case of desire for fame and more of an extreme case of wanting to hurt people before dying. That's my opinion, anyway.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:17 am

so many children.. just read about it in the paper.. I don't get it.
Why when someone go crazy he must take it out on children.. I don't care what was going on in his head, it's just that yes, when it happens to children it is a worse tragedy, because they should be protected... I want to cry, if I weren't in the damn shop... the world is really F..ed up..
CrysaniaMajere

Postby chillicamper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:31 am

Ohhhhh! :( :( What can you say. It breaks my heart when I read things like this. My thoughts are with all those poor families.

Some of the reporting on this last night was awful. Camera crews zooming in on anguished parents crying.....leave them alone you vultures! :evil: And the reporter saying what a terrible time of year for this to happen....errr no.......it's a horrendous thing to happen at any time of year.... not just because it's near Christmas!

Sister Jennifer wrote: Never miss and opportunity to tell your family you love them.

I never do......but they will all be getting extra hugs from me today.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Del » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 am

I had a long long day today. But what kept me bright and breezy and energized all day was working with kids...hundreds of them. Santa.. and a whole host of other characters any one of whom the kids would be delighted to meet. A day of utter joy and the parents were just as delighted seeing their kids so excited. It was all broadcast around the huge store and some of the childrens reactions were so wonderful it brought large sections of the crowds to tears... happy tears.

My girls were also a bit teary with delight when I was telling them about some the most wonderful parts of my day.

Then THIS came on the news and we have been in tears of sorrow. My heart breaks for the parents and families.. There is no understanding this or making sense of it.

Yes my girls watched it. They are informed. We don't have this happen here but they both know exactly what to do in a school lockdown.

Morgan Just can't understand why people have this level of access to guns. As she said... if we didn't have such strict gun laws none of us would be here now.

I don't care about the right to bear arms... these babies had a right to grow up in a safe environment. What will it take to get some kind of gun control in America.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:08 am

This is so sad. :(
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby UnseenTerryPratchett » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:10 am

It's an understatement to even say this is sickening. Sickening doesn't even cut it with me to be honest, it's way worse than that.

What I don't understand is the killer who is apparently the brother of a guy questioned over it was in fact autistic. He has been claimed to of been 'awkward in social situations' and 'one who would detract attention' when in the classroom. He was generally a mentally disturbed loner who if indeed the school or other places he attended for education noticed this he should have been helped.
UnseenTerryPratchett
UnseenTerryPratchett

Postby Del » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

ASD has many many different variations. I don't think you can blame the syndrome for this. I have two nephews with autism and they are like chalk and cheese.

You might be surprised who you meet with varying levels of ASD and never be aware of it... and I wouldn't imagine for a minute they would do something like this.

This guy had access to guns.... thats the main problem.

Like my daughter said.. can you imagine if my ex had access to a gun. Why does ANY person need access to assault rapid fire guns.

Why do children have to be locked in schools as the "norm".

It shocking. It's so viciously f***ed up... these were tiny children. But was it any worse for the parents who lost their children in Columbine because they were teens? Was it any less painful for the small children who lost their parents in the theatre?

I agree that it's a despicable act filming the distraught parents in unimaginable grief... ratings ! Great TV.

But you know what? Show it... show it over and over because THAT will be another parent and another parent time and time again until enough people say this is enough .
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:24 am

And speaking as someone with Asperger's syndrome myself, the killer being autistic is, if not irrelevant, then not the main reason for him being a killer. The media like to latch onto anything to blame for things like this. Autism can heighten alienation and social exclusion, but not all alienated and socially excluded people snap and go on a shooting spree, do they? :|

Quatermass

Next

Return to The Broken Drum