File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby Joolz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Dotsie wrote:As in, they'll just try drugs once. But of course you can't.

You can :)
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:The words of a rape victim - "If only I had teeth down there" - have inspired the design of a new anti-rape device.

Rapex - dubbed the 'rape trap' - is a product worn internally by women. The hollow inside is lined with rows of razor-sharp hooks, which are designed to latch on to a rapist's penis during penetration. They can only be removed by a doctor.

The product will be on the shelves of South African chemists and supermarkets later this month. South African mother-of-two Sonette Ehlers developed the original prototype in 2005 but has struggled to get it patented and approved for sale, not least because of staunch opposition from feminist groups.

"Vengeful, horrible, and disgusting," was the response from Charlene Smith, one of South Africa's leading anti-rape campaigners. Lisa Vetten, of the Centre of Violence and Reconciliation in Johannesburg, says: "This is like going back to the days when women were forced to wear chastity belts. It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape."

Some also fear that the sudden infliction of pain on the rapist could incite him to even greater violence.

Ehlers, however, is adamant that desperate times call for desperate measures. South Africa has the world's highest rate of sexual assault: a staggering 1.7m women are raped each year. She believes the product, priced at one Rand, will be particularly useful for poorer black women who walk long distances to and from work.

With state intervention frustratingly slow, Ehlers argues this ugly version of empowerment is justified. "I don't hate men," she says. "I have not got revenge in mind. All I am doing is giving women their power back." ·

:o

They had something like it called a 'vagina dentata' in Neal Stephenson's book Snow Crash. Once more, life imitates art. :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 am

And speaking of sexual crimes, Jimmy Savile has apparently racked up a very big rap sheet.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/12/13/Savile_a_suspect_in_199_crimes_31_rapes_825932.html

:|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 am

Joolz wrote:
Dotsie wrote:As in, they'll just try drugs once. But of course you can't.

You can :)

Crystal meth? Pot doesn't count :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Thing is.... you just don't seen whole lot of OLD drug addicts.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Del wrote:Thing is.... you just don't seen whole lot of OLD drug addicts.

Except Keith Richards - how he's managed to stay alive is something short of miraculous :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I saw an interview with him once... he was asked HOW he had survived the drugs... he said "I'm f*****g RICH hahaha .... I get the best drugs.. no sh*t and not alotta people can afford to have a doctor sitting beside them. Hahahahaha I'm f*****g RICH!" At which point he laughed so much he almost choked

. He certainly seemed VERY happy in that interview.
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:43 pm

He's probably right. Janice Joplin didn't die from an overdose of heroin, she died from bad heroin. In those days people took heroin to come down from LSD and she generally paid a chemist friend to check over her supplies. He was out of town so she took a chance.

Part of the problem with some drugs is what the suppliers will 'cut' them with to make the supply go further and therefore make more money.

I've known people who have gotten addicted to crack. It had a terrible effect on them, both physically and mentally. I was offered a smoke of some but refused. There can be a lot of peer pressure to try it with those already addicted assuring friends that it's not a problem.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Says the bloke with 4,000 tablets from the NHS in his bathroom cabinet. :lol:
Del

Postby Broccolee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Yeah but they were supposed to be supplements,werent they....although...depending on what exactly you intend to supplement.... :lol:
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:32 pm

His income... :lol: :lol:

*hide me.. hide me*
Del

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:

Except Keith Richards - how he's managed to stay alive is something short of miraculous :roll:

Keef quit the hard stuff in '78 when he was mid thirties - if he'd stayed on it I doubt he'd be the living legend he is today.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 pm

MongoGutman wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:

Keef quit the hard stuff in '78 when he was mid thirties - if he'd stayed on it I doubt he'd be the living legend he is today.

Keef quit heroin in 1978, but didn't quit cocaine (which can be just as damaging) until 2006. One assumes he never quit drinking at all.
raisindot

Postby MongoGutman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 pm

raisindot wrote:Keef quit heroin in 1978, but didn't quit cocaine (which can be just as damaging) until 2006. One assumes he never quit drinking at all.

"...and that is why Keef cannot be killed by conventional weapons..." ~ Wayne's World 2
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 pm

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum