Breaking News : New Royal Babby

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Breaking News : New Royal Babby

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 pm

EDIT - And I do accept that it was probably not done with any real malice, it was a case of getting carried away doing something stupid and not properly considering the possible consequences. But it was a real screw up.

And anybody involved in the decision to broadcast it without consent deserves the book thrown at them.

There seems to be no Common Sense in the world today.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.............. Why did nobody at the radio station, hear what they'd recorded and think "Someone might lose their job over this" ??

That's the minimum result they should have thought about BEFORE they broadcast it.

And, as an aside, the Aussie radio station should REALLY think about changing their lawyers.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.............. Why did nobody at the radio station, hear what they'd recorded and think "Someone might lose their job over this" ??

They probably thought, "As long as it ain't mine, we're doin' fine." :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Later in 2009 ... Kyle and Jackie O hooked up a teenager to a lie detector while her mother grilled her about her sex life. The stunt blew up in their faces when the girl suddenly revealed she had been raped when she was 12.

That segment led to another police investigation, and got the DJs a week-long suspension.

Apparently, Kyle's next question to the girl was "And was that your only sexual experience?". Which should tell you all you need to know about the thought processes at this place.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby AuntyVague » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am

I think that there are many people out there who have a taste for cruel humour and celebrity gossip. There must be, because then the radio stations, the 'practical joke' segments and the newspaper and magazine articles that regularly invade people's privacy would not exist.

The humiliation of being the victim of this sort of prank would be awful and to be caught up in this stupid prank was a tragedy for the nurse, her family and everyone that cared for her.

I didn't see the interview with the announcers, but if those directly involved did not take full responsibility for their own actions, then they seriously need to reconsider that standpoint. But if the radio announcers are 'dogs' and have 'blood on their hands' then do the people who listen in (and buy the celebrity rags) and the 'family brands' who advertise share some responsibility? I'm not sure about other countries, but it seems here that we are so often falling over each other to point the finger of accusation, without ever looking at our own consumer behaviour...we seem to think indirect responsibility is no responsibility at all, but bullies are nothing without bystanders.

*snip*
Jack Remillard wrote:I accept that as two relatively thick skinned people from a culture where pranks are (apparently) considered normal, they might not have been able to understand how that kind of prank could hurt somebody, but that really was a failing on their part.

*snip

One small concern that I do have, is that people might consider that this behaviour is normal for Australian society. Yes, we have yobs who listen to this drivel and that is what keeps them in business, but we are not a culture entirely made up of of sociopaths.
AuntyVague

Postby simmonds91 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 pm

I think this thread has gone off topic a bit, no? There were a lot of marriages on the 12th of the 12th at 12 o clock, I think the royal marriage/childbirth should have happened then, I mean sure the royal family has no real power anymore but they could at least be symbolic (im kidding of course)
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:14 pm

AuntyVague wrote:*snip*
Jack Remillard wrote:I accept that as two relatively thick skinned people from a culture where pranks are (apparently) considered normal, they might not have been able to understand how that kind of prank could hurt somebody, but that really was a failing on their part.

*snip

One small concern that I do have, is that people might consider that this behaviour is normal for Australian society. Yes, we have yobs who listen to this drivel and that is what keeps them in business, but we are not a culture entirely made up of of sociopaths.

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to generalize there. It's just I'd read a defence of radio pranks as being "part of the Australian make-up" (I believe it was in this article - http://www.news.com.au/world/hospital-r ... 6532600709 ) which I obviously didn't buy, but it did seem like that might have been a common attitude at least.
Jack Remillard

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Please.... I honestly can't list one single person ever herein Australia who wasn't horrified about the Kyle stunt with the young girl who had been raped... and yes. . Then as now.. there was certainly more than one person should have been held accountable.

I agree with Aunty V... and we are not the only country who does these prank calls or who publish trash mags.

That article you refer to Jack was quotes by Jeff Kennet when is a former politician and major spokesman for Beyond Blue.... he has raised awareness and funding for depression here in Australia.. what he is ttrying to say is Let's not compound this tragedy by pushing these announcers even further. Agree.

And far from this Sydney radio show being beamed out to millions... it was just a Sydney programme that only escalated because they DID get through to the hospital room! So first and foremost I think everyone was shocked at THAT . They had only been in the job for a week if I remember.

I live in Australia and the only time I even hear about this station is when they do something atrocious. I think you may gather from the views expressed from other Australian forum members that we are as upset about these events as anyone. Please don't generalise and tar us with the same brush.

I think that article also confuses "a prank mentality that is part of the Australian make-up" with our ability to laugh at a joke at our own expense.

They are two totally different things... turns my stomach that people would think we are all like that.

So are all UK members okay if we generalise about you guys if I take my information from any number of sleazy or dumb downed sources? Same for the American members?

Dumb stupid idiotic stunts come out of every country every day via radio, newspapers, TV and the internet.... and they make 'news' ...and sadly things 'just' the big story this week... next week it will be lining the cocky's cage.. and in the meantime they are ALL making money off it... that's the be all and end game.

I worked in radio for a while... they don't need to change the laws.. they broke the laws.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 pm

I don't believe for a moment that this is just an Australian thing. It's just a case that the Aussie stunt backfired and the media from other countries where very quick to deflect blame away from their own dodgy practices. One would hope that all these stations would learn by this - sadly, I suspect they won't.

As I said in my previous post - sneering at other people and humiliation are very common in entertainment. It seems to me that the main purpose (for example) of such talent shows as Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor is not to find the talented, but to display and humiliate the untalented. Other shows (I only watched it once) such as Gordon Ramsey's Hell's Kitchen, seem to take great pleasure out of making people look stupid and yelling at them.

The odd thing is that people seem to volunteer to be put through such shows. I think it's the hope that they will somehow become rich celebrities without really trying. The promise of celebrity is something that seems to be rammed down our throats regularly.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I still remember the complete U turn the British media did when Jade Goody contracted cancer and died. Talk about turning someone from sinner to saint! The hypocrisy was appalling. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Del wrote:Please.... I honestly can't list one single person ever herein Australia who wasn't horrified about the Kyle stunt with the young girl who had been raped... and yes. . Then as now.. there was certainly more than one person should have been held accountable.

I agree with Aunty V... and we are not the only country who does these prank calls or who publish trash mags.

That article you refer to Jack was quotes by Jeff Kennet when is a former politician and major spokesman for Beyond Blue.... he has raised awareness and funding for depression here in Australia.. what he is ttrying to say is Let's not compound this tragedy by pushing these announcers even further. Agree.

And far from this Sydney radio show being beamed out to millions... it was just a Sydney programme that only escalated because they DID get through to the hospital room! So first and foremost I think everyone was shocked at THAT . They had only been in the job for a week if I remember.

I live in Australia and the only time I even hear about this station is when they do something atrocious. I think you may gather from the views expressed from other Australian forum members that we are as upset about these events as anyone. Please don't generalise and tar us with the same brush.

I think that article also confuses "a prank mentality that is part of the Australian make-up" with our ability to laugh at a joke at our own expense.

They are two totally different things... turns my stomach that people would think we are all like that.

So are all UK members okay if we generalise about you guys if I take my information from any number of sleazy or dumb downed sources? Same for the American members?

Dumb stupid idiotic stunts come out of every country every day via radio, newspapers, TV and the internet.... and they make 'news' ...and sadly things 'just' the big story this week... next week it will be lining the cocky's cage.. and in the meantime they are ALL making money off it... that's the be all and end game.

I worked in radio for a while... they don't need to change the laws.. they broke the laws.

I am very sorry to have offended you. Please accept my apology. :( I'm feeling very stupid now. :oops: I wish I hadn't engaged in this thread now, as the last thing I wanted to do was upset anyone.

I really didn't mean to generalise, hence my use of the word 'apparently'. And at the time I posted that, I could not remember the detail of the article, it just struck me as possibly relevant in terms of their attitude if some people did think of radio pranks that way. Which clearly isn't the case.

I'll shut up now. :oops:
Last edited by Jack Remillard on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Remillard

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Dotsie wrote:Which should tell you all you need to know about the thought processes at this place.

Just so you know, by "at this place", I was talking about the radio station. Not Australia ;)

I hate reality TV :evil: Mr Dotsie likes the Apprentice, but he fast-forwards through the slagging-off parts :roll: If the last government hadn't given peerages like sweeties, he wouldn't have this honorific he's so pleased about.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 pm

No Jack... if there is one thing that this forum is great for its open discussion. It's one of THE most open forums I have ever had the pleasure to be.a.part of.

And it's been known to get heated at times.

I didn't take it as a.personal attack .

Nor by you Dotsie ....

I was mainly commenting on how idiotic the press can generalise or take things out of context and their highbrow investigative journalism ends up being more tripe .

I don't equate gutter press with reality TV... where people voluntarily put themselves on the chopping block.... in fact I love Big Brother.. The Only Way Is Essex... but if the girls ever stray into Top Model.. or the music competitions.. I constantly remind them the REAL in reality TV isn't....it's all about ratings.

Pranks shows on people who DIDN'T put themselves up.. or gossip about people who didn't chose to be in the public eye is very different.

I don't buy trash mags... but I do admit to loving reading the really old out of date one's in doctor's waiting rooms.... OH how WRONG they got it!!!

Did you see the gorgeous wedding pics of Brad and Jenn 's wedding? $6 million dollars for a wedding! Well.... you only do it once right?
Del

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Del wrote:No Jack... if there is one thing that this forum is great for its open discussion. It's one of THE most open forums I have ever had the pleasure to be.a.part of.

And it's been known to get heated at times.

I didn't take it as a.personal attack .

Thank you. :) I hate getting into online conflict and make every effort not to, but I kind of caught myself by surprise with that one. :oops: I really do try very hard not to generalise about large groups of people.

I'll stick with it...
Jack Remillard

Postby Del » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Nah.. don't stress Jack.... I make allowances for people who post cats as avatars :lol: :lol: :lol:

:o ... ummmm Hi boss :D

*run away... run away...*
Del

Postby Jack Remillard » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Del wrote:Nah.. don't stress Jack.... I make allowances for people who post cats as avatars :lol: :lol: :lol:

What cat? I have most forum images blocked when I'm at work. :lol:
:o ... ummmm Hi boss :D

*run away... run away...*

Um, yes. :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby AuntyVague » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm

No worries from me either Jack. I'd love to say I'd never been guilty of generalising myself but that would be a distinct case of 'Liar! Liar! Pants of fire!' I can also see how the article and the quotes from Mr Kennett could give you the impression that we all think what happened is just fine. I do think what he is driving at is, as Del has said, not to persecute the next individual in turn as blame is not going to heal the problem.

I hope segments of our media (and just as importantly individual consumers) learn from this, but I can't help remembering the tragic circumstances surrounding Dianna's death and how contrite everyone was about their thirst for royal gossip and intimate pictures then.

...and I've made a mental note that Del makes allowances for people with cat avatars too :)
AuntyVague

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum